Kindle Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
3,157 Posts
I have all of my books (Amazon and non-Amazon) backed up on a thumb drive. I have two copies of each Amazon book, one for K1 and one for K2. I rename the files to indicate which Kindle they are for and keep them in two separate folders named apprpriately for each Kindle also. I have about 1200 book files and it's hardly made a dent in my 2gb thumb drive.

· Registered
3,157 Posts
drenee said:
DD, can I ask why you save them twice, once for each K, and name them for each K? I'm not understanding why that would be necessary. I'm going to be have a K1 and 2 and I think I need to understand this. Thank you.

deb
drenee, Ann is right. I do it because I want to keep track of which file was downloaded for which Kindle.

· Registered
3,157 Posts
drenee said:
Thanks, DD. When I read your post I was thinking what you were doing was overkill. LOL. Brain freeze I guess. But like I said, I'm glad you said that since I'm going to be reciving a K2 next week sometime.
deb
Congratulations on your new Kindle, Deb!

· Registered
3,157 Posts
reemixx said:
Seconded. When you download a book, it's only ever for a single Kindle. If you want to read that book on a DIFFERENT Kindle on the same account, you have to download it for that specific Kindle (Amazon lets you choose which Kindle you're downloading for).

I think this is a pretty important thing to note. It means multiple backups of books for different Kindles (one lot of books for your K1, one lot of books for your K2, etc). An application such as Calibre comes in handy to organise your books when you have multiple Kindles, as you can just tag each book with the name of the Kindle it belongs to. No more getting confused.

Also, just a word of caution. Think twice about relying on anyone other than yourself to backup your books. I would never rely on Amazon 100%. I sincerely recommend keeping a local copy of all your books. It's not like their file size is a big deal, either.
reemixx, how do you 'tag' a book in Calibre? I went through individually and changed the metadata title for my K1 and K2 books to indicate which Kindle they were for. Is this what you mean or is there an actual tag feature? I can't seem to find how to do it.

· Registered
3,157 Posts
sherylb said:
I bought my Kindle specifically so I could have a portable library, so I have all my books on my KK and backed up to my laptop and to a thumb drive. Call me paranoid, but I just don't like the thought of having to rely on Amazon to keep my books for me. Although the books I have bought from Amazon are only about a quarter of what I have on my KK, I still have many I have not read yet and since they are bought and paid for, I'm definitely not letting them out of my sight.
When I want to read a book I know I have in my library, I don't want to have to go to Amazon and download it or hook up to a computer to transfer it.
And as for backing up in two places...computer drives crash and thumb drives are so small they can be misplaced! ;)
I'm so glad I'm not the only 'paranoid' one. :D

· Registered
3,157 Posts
Yes, that's a good name for it - cautious.

Seriously, though, wouldn't Amazon be a prime target for someone hacking into their files and destroying the backup files.  I mean, if they can do it to banks, they can do it to Amazon - just for the sick thrills these people get from it.  Better safe than sorry, I say.

· Registered
3,157 Posts
Yes, I enjoy the sorting features like being able to enter azw and it only lists the Amazon books.

I do have the latest version and I see the tag sorting option.  I just can't see where to add a tag to a book.  I must be missing something but I searched all over and went to the help site.  Just don't see it.

Thanks.

EDIT:  O-o-p's, sorry.  Just found the tag editor in the metadata screen!  Thanks.  I am really liking Calibre the more I use it.  I wish I could set the author sort to "Last, First".  It always wanst to do it with First Name then a comma, Last Name and then end with a comma.  Can't find a setting to keep it from doing that and I've been going in to change them by hand.

· Registered
3,157 Posts
reemixx said:
DD: You can double click in the tags field to add/edit tags (you can do this with any field). No need to edit the metadata just to add tags. Actually, I rarely use the metadata screen at all.

Yes, the 'author sort' metadata is a bit of a pain, as it doesn't do last,first automatically. I may start editing it manually, and continue to change it each time from now on. I might take this up with the developer at some point, or at least find out what he has to say about it. An option to toggle between first,last and last,first would be perfect, and should be dead simple.
Oh, yes, now I see the double-click on the "tags" column works nicely. Part of the problem was that the "tags" column was not visible by default. I had to discover the little 'configure' button all the way to the right above the book list to add the column.

I got all my author sorts done by hand (a few each day) and now change each book as I add it. When you have a lot of books by one author, the 'change metadata in bulk' option works nicely for this.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.