1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
63,461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Personally it looks more like a business function reader to me.  Besides it does not appear to have the personalities of the kindles.  ;D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Would you really want to tell you're friends you're playing with your new "Plastic Logic reader"? Makes me think it was made by Fisher-Price. Kindle is definitely a much cooler name.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
okay the link isn't working for me, but I think I know what you are talking about. The ereader that is the same size as a standard 8x11 piece of paper with touch capability. heard about a couple of months ago. Looks sleek and all, but is it user-friendly like the kindle. (user friendly- easy to use and maintain)

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
Tarma said:
Lousy name, but I think this could be the answer to the textbook issue. Kindle for fun, Logic for learning.
I agree; looks like Plastic Logic is targeting the business/educational market. If amazon also comes out with a student Kindle soon, it'll be interesting to see how they compare.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
I hate when people review things they have never used.  But here I go...

Yea, I don't think the name was the best marketing move.

It's not going to be the fit in my purse and take everywhere kind of device.  I don't think I would be taking it everywhere.  I do like the different formats that it can use.  That's what I use my laptop for.  It does seem like kind of a cool hybrid between a laptop and a Kindle.  I could see the size being more user friendly as a textbook replacement.  It will be interesting.

One thing I think is really funny:  "gesture-based user interface"  I envision me giving it the finger  ;D

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
I would hate to travel with something that size. Reading it on the plane wouldn't be very comfortable. I'll keep my Kindle.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Look at the front page of that site, it looks like its got some kind of e ink paper that ya can actually bend.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
sylvia said:
It looks good for newspaper, work, and student. I read books. I prefer the kindle
Sylvia
Yup, Kindle for home, Plastic Logic for work. :)

They actually have a demo where they show the Plastic Logic getting hit by a shoe.

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
Never. Waaaaaaay too large.  Kindle-fan through and through.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Interesting....thanks for posting, Betsy. This is too large to travel with or read in bed with, but looks like it would be great for an office or school. Maybe this is what all computers will wind up being like eventually?

G

·
Well the key thing is e-ink.  It looks like it is a technology that is here to stay.  I think if I was into stocks, that would be a good place to invest.

I'm going to have to look into that.  :)

I like the idea of the Amazon Kindle having competitors.  In the end we all win as good ideas are 'borrowed' and bad ones tossed out.  It should also help keep prices down some and maybe open up a wider selection of e-books.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts