Kindle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't think any ebook reader can really challenge the Kindle unless it has wireless downloading (easily doable), and a very large selection of books (not so easily doable). Thus I see only two realistic possibilities, either a partnership with a large force in books (like a Barnes and Noble, or maybe a consortium of publishers), or make an ereader that can read azw files so you can use the Amazon ebooks. This brings up another question. Would it be patent infringement if a company made an ereader that could read many book formats, including azw books? My guess is that somehow this is probably illegal, or else other readers would have done it, but I don't really know.

Steve

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Well, I don't think the utilities to convert books TO Kindle format are illegal, why would it be to convert FROM Kindle format?

·
Registered
364 Posts
Steve

I would think that amazon has a patent for azw and azw1 format, and I would also think that that sony would have a patent for their format as well, but like you I don't known for sure.

·
Registered
58 Posts
It seems like only a matter of time before a DRM code is cracked, but I'm not a techie at all and have no idea how that works. Seems we'll know a lot more about how the competition will fare by the end of 2010, but the Kindle has such a positive head start and great infrastructure that it's hard to envision anybody giving them a run for their $9.99 any time soon IMHO.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.