Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
12,456 Posts
Clippings are DRM-free pieces of text, so Amazon has the limit in place to avoid the prospect of people clipping an entire book in order to circumvent copy protections.

I had heard about a clipping limit somewhere, although this is interesting to see the effects of bumping into that limit. It is also awkward that the limit seems to be different for different books.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Thanks for the heads up. I understand why a publisher may want to set a limit on the number of clippings that can be done - too many people with too much time on there hands would indeed copy a whole book using clippings - but I think the number of clips allowed per book should be set to a relatively large value. The 40 mentioned in the article is WAY too few!

Since the DX is targeted towards college it seems to me that they MUST address this issue. I clipped and highlighted my way through high school and college!

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
At first I thought highlighting and clipping were seperate, but apparently just highlighting also copies the text into your clippings text file.  At the -very- least they need to change this practice and allow us to highlight the entire book if we want.  It's kind of fun to go through and see all the quotes I've highlighted, but putting a limit on it for the sake of that is detrimental in the extreme.  I guess I've been lucky in that I only had to read specific chapters in Kindle books for classes that required heavy highlighting.

·
Registered
460 Posts
This is an issue that I really hadn't even considered, and I'll be interested to see how they deal with it. I can see this being a major issue for college and university students, at the very least.

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
Scheherazade said:
At first I thought highlighting and clipping were seperate, but apparently just highlighting also copies the text into your clippings text file. At the -very- least they need to change this practice and allow us to highlight the entire book if we want. It's kind of fun to go through and see all the quotes I've highlighted, but putting a limit on it for the sake of that is detrimental in the extreme. I guess I've been lucky in that I only had to read specific chapters in Kindle books for classes that required heavy highlighting.
I was a college student once, really, I was. Actually for many years, but that's another story. ::)

Isn't highlighting the entire book kinda like not highlighting anything?

;D

Betsy

·
Registered
761 Posts
Wow, very interesting. Something I hadn't considered. Thanks for sharing with the rest of the class.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Scheherazade said:
At first I thought highlighting and clipping were seperate, but apparently just highlighting also copies the text into your clippings text file. At the -very- least they need to change this practice and allow us to highlight the entire book if we want. It's kind of fun to go through and see all the quotes I've highlighted, but putting a limit on it for the sake of that is detrimental in the extreme. I guess I've been lucky in that I only had to read specific chapters in Kindle books for classes that required heavy highlighting.
I think you can still highlight, it just won't copy the text into the clippings file. I've heard of people not knowing things weren't copied until they looked there and there was some kind of message instead of the highlighted passage. This was on the K1, though, so I don't know if it's changed for the K2.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
If this is the case and students find they can't clip as much as they need to I see it being a big issue. Especially with those colleges that purchased the DX for the students. They aren't going to like the fact that they purchased so many K-DX's and the students can't get the full use from them.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Highlighting copies the highlighted text into the "My Clippings" file, as well as keeping track of it in the .mbp file for that book.  Limiting the amount has to do with "fair use" of the copyrighted material, I believe.

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
Hopefully marianner is right cuz otherwise it's kind of a ridiculous limit to put on simply making book highlights.

·
Registered
615 Posts
koolmnbv said:
If this is the case and students find they can't clip as much as they need to I see it being a big issue. Especially with those colleges that purchased the DX for the students. They aren't going to like the fact that they purchased so many K-DX's and the students can't get the full use from them.
I wouldn't be surprised if they modified the limits for the DX.

The associated file that holds highlighted text (and notes) for any book is the mbp file and the highlighted text is also copied to the My Clippings file. In this case, the mbp file continues to accumulate the highlighting done, but the MyClipping has the limits.

So, I asked Shelley to try this
http://www.angelfire.com/ego2/idleloop/mbp_reader.html

This extracts the text portions from the mbp file.

But she wasn't interested in trying it. I asked twice, since I was interested if it did work for what she wanted that was not in her clipping file.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
When you are talking about text books- highlighting 40 items is nothing at all. I probably highlighted 40 items in one chapter! Especially in the medical classes!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts