Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Story from AP:

Verizon Wireless sees Kindle-type e-readers coming

LAS VEGAS - Amazon's Kindle might soon be getting new competitors in the market for electronic-book devices.

Tony Lewis, who heads an initiative within Verizon Wireless to provide access to non-phone devices, said Wednesday that five companies have approached Verizon about wireless connections for e-readers.

"You're going to see a lot of e-readers out there," Lewis said. "The interest level is tremendous."

Lewis wouldn't say which manufacturers Verizon has been talking to. But he hinted that they are looking at entering parts of the e-book market that the Kindle doesn't focus on, like college textbooks.

Amazon.com Inc. launched the second version of the Kindle a month ago. It uses Sprint Nextel Corp.'s wireless network to provide near-instant access to a store with 100,000 books.

So far, the Kindle's main competitor has been Sony Corp.'s Reader. It has the same type of screen, meant to imitate the look of paper, but lacks wireless access. Instead, books are loaded by connecting the device to a computer.

"We'd love to have Sony on there," Lewis said, refusing to confirm if the company had been in touch. He spoke at a cell phone trade show that started Wednesday in Las Vegas.

AT&T Inc., the second largest wireless carrier after Verizon Wireless, has also been talking to e-reader manufacturers, said Ralph de la Vega, the company's head of consumer services. Since AT&T's network is more similar to ones used overseas, it could support international e-book readers, he noted. The Kindle can download books only in the U.S.

Just like Verizon Wireless, AT&T is looking for ways to expand the uses of its wireless network beyond cell phones to generate additional revenue.

Verizon Wireless is a joint venture between Verizon Communications Inc. of New York and Vodafone Group PLC of Britain.

·
Registered
460 Posts
That's an interesting article, and yeah, I have a feeling we're going to see a lot of competition in the coming months/years. Dedicated ebook readers are just so much better than back-lit devices.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
It be cool if At&t would be able to connect ereaders on the international level. I may be more motivated to practice my langauge skilz. lol ;D

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
holmfritz said:
Amazon.com Inc. launched the second version of the Kindle a month ago. It uses Sprint Nextel Corp.'s wireless network to provide near-instant access to a store with 100,000 books.
I see they didn't really do their research... Since the number of books is twice that.

·
Registered
126 Posts
holmfritz said:
Story from AP:
Lewis wouldn't say which manufacturers Verizon has been talking to. But he hinted that they are looking at entering parts of the e-book market that the Kindle doesn't focus on, like college textbooks.
This is very interesting to note and this is really a big market to tap. Being in the academe, I would love to see some reference books in my eReader.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I've been in Kindle lust for several months now, but it is news like this that is keeping me from dropping $359 for a device that has the potential to be technology-wise out of date very soon. If the Kindle was $200, I wouldn't hesitate because, at that price point, I wouldn't care.

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
An e-reader without the content available through Amazonwould not be much of a bargain, even at 200 dollars

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
But what if the device is de-coupled from the service? Look at the cell phone market in most of the world (but definitely not the US) where you can put just about any phone on any cell carrier. Look at the mp3 music business. Amazon sells DRM-free mp3's that can be used on any device - laptop, phone, IPod, etc. I can see the eReader market head in this direction. My question is it sooner or later?

·
Registered
5,981 Posts
holmfritz said:
I've been in Kindle lust for several months now, but it is news like this that is keeping me from dropping $359 for a device that has the potential to be technology-wise out of date very soon. If the Kindle was $200, I wouldn't hesitate because, at that price point, I wouldn't care.
You can buy a gently used K1 for $250 right now.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I can usually guarantee that the next release of whatever hardware or software I purchase will arrive on the heels of that purchase.  It's just the nature of the technological beast.  Accepting that, the question becomes, 'Can I enjoy THIS release enough to justify shelling out the cash?'  K2 was a big affirmative, so the GeekBook™ arrived in my life.

I was miffed that the Kindle for iPhone was released so soon after my purchase, but have rationalized that disappointment by remembering how tiny that screen is.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Zeronewbury said:
I was miffed that the Kindle for iPhone was released so soon after my purchase, but have rationalized that disappointment by remembering how tiny that screen is.
..and how you can only read books purchased from Amazon on the iPhone app. I have a lot of books I loaded on to the Kindle myself.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I think competition is good.  If the market can drive to a common format, so much the better.

I'm hoping Amazon will license Kindle technology to other manufacturers.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Welcome to the board and thanks for the article.  :)

·
Registered
501 Posts
akjak said:
..and how you can only read books purchased from Amazon on the iPhone app. I have a lot of books I loaded on to the Kindle myself.
I believe that you can also read other ebooks on the iPhone (but not using the Kindle app).

·
Registered
501 Posts
ProfCrash said:
You can buy a gently used K1 for $250 right now.
Watching eBay, you can still buy a "New In Box" Kindle 1 (UNused) for prices varying between $260-300, including shipping.

After Mrs. r0b0d0c and I got our KKs in late February, we've been looking for these for other family members - one of the kids, and a sister have now gotten theirs!

·
Registered
106 Posts
looks like the price for future kindles will drop alot with all this new competition. I think sub$200 is realistic

1 - 20 of 22 Posts