Kindle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Super Moderator
74,510 Posts
deb, if you download a book twice, once to THIS Kindle and once to THAT Kindle, you need to keep track of which back up file is which copy, because if you try to load the book originally d/l'ed to THIS Kindle onto THAT Kindle, it won't work.  This is true if they are Amazon purchased books; non-DRM from other places should not be a problem.

Or such is my understanding anyway. . . .

· Super Moderator
74,510 Posts
All books purchased from Amazon have DRM as far as I know -- whether it's free, or public domain, or whatever.  When you buy one, the 'license' is generally good for up to six devices on the account.  So if you download it to YOUR Kindle, and later your daughter downloads it to HER Kindle, you don't have a problem -- she doesn't have to pay for it again or anything.

BUT, say you have made a back-up copy of the book from the download to YOUR Kindle.  One day your daughter is at your house, and decides she'd like it to have that book too.  Rather than downloading directly from Amazon, she copies your backup to HER Kindle.  It won't work.  The specific 'copy' you have, has codes to let it know that it can only be read on YOUR Kindle and not HER Kindle.  If she wants her own copy, she has to download it from Amazon to HER Kindle so the file will be linked to HER Kindle.

· Super Moderator
74,510 Posts
Kind said:
Since Amazon keeps a record of what you purchased and if you happen to re-download it, do they charge you a small fee? I've never bothered re-downloading anything before.
Nope. You already bought it. It's yours. I think of it as a part of the cost I pay is for storage on their servers.

· Super Moderator
74,510 Posts
legalbs2 said:
If I copy my .pdf files into a .txt or a .doc format will Kindle allow the use of resizing the fonts?
I would guess so, but they'd no longer be PDF's. The point of the DX was to be able to display PDF's natively, without converting to another file type. If they're mostly text it's not big deal, but if there are images -- drawings, charts, etc -- they won't convert well.

Or such is my understanding. . . .not having a DX in hand as yet, I can't be sure.

· Super Moderator
74,510 Posts
legal, I don't know exactly what you're doing but here is my understanding.

With the DX, you have two choices for a PDF file.  Since, the DX can read PDF files natively, you can transfer it and it will retain the file extension PDF.  It is true, that you can not then, on the Kindle, change the font size, though I understand there is some level of enlargement you can get if you rotate the DX 90°

OR, you can convert it to some other file type so that you can change the font size on the Kindle.  As I said, if it is all text, and you want to be able to adjust font size on the Kindle, this is probably the way to go. 

· Super Moderator
74,510 Posts
It should work. . . . .but I'd definitely test it before counting on it.  Either way he should load it up before he goes.  Also, many places they put into port will have a USO and he ought to be able to use their computers to download if he can access Amazon. 

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.