Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess we'll be able to link our accounts to our phones now as well?
Per a New York Times article:

"Also Thursday, Amazon said that it was working on making the titles for its popular e-book reader, the Kindle, available on a variety of mobile phones. The company, which is expected to unveil a new version of the Kindle next week, did not say when Kindle titles would be available on mobile phones."

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/06/technology/internet/06google.html

·
Registered
788 Posts
This is a smart move on Amazon's part. They'll be able to sell books to all of the people who think the Kindle is ugly and would rather read on a 4.5 x 2.4 inch backlit LCD screen.

·
Registered
5,981 Posts
I guess this will make some folks happy. Why would I want to read a book on my cell phone? If it helps increase the number of ebooks that become available, I am cool with it.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I have my iPhone with me in situations when I don't have my Kindle.  As the Munsey's blog said this morning, how cool would it be to be able to read a few chapters/pages on your iPhone while waiting in line in the supermarket, then go home and pick up exactly where you left off in the Kindle - a use for the "sync to last location" in the new firmware?

·
Registered
182 Posts
tlrowley said:
how cool would it be to be able to read a few chapters/pages on your iPhone while waiting in line in the supermarket, then go home and pick up exactly where you left off in the Kindle - a use for the "sync to last location" in the new firmware?
That sounds like a very cool use-case.

·
Registered
860 Posts
tlrowley said:
I have my iPhone with me in situations when I don't have my Kindle. As the Munsey's blog said this morning, how cool would it be to be able to read a few chapters/pages on your iPhone while waiting in line in the supermarket, then go home and pick up exactly where you left off in the Kindle - a use for the "sync to last location" in the new firmware?
I love that idea! But I've been carrying my Kindle everywhere so I read it while in line already. I suppose it's different for women who carry a pocketbook with room to hold the Kindle. Men don't usually have this option.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There are very few situations that I don't have Isabella, but I always have to have a cell phone so I may end up using this for the occasional boring outing.

·
Super Moderator
67,251 Posts
The concept is interesting. . .I don't see myself using it.  I guess I wonder how we'd link our cell phones to amazon.  I'm not on Sprint with my phone. . . and would I want a 'book' on my phone?  I don't know.  I usually have my Kindle with me anyway so if I want to read a book I'd use it.  I have a friend who was showing me how he can read stuff on his phone -- he uses some mobi application -- but he's not reading fiction, he pretty much keeps reference materials that he may need to access for work or for his music (he's a scary good guitarist).  Still, allowing 'kindle' books on phones will extend amazon's market saturation which would tend to mean less chance of my Kindle going obsolete. . so I like that!

I expect more info will come in the press conference on Monday. . . .

Ann

·
Registered
788 Posts
Ann Von Hagel said:
and would I want a 'book' on my phone?
There are a lot of people out there who think that the e-reading program on their iPhones is the best thing since sliced bread. I assume that this is targeting those people (who apparently never get eyestrain).

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ann Von Hagel said:
The concept is interesting. . .I don't see myself using it. I guess I wonder how we'd link our cell phones to amazon. I'm not on Sprint with my phone. . . and would I want a 'book' on my phone? I don't know. I usually have my Kindle with me anyway so if I want to read a book I'd use it. I have a friend who was showing me how he can read stuff on his phone -- he uses some mobi application -- but he's not reading fiction, he pretty much keeps reference materials that he may need to access for work or for his music (he's a scary good guitarist). Still, allowing 'kindle' books on phones will extend amazon's market saturation which would tend to mean less chance of my Kindle going obsolete. . so I like that!

I expect more info will come in the press conference on Monday. . . .

Ann
I have an Amazon application on my iPhone that 'knows' who I am, so the ability to read who you are is there.

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
tlrowley said:
I have my iPhone with me in situations when I don't have my Kindle. As the Munsey's blog said this morning, how cool would it be to be able to read a few chapters/pages on your iPhone while waiting in line in the supermarket, then go home and pick up exactly where you left off in the Kindle - a use for the "sync to last location" in the new firmware?
That sounds like something that could be true. Maybe it's the reason Amazon said we would all have our updates within four days, which would make it in time for the press conference. Now I am intrigued ... not that I have an iphone.

·
Super Moderator
67,251 Posts
Jesslyn said:
I have an Amazon application on my iPhone that 'knows' who I am, so the ability to read who you are is there.
Ah. . so I'm guessing I'd have to have a 'data plan' which we don't on our phones right now. My choice, then, would be to pay a high per minute rate, or buy an unlimited data plan with Verizon; either way it'll cost me more. I'll keep an eye on it but I still don't think it'll be something I need. . .though, again, everything that will prevent Kindle obsolescence is a good thing in my book! (er. .. on my Kindle?;))

Ann

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Mikuto said:
This is a smart move on Amazon's part. They'll be able to sell books to all of the people who think the Kindle is ugly and would rather read on a 4.5 x 2.4 inch backlit LCD screen.
I can't figure out why this is so popular. It can't be very easy to read. Is it the "gadget" factor? Do people want it because it is "cool" and they can say to other people "look, I can read a book on my cellphone". It is cool, but I just don't see it as very practical. But I do admit it will sell, I just don't understand why.

Steve

·
Registered
11,722 Posts
I have the ebook app on my ipod touch. I tried it out the other day and can't see myself using it on a regular basis. The Kindle is so much easier to read. I can see having it for those rare occasions I forget Edgar, or even for reading on the sly at work (Edgar stands out now in his purple Oberon so I can't sneak him into my apron anymore). I do think that the sync to furthest read is to support this and will be good.

Personally, I'd still rather have folders (or tags) though. I really expected this newest update to support folders. It's got to be the #1 request from Kindle owners.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I have an ebook app on my Ipod touch.  It's not that great reading on it.  Ok, so it's backlit.  I think the backlighting makes it harder to read.  Anyway...  I wonder if you purchased a book through Kindle, would you be able to have it in both places(phone and Kindle)?

·
Registered
11,722 Posts
Teach142 said:
I have an ebook app on my Ipod touch. It's not that great reading on it. Ok, so it's backlit. I think the backlighting makes it harder to read. Anyway... I wonder if you purchased a book through Kindle, would you be able to have it in both places(phone and Kindle)?
You know how you can have the content on up to 5 Kindles? Maybe they'll allow it on 5 devices. You just need to authorize your ipod/iphone on the account. Then sync between them.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Teach142 said:
I have an ebook app on my Ipod touch. It's not that great reading on it. Ok, so it's backlit. I think the backlighting makes it harder to read. Anyway... I wonder if you purchased a book through Kindle, would you be able to have it in both places(phone and Kindle)?
What eBook app are you using? Taking the backlight issue and the Touch as a device out of the equation for a minute, are you happy with the app? I have a Touch too, and was curious what the best eBook app is.

·
Registered
38 Posts
My DH has the eReader app on his iPhoner and uses it all the time... he loves John Sandford novels right now. ;-) Anyway, he has his screen color set to a dark blue, soi this may be why he doesn't seem to get eyestrain. Personally, I have been reading so much on my Kindle the last couple of weeks that I have really dry eyes, and I am taking a day or two off.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Mikuto said:
That's very cool. Thanks for the link. :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts