Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a search on calendar so if this as been discussed in the past please forgive me.  Has any one purchased any of the Kindle Calendars that are available on Amazon?  Any recommendations?

·
Premium Member
63,460 Posts
There are Kindle Calendars on Amazon?  What do they do?  Can you post a link?

Now I'm going to have to go browsing....

Betsy

·
Premium Member
63,460 Posts
I'm checking on them...will write a review shortly unless someone else already knows more, which wouldn't be hard...

Betsy

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
I think they're basically a list of dates.  You add notes to indicate your appointments or whatever.  If I needed this functionality, it seems like it would be pretty easy to make a list of dates in Word or something and email it to my Kindle.  I think it's telling that the only reviews are from the respective authors.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
marianner said:
I think they're basically a list of dates. You add notes to indicate your appointments or whatever. If I needed this functionality, it seems like it would be pretty easy to make a list of dates in Word or something and email it to my Kindle. I think it's telling that the only reviews are from the respective authors.
Don Ursem offered a book that had Kindle tips and tricks, plus calendars, for 96 cents. I bought it and it is the only Kindle book I have returned. I realize the amount was pretty miniscule but the book was an unorganized mess and the calendars were worthless. I am not trying to disparage a fellow author, especially one of a "how to" book, but given what I saw in the book I bought and returned (and I notice he has now priced it at $9.99) I would suggest steering clear of his titles.

My 2 cents, YMMV.

L

·
Premium Member
63,460 Posts
I checked out several of these calendars. Most of them are cheap enough, that for the sake of Kindleboards, I bought them. So I spent $5. You can check out the samples, too, that might tell you enough.

They are mostly a Kindle version of a wall calendar, not a PDA kind of wall calendar. Some are better done than others. There is also the intriguingly named Best 2008-2009 Kindle Calendar and Daily Journal Best 2008-2009 Kindle Calendar and Daily Journal with E-MAIL, Online Calendars and SMS. I'll do more about that in a bit. Any notation abilities is due to the Kindle's built in annotation feature, which we all know isn't all THAT convenient. There's no PDA type ability, just in case you were hoping there was.

The "Wall Calendar" type either have a picture or PDF type image of a calendar page or a text version with the numbers carefully spaced and arranged to simulate a wall calendar view.

In the order I looked at them:
2009 Bulldogs $1.59

Awww, isn't he cute? This is a collection of wallpaper style calendars of, apparently, the growth from pup to adult of one couple's bulldog. Originally I thought this would appeal to only dog lovers or bulldog lovers. After looking at it, I don't think it would appeal to either, pictures and calendar are both too small to want to look at.

Best 2008-2009 Kindle Calendar and Daily Journal (100308 updated) .. with E-MAIL, Online Calendars and SMS Too (Kindle Edition), $4,
sounds intriguing, but it's kinda lame (see Leslie's earlier post).

It starts out with a sort of ugly four days at a glance.

the idea is that you can use the Kindle's annotate feature to write a note for a particular day. You can also jump to monthly, to email, to holidays. The "monthly" takes you to a tiny little six month at a time view, I supposed you can then go to a particular month, but I lost interest. The "email" option takes you online with a series of links to popular online email packages like Gmail or Yahoo. I didn't look at the SMS. The holidays take you to a page to choose Federal holidays and, oh nevermind. The Federal Holidays link takes you to the OPM website for the official list of the Federal holidays. Pretty awkward and lame. I'm asking for my money back.

My favorite was, appropriately enough, the Book Lovers Calendar for $1.19

I might actually keep this one. If all you want is to occasionally be able to see what day of the week the 20th of next month is, or other wall calendar kind of stuff, this is a nice one to have. It doesn't try to be more than that. The pages are readable, have both the current and next month on, and a little woodcut kind of graphic related to a book in someway, reminiscent of the original Kindle screensavers.

You might be tempted by the Kindle Calendar for 2009 with free lifetime updates.

It's very basic, very plain month view, but very complete holiday list.

Finally, I looked at the 2009 Monthly Calendar for Amazon Kindle

Don't bother. The picture above is the only image in the whole thing, including the 2005 calendar page. The rest are butt-ugly month views.

So, if you like to keep a little calendar card in your wallet so you can check dates in the future, one of these might work for you. If you're looking for a functional calendar to write in and keep appoints, get a PDA or a little paper one.

If you think you might like one, download the sample to see what it looks like first.

Hope this helps.

Betsy

·
Registered
147 Posts
I bought the 2009 Monthly Calendar for .99.  It does the job of just having dates to look at.  Nothing spectacular, but a good reference if you have nothing else to look at.

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
A calendar feature might be useful, but I do have my phone/pda and my outlook so I guess one more might be overkill.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
First I got samples of all the calendars so I could see which best suited my needs. I finally bought the Book Lovers calendar.

Steve

·
Premium Member
63,460 Posts
stevene9 said:
First I got samples of all the calendars so I could see which best suited my needs. I finally bought the Book Lovers calendar.

Steve
That was the one I liked best--simple, to the point, in style matching the Kindle. I'll keep it just to look up dates...

Betsy

·
Registered
273 Posts
My cell phone has a calendar in it so I am never with one.  I plan to go to a Blackberry when this one wears out.

·
Premium Member
63,460 Posts
Yes, it was, wasn't it?

;D

No, I was just so curious as to what they were, as I know the limitations of the Kindle.

This is my 900th post, woohoo!

Betsy

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Great job Betsy; kudos to you.  So nice of you to be our investigative reporter on the job.  Much appreciated.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts