Kindle Forum banner
41 - 50 of 50 Posts

· Registered
9,650 Posts
legalbs2 said:
Also, does anyone know anything about the MP3 files onto a Kindle? I have iTunes and cannot play .m4a files on the Kindle. Is there a way to make the .m4a files into MP3 files? And, when I go to the Experimental area of my KDX, I cannot toggle down to the MP3 area.
You cannot toggle to the MP3 area until you have at least one MP3 loaded on your Kindle.

As for the M4A files, there are multiple programs that can convert the files to MP3. You can try Googling, or if you list your operating system you will get suggestions here.

· Registered
725 Posts
Ann in Arlington said:
I would guess so, but they'd no longer be PDF's. The point of the DX was to be able to display PDF's natively, without converting to another file type. If they're mostly text it's not big deal, but if there are images -- drawings, charts, etc -- they won't convert well.

Or such is my understanding. . . .not having a DX in hand as yet, I can't be sure.
Ann, the files I transferred via USB to the KDX were .pdfs. The problem is the KDX will not allow the larger font sizes.

So when I transfer them from .pdf to the KDX, they are no longer .pdfs? Weird.

· Super Moderator
74,519 Posts
legal, I don't know exactly what you're doing but here is my understanding.

With the DX, you have two choices for a PDF file.  Since, the DX can read PDF files natively, you can transfer it and it will retain the file extension PDF.  It is true, that you can not then, on the Kindle, change the font size, though I understand there is some level of enlargement you can get if you rotate the DX 90°

OR, you can convert it to some other file type so that you can change the font size on the Kindle.  As I said, if it is all text, and you want to be able to adjust font size on the Kindle, this is probably the way to go. 

· Registered
257 Posts
DD said:
Yes, that's a good name for it - cautious.

Seriously, though, wouldn't Amazon be a prime target for someone hacking into their files and destroying the backup files. I mean, if they can do it to banks, they can do it to Amazon - just for the sick thrills these people get from it. Better safe than sorry, I say.
MAGreen said:
Amazon is cautious too...they have everything backed up several times.
marianner said:
Yeah, I'm almost positive that amazon has more backups than anyone here :)
The issue isn't with someone hacking into Amazon and Amazon losing data.... It's with Amazon intentionally screwing customers over. Amazon have the rights to suddenly pull books or screw around with your library for whatever reason if they deem it valid. I'm not saying they will, but giving someone else completely power is never a good idea, hence why I tell people to manage and control their data themselves, especially when they've paid money for that data.

· Registered
1,157 Posts
reemixx said:
The issue isn't with someone hacking into Amazon and Amazon losing data.... It's with Amazon intentionally screwing customers over. Amazon have the rights to suddenly pull books or screw around with your library for whatever reason if they deem it valid. I'm not saying they will, but giving someone else completely power is never a good idea, hence why I tell people to manage and control their data themselves, especially when they've paid money for that data.
Some good advice here.

· Registered
9,650 Posts

· Registered
12 Posts
Ihope someone will confirm this for me.  I have two kindles registered to my account. ONe is mine - one is my son's.  Son is in the Navy with an  upcoming deployment.  He will not have access to download while deployed -not direct to his kindle and cannot download on navy computers and cannot hook his personal laptop to navy internet.

SO - I can buy him books, download to MY computer under the name of HIS kindle.  Transfer to USB and ship him the USB =- he can then load them on his laptob and transfer to HIS kindle?  But I will have to tell amazon I am downloading for HIS kindle when I do it -
will this work?  He will behome on leave soon and we can test this I suppose!

· Super Moderator
74,519 Posts
It should work. . . . .but I'd definitely test it before counting on it.  Either way he should load it up before he goes.  Also, many places they put into port will have a USO and he ought to be able to use their computers to download if he can access Amazon. 

41 - 50 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.