Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
FYI, I'm going to hang out in chat for the next 20 minutes or so, and if any of you are interested in a price-drop checker for Kindle Books, I'm interested in chatting with ya about it. - Harvey

·
Premium Member
12,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the response! Here are some things that came out of yesterday's chat session:

- You will be able to search for Kindle books, and add them to a watch-list.
- You will be alerted by email when the price drops on an item in your watch-list.
- If you want, you can set a 'threshold price'. In that case, you won't be alerted unless the price drops below your threshold price.
- You can add or remove items from your watch list at any time.
- All of the above will work for *any* Amazon item, not just Kindle books.

Caveat: as we have seen with Link Maker, some items are not found by the search query, even though they are available in a search on Amazon.com. I don't know why this is, but it is a known problem and it seems that Amazon does not make its full catalog available for searches by independent websites like ours. So, there may be times when a desired item is not available to add to your watch-list.

And, some ideas for later versions:
- You have the option of automatically adding any items on your Amazon wish list to the watch-list.
- Have an 'Author alert' that will alert you when a price drop occurs for *any* items from a given author.

I'm going to put a prototype together. (Will take a few days.) Then I'll ask for a few beta testers to try it out, and we can have another chat about it before finalizing the design.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Another suggestion for 2.0 is to be able to add future releases and be notified when they are available.  Right now all you can do is pre-buy them, but sometimes the price is list before release or you want to sample before you buy.

·
Premium Member
12,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
^ I think you will be able to have future releases, as long as they're listed with a price in the search results.

You reminded me, though, that another idea was to allow an alert to be set up for a price drop in *any* of a given author's books. That will probably be a version 2 feature to consider. (I'll add that to the post above.)

·
Registered
679 Posts
Wow - sounds great! Thanks fro trying to make things much easier on js Harvey!

Is there anyway to include something to let us know if a already published books gets into Kindle format?

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Harvey said:
^ I think you will be able to have future releases, as long as they're listed with a price in the search results.

You reminded me, though, that another idea was to allow an alert to be set up for a price drop in *any* of a given author's books. That will probably be a version 2 feature to consider. (I'll add that to the post above.)
Thanks Harvey.

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
Harvey said:

Thank you, Harvey. I was impressed by all of the ideas kicked around during the chat, and the friendliness of all the participants. I am very glad that I found this board to wile away the time waiting for my kindle

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Hey, Harvey, it sounds like it's going to be awesome!  Just to let you know, I'm a Java developer, and I've done a bit of web work.  I don't have a whole lot of free time, but I'd love to see how you're doing this technically and help a bit if I could.

·
Premium Member
12,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
^ Thanks, marianner - that's good to know. I'm going to develop this one in PHP, but I intend to use Java for a future, larger project. I will probably need all the help I can get on that one. :)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts