Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With one exception - Hearing Aid by David Langford (which was admittedly excellent) - if a Kindle book listing does not feature a cover image, I just ignore it.

On the surface, that may seem silly - or worse, snobby. But the way I see it: If an author/publisher/etc. cannot even be bothered to create a decent cover image to represent his/her work, it deserves to be ignored. After all, if they don't care, why should I?

Obviously, classic listings by long-deceased authors don't count and aren't what I'm referring to (and those can be found for free elsewhere anyway).

Your thoughts?

·
Registered
366 Posts
Not that worried about a cover image.  I prefer to read the inside of the cover and get a feel for what the book is about instead.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I have to admit that I don't TRUST books with no cover showing, I'm always afraid that they're not legal or something.  Something along the lines of books with multiple versions - I'm not buying any of those, most of them seem to be people selling something that doesn't belong to them.  I've gotten very picky about these things, even emailed a publisher asking about a book that had 2 editions (and prices) showing.  I've gotten very suspicious in my middle age!

Katiekat

·
Super Moderator
67,253 Posts
I admit to liking to look at a cover too. . .but I don't think you have to worry about whether it's legal.  If it's at Amazon I'm sure it is. . . .Now if there's no cover and also not much of a write up, I ain't even sampling it. . . .

Ann

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
I've noticed that some of the books without covers are older books. I was looking for a book that I read many years ago and found it listed. It didn't have the cover of the book showing, but was the correct book. I think that some of the books without covers may have been requests from customers when you click on the I would like this book on Kindle.

Happy Holidays to everyone!

·
Registered
3,748 Posts
Unfortunately - looking at it from the author perspective - the cover is a *critical* part of the book. If there's no image at all, the first thing that tells you (even if you may not realize it) is that the author didn't care enough to bother having one made, and there's no visual appeal. The cover is the first impression you have of a book, either on-line or in the store. If it doesn't "say" anything that appeals to you, the chances of you checking it out further (reading the inside cover, as it were, or checking out the blurb on Amazon) plunge like a rock.

The cover is the "bait" and the blurb (and reviews) are the "hook"...  ;D

I

·
0 Posts
I guess you can't judge a Kindle book by the lack of it's cover..  :)

I

·
0 Posts
I didn't really do much for Christmas this year.  Money is tight and all of my sibs have their own families to buy for.  I do get a couple of good meals out of it though.

I wont get off work for 5 more hours.  Then I go to my brother's for one of those meals.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
No cover, no problem. Cover images are someone else's idea of what visually represents the book. My visual tastes aren't going to match everyone elses so a cover may or may not do anything for me. A good cover image can get me to look at a book I might otherwise pass over by reading the title alone. A cover image might also cause me to skip a book I might otherwise check out by reading the title alone. The title can work the same way. The writeup on the back cover or inside flaps will have more effect on my decision than titles or cover art.

·
Registered
731 Posts
I generally won't look at the ones without a cover. I really don't look at many that are only Kindle editions. No offense to "our" authors but, there's a lot of unedited dreck out there someone wants to charge me 3$ for.

·
Registered
795 Posts
LDB said:
No cover, no problem. Cover images are someone else's idea of what visually represents the book. My visual tastes aren't going to match everyone elses so a cover may or may not do anything for me. A good cover image can get me to look at a book I might otherwise pass over by reading the title alone. A cover image can also cause me to skip a book I might otherwise check out by reading the title alone. The title can work the same way. The writeup on the back cover or inside flaps will have more effect on my decision than titles or cover art.
I agree with LDB. Sometimes a cover image snags my attention when otherwise I might not have been interested at all, but there have also been times when a really ugly cover (or one that is unnecessarily provocative) has actually changed my mind about checking out the book. But either way it is not usually the deciding factor.

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
A cover is nice, but since the Kindle book opens to the beginning and not the cover, it's not really necessary.  Covers seem to be somewhat generic lately, and don't really tell you much about the book.  I'll read the blurb.  That's more important to me.  If a book doesn't have some kind of blurb, I don't want to read it. 

·
Registered
463 Posts
In paper editions, the cover often reflects the publisher's opinion of the book - better covers/better artists are not "wasted" on the books that they don't think will sell well; they are reserved for the best-selling authors or the books where they invested a lot of editor's time. Of course, if publishers were perfect, they wouldn't even bother with the unedited dreck they seem to push to fill shelves and would only create best-sellers. Of course, some publishers specialize in formula writers, high volume (and cheap, repetitive covers), knowing that their subscription members don't care about them.

In the Kindle editions, though, the lack of a cover often signals one of two additional classes of books: reformatted (or not) public domain books (that are available free elsewhere and often as well or better formatted) and self-published short stories (which almost never have covers) and books (usually by authors who have either no interest in that part of publishing a book, who are not artistic and can't/don't want to design a cover, or feel the words are the most important). A few, of course, are books where the cover image simply disappeared from Amazon. Of course, in that category of self-published books, there is total garbage (even edited total garbage exists, of course, as most know who've read thru the local bookstore's shelves), racist/political/religious rants (distinguished both by lack of editing and lack of facts, for the most part), run of the mill efforts that some will like, but were rejected by publishers due to lack of marketability and a few gems (just as with music, a gifted writer doesn't HAVE to have a publisher, it just usually increases sales ... just no necessarily profit/income to the writer). Unfortunately, to find these gems in the Amazon sea can be nearly impossible - with no advanced search, you can't exclude the short stories, the public domain reprints, the books with only one review (always a 4 or 5 star review, but also always by the author/publisher), look for a specific price range or length of book.  

So, most of us probably do the same thing as at a bookstore - hunt for familiar authors, mock the bestseller list (and especially the illiterate authors that Oprah picks), then browse the shelves by glancing at covers and only reading the fly leaf (summary) of the ones with an interesting cover, then check out a sample chapter of those that sound "interesting" and have a few good reviews. Just that at Amazon, they are reader reviews rather than professional reviews (not necessarily impartial reviews and sometimes even paid for reviews or bad edits of a negative review that make it look favorable).  The books with no cover or bland ones get ignored (unless mentioned on social sites like this one).

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
If you look for The Amazon Kindle FAQ (my book) at Amazon you'll see two versions: one with a cover and one without. The one without the cover, which also lists my son as the author, is the one that was "imported" from Mobipocket. I've written Amazon and asked them to take it down. No luck so far on that one. At Mobipocket it does have a cover, so I have no idea why that didn't come across and why they are listing the wrong author.

Oh well.

L

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I'm a visual person so I like to see a cover. If the cover doesn't thrill me but the title is interesting or different, then I'll go on to read the blurb.

I once went through a stage when I was a teen where I read nothing but books with a castle on the cover!  ;)

1 - 20 of 47 Posts