Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I have a big problem :-[ I am so unlucky...
After 5 months of full usage without any problems, I sat on my kindle and the screen cracked.

Today I have received the free replacement, and in order to avoid any problem I put it in a "safe" place when it was charging. Unlucky a little speaker has fallen down on it (from about 10 inches) and a little point was created on the screen.

What is your advice? do you believe that I can ask for another free replacement? do you think that the point could worse? telling the truth it's not so annoying, but... I am so unlucky and the kindle's screen is so fragile!

·
Registered
626 Posts
How about buying a cover for protection since you seem to have on going problem? The slight dent you illustrate does not seem to be so bad and if it does not penetrate I would just live with it.
Whatever you decide to do with Amazon, get a cover for your Kindle!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have forgotten to write that both the times I cracked the kindle, it was inside the cover!!!!

So what's your advice?

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Amazon will probably replace your Kindle.  But you need to rethink whether it is going to work for you.  Maybe it is just a series of bad luck, and maybe youre not cut out for a Kindle.  Who knows.

I was sitting at the Apple bar when a lady beside me brought her teenaged daughters laptop in for repairs.  I heard her run thru the story.  Her daughter had dumped liquid on the laptop 3 times within 2 months.  Her home owners policy was covering it.  Can you imagine?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
KindleChickie said:
Amazon will probably replace your Kindle. But you need to rethink whether it is going to work for you. Maybe it is just a series of bad luck, and maybe youre not cut out for a Kindle. Who knows.

I was sitting at the Apple bar when a lady beside me brought her teenaged daughters laptop in for repairs. I heard her run thru the story. Her daughter had dumped liquid on the laptop 3 times within 2 months. Her home owners policy was covering it. Can you imagine?
I used kindle everyday in nyc without any problems! I used for everything... manga, comics, ebooks...

·
Registered
122 Posts
I'm confused....how could that "ding" happen if you had the cover on?  Was it a hard cover, soft cover....?

I truly believe there are people that have trouble like you....but don't give up.....you will just have to try really, really hard!  Or put up with the ding...I probably couldn't though.....

Best of luck...let us know what you decide to do.

·
Premium Member
63,460 Posts
Jan Strnad said:
No offense, my friend, but sitting on your Kindle isn't really a matter of "luck." :)
It could be if someone else placed it somewhere it shouldn't be and it was covered with something else...I have got the grandkids pretty well trained not to leave the iPad on a chair or the floor, but...

Keep us posted, M!

Betsy

·
Registered
8,822 Posts
I treat my Kindle like my eyeglasses......when not in use, it has a safe spot to be "parked".

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok they are going to send me a replacement but this time they want back their kindle.
I am in Italy, do you know if the shipping costs are paid by amazon or me?

And do you know if they are going to send me a new kindle or a refurbished one? because in the email I received, I read that they are not going to send me cables or adaptor like in the original box.

·
Registered
924 Posts
You are very fortunate; I don't think I've ever heard of anyone receiving two free replacement Kindles for issues that were not Amazon's fault.  Good for you and cheers for Amazon CS again.

·
Registered
21,587 Posts
You are fortunate.....because even the Square Deal extended warranty will only replace a Kindle that is damaged once.  Not multiple times.  And the Amazon warranty says never....Customer Service is just real nice about such things.
But careless handling or "acts of the universe" are not really their problem...are they?

Just sayin.....

·
Registered
122 Posts
Wow, I'm impressed.  Wonder how long they will stay this good (customer service I mean).  I tend to be a pessimist about customer service in general.

Having said that, I would never have had the nerve to do it a second time....

Probably it's that they really aren't selling the device so much as they are the books....that's where the money is.....so I guess giving you a new one is really cheaper in the long run than if you stopped buying books?  Just a thought...

I do have to second the thoughts about being more careful in the future....  ;)

·
Super Moderator
67,458 Posts
magodiafano said:
Ok they are going to send me a replacement but this time they want back their kindle.
I am in Italy, do you know if the shipping costs are paid by amazon or me?

And do you know if they are going to send me a new kindle or a refurbished one? because in the email I received, I read that they are not going to send me cables or adaptor like in the original box.
I'm surprised they didn't want the first one back. . .but your being overseas is probably the reason.

The replacement is likely to be a refurbished unit. They don't promise a new replacement after the first 30 days.

If they are going to pay for the return shipping, they usually say to send the old one back in the box the new one arrives in -- within 30 days -- and tell you how to get a shipping label. If they've not done that, then they probably expect you to ship it back at your expense. Which is still less than you'd pay for a new Kindle. If you don't they'll charge your card full the full new price.

Even if they do provide a shipping label it might be for their convenience and they still might charge the shipping cost to you.

·
Registered
626 Posts
magodiafano said:
I have forgotten to write that both the times I cracked the kindle, it was inside the cover!!!!

So what's your advice?
With all due respect, keep the cover closed when you are not reading. I assume your Kindle lives in its cover..............

1 - 20 of 21 Posts