Kindle Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a book on my Kindle that i know the publisher updated (because i am the publisher), but i can't figure out how to get the new version on my devices. When i delete it and reload from the "cloud", it just returns the original version. Is there any way for me to get the updated version of a Kindle book i already bought?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
63,460 Posts
You have to update it first in your library.  If there is an update available, it will be listed.  

Got to Manage Your Kindle. (www.amazon.com/myk)  On the first page, select "Available for Update" from the dropdown menu where you designate what is shown.  If there is an update available for the book it will show up.  Go to the listing of the book, and in the drop down menu on the right, select "Update this Title."  

Betsy

·
Premium Member
63,460 Posts
nico said:
Thanks, Betsy, but i don't see any "Available to update" in the menu. Just:

Books
Newspapers
Magazines
Blogs
Personal Documents
Audible Audiobooks
Active Content
Your Apps
Amazon Instant Videos
You may have to scroll down. To clarify, Loans and Available to Update will be there IF there are updates or loans. If it isn't there, the update hasn't been made available yet through Amazon. You said you know that an update is available--did you hear from the author?

Betsy

·
Registered
524 Posts
Nico, go to the library/cloud/archive and select your book. At the end of the line is a box, "actions" I think, click and a menu drops down. Update should be near the top of the list. If it's grayed-out, call Ki8ndle.

·
Super Moderator
67,387 Posts
Betsy the Quilter said:
You may have to scroll down. To clarify, Loans and Available to Update will be there IF there are updates or loans. If it isn't there, the update hasn't been made available yet through Amazon. You said you know that an update is available--did you hear from the author?

Betsy
He said he was the publisher, so presumably he knows.

But, they have changed what they show there, and I don't see where I have any updates showing either. So I can't say for sure if they've done away with that or not. Still, I think Betsy's earlier comment is correct. If there's no option that says 'update available' that probably means it's not.

I think that the publisher has to specifically request that Amazon make that notation for people who've already bought the book. And they won't do it unless they judge it as being a fairly major update, especially if it is fixing reported formatting problems.

I'd ask in the Writer's Cafe -- I know some folks here HAVE had Amazon make the notation but, in the specific case I'm thinking if, it was a matter of several weeks for them to do it. I was testing the formatting for the author so was kept apprised and checked periodically for an 'update available' notation.

Also, as patrick mentioned, the other way to check is to go to the book on the MYK page and see if 'update' is one of the options over to the right. That might be there even if the changes weren't deemed enough to have a 'category' in the drop down box. :-\

·
Premium Member
63,460 Posts
Sorry, missed that he was the publisher somehow.  :eek:  I think I was sleep posting, LOL!

But they haven't done away with it; I went to doublecheck how it worked and I had six or seven books available for update.

And you're right, Ann, it did take several weeks for us to be notified of a book's update in the one case.

Betsy

·
Super Moderator
67,387 Posts
Betsy the Quilter said:
Sorry, missed that he was the publisher somehow. :eek: I think I was sleep posting, LOL!

But they haven't done away with it; I went to doublecheck how it worked and I had six or seven books available for update.

And you're right, Ann, it did take several weeks for us to be notified of a book's update in the one case.

Betsy
Ah! Good to know. . . I didn't have any, so couldn't be sure whether there really were none or they'd changed something. :)

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have no updates on any of the books i've purchased. For books i've purchased that we've published (and updated through KDP), i do not see any way to update them through the Manage Your Kindle page. I will contact KDP and ask how this is done and report back here with whatever i hear from them.

·
Premium Member
63,460 Posts
Nico,

Since you are the publisher, this is seeming to me to be a Writers' Café type of thread.  The issue is how, as publisher, you can push the updates out to your readers.

And I think you might get some good feedback from your fellow authors there.

I'm going to move this, thanks for understanding.

Betsy

1 - 13 of 13 Posts