Kindle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just reviewed an email confirmation of (yet another) download I purchased last night and was surprised that there is no tax on the book.  I'm in CA so I usually do pay sales tax on books but this is just another added bonus of having a Kindle, I guess.

I suppose it won't be very long until the Man catches on and will tax downloads but until then, I'm happy!

·
Registered
829 Posts
I live in NH and we don't have sales tax here so I would not have noticed that feature but I think it is GREAT!!

·
Registered
9,762 Posts
Kristena said:
I just reviewed an email confirmation of (yet another) download I purchased last night and was surprised that there is no tax on the book.
Hi Kristena,

Welcome.

Merchants are required to charge sales tax only in sales in their home state so my guess is that only Washington residents would be charged sales tax.

Jeff

·
Registered
509 Posts
Internet merchants do not charge state sales tax unless those merchants have a physical location in the ship-to state. I'm a NH resident also so like Kirstin I never get charged.

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
This is why I always make a lot of purchases on line. I am a photographer and never, ever buy equipment locally. I usaully buy from B&H in NY though I recently got a good deal on a lens I wanted on Amazon. I love when I can find something I want, at a good price on Amazon since it is a merchant I know is honest with great customer service. (So is B&H by the way)

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
I have never been charged tax on any Amazon purchase.  No shipping, no tax and mostly lower prices is why I make most of my purchases from Amazon.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Washington state residents have to pay the 9% sales tax on Kindle orders--even if they're away at the time of purchase.  I bought a book on my Kindle while waiting for a flight at the Boston airport and was charged tax.  I was kind of hoping the Amazon system would be smart enough to recognize I wasn't in Washington at the time of purchase and not charge me.  Alas, no.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I believe Nevada has no sales tax either and I know they have a shipping warehouse there; I seem to get a lot of my DTB shipments from Nevada.  I guess I've never really paid too much attention to the tax thing though I was familiar with the location of the shipper.

Nevertheless, it's still a lovely benefit (for those of us not in WA....) and another reason to love my Kindle.  (And yes, property taxes are due here in CA. :-\)

·
Registered
509 Posts
Geemont said:
Washington state residents have to pay the 9% sales tax on Kindle orders--even if they're away at the time of purchase. I bought a book on my Kindle while waiting for a flight at the Boston airport and was charged tax. I was kind of hoping the Amazon system would be smart enough to recognize I wasn't in Washington at the time of purchase and not charge me. Alas, no.
You should get some kind of bonus for having to connect through Logan. ;D
The sales tax is assessed by registered home address, though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts