Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you who download your books to the computer to put them on your Kindle, is it possible save them to a thumb drive or SD card? Jeni

·
Registered
71 Posts
lostknitter,

You can save the downloaded files to any device to which you could save other files -- thumb drives, SD cards, external hard drives, CDs...  It seems that some Kindle users backup their files.  Others, for those books purchased from Amazon, simply rely of the ability to re download any previously purchased book from Amazon.  In other words, Amazon keeps a record of what you bought and you can get another copy from them.

Van...

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
If you dont back them up you might lose your stuff. Don't want to waste my money by buying things and then losing them.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
I have all of my books (Amazon and non-Amazon) backed up on a thumb drive. I have two copies of each Amazon book, one for K1 and one for K2. I rename the files to indicate which Kindle they are for and keep them in two separate folders named apprpriately for each Kindle also. I have about 1200 book files and it's hardly made a dent in my 2gb thumb drive.

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
DD, can I ask why you save them twice, once for each K, and name them for each K?  I'm not understanding why that would be necessary.  I'm going to be have a K1 and 2 and I think I need to understand this.  Thank you.

deb

·
Super Moderator
67,251 Posts
deb, if you download a book twice, once to THIS Kindle and once to THAT Kindle, you need to keep track of which back up file is which copy, because if you try to load the book originally d/l'ed to THIS Kindle onto THAT Kindle, it won't work.  This is true if they are Amazon purchased books; non-DRM from other places should not be a problem.

Or such is my understanding anyway. . . .

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
Ann, thank you.  Now, I understand.  I knew that, just hadn't needed to think about it since I only had one K.  Boy, I'm glad this came up now or I would have not understood why I couldn't access my books at some later date. 
Thank you very much.
deb

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
How do I know if an Amazon book is a DRM version? Maybe I haven't run across any yet, as my daughter and I are sharing an account, and I don't think we've had a problem with this. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
67,251 Posts
All books purchased from Amazon have DRM as far as I know -- whether it's free, or public domain, or whatever.  When you buy one, the 'license' is generally good for up to six devices on the account.  So if you download it to YOUR Kindle, and later your daughter downloads it to HER Kindle, you don't have a problem -- she doesn't have to pay for it again or anything.

BUT, say you have made a back-up copy of the book from the download to YOUR Kindle.  One day your daughter is at your house, and decides she'd like it to have that book too.  Rather than downloading directly from Amazon, she copies your backup to HER Kindle.  It won't work.  The specific 'copy' you have, has codes to let it know that it can only be read on YOUR Kindle and not HER Kindle.  If she wants her own copy, she has to download it from Amazon to HER Kindle so the file will be linked to HER Kindle.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Since Amazon keeps a record of what you purchased and if you happen to re-download it, do they charge you a small fee? I've never bothered re-downloading anything before.

·
Super Moderator
67,251 Posts
Kind said:
Since Amazon keeps a record of what you purchased and if you happen to re-download it, do they charge you a small fee? I've never bothered re-downloading anything before.
Nope. You already bought it. It's yours. I think of it as a part of the cost I pay is for storage on their servers.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
drenee said:
DD, can I ask why you save them twice, once for each K, and name them for each K? I'm not understanding why that would be necessary. I'm going to be have a K1 and 2 and I think I need to understand this. Thank you.

deb
drenee, Ann is right. I do it because I want to keep track of which file was downloaded for which Kindle.

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
Thanks, DD.  When I read your post I was thinking what you were doing was overkill.  LOL.  Brain freeze I guess.  But like I said, I'm glad you said that since I'm going to be reciving a K2 next week sometime. 
deb

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
drenee said:
Thanks, DD. When I read your post I was thinking what you were doing was overkill. LOL. Brain freeze I guess. But like I said, I'm glad you said that since I'm going to be reciving a K2 next week sometime.
deb
Congratulations on your new Kindle, Deb!

·
Registered
71 Posts
drenee said:
Thanks, DD. When I read your post I was thinking what you were doing was overkill. LOL. Brain freeze I guess. But like I said, I'm glad you said that since I'm going to be reciving a K2 next week sometime.
deb
New Kindle 2, deb. Fantastic. Do you know what time your UPS driver arrives -- to the MINUTE?

Van...

·
Registered
446 Posts
Well my question is.  I currently have 2 Kindles on my account because I am getting a replacement for sun fade issue ... however when I log in and it gives me a drop down next to each book of what I can do, I can send it to Kindle 1, Kindle 2, or download to computer.  So I only have one choice of downloading to computer, so how do I know which Kindle's DRM info it's going to have?

Rachel

·
Registered
71 Posts
Athenagwis said:
Well my question is. I currently have 2 Kindles on my account because I am getting a replacement for sun fade issue ... however when I log in and it gives me a drop down next to each book of what I can do, I can send it to Kindle 1, Kindle 2, or download to computer. So I only have one choice of downloading to computer, so how do I know which Kindle's DRM info it's going to have?

Rachel
Rachel,

The DRM will allow the downloaded book to be read on either Kindle since they are in the same Amazon account. Pretty cool.

Van...

·
Registered
446 Posts
Van in Arlington said:
Rachel,

The DRM will allow the downloaded book to be read on either Kindle since they are in the same Amazon account. Pretty cool.

Van...
Verra cool and might be a way for those with actual multi-Kindles to not have to worry about separating copies of books!

Rachel

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Van in Arlington said:
Rachel,

Van...
No, it won't. When you download to the computer, you get another pop-up asking which Kindle to download for.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts