Kindle Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a new book by Stephen Peters. It is a neat read about everything Kindle. There are sections about Harvey and kboards.com, along with tidbits about some of our posters.

It is written by the guy who has the kindleculture blog.

I enjoyed it.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Yes I am a member! Sorry to be late to my own party. We have had an oddly difficult week since I got the book up on Amazon, culminating with the loss of a dear old cat, so I'm behind on a lot of the things I've been meaning to do, one of which was mention the book here when I got it out!

Michelle, thank you for the review on Amazon and for rounding up your 3.5. I did not know any of the people in the book before I started it, so there were no "friends to be mentioned" as you said; I started with the idea based on three or four stories I came across and went from there.

However, I CAN'T BELIEVE I spelled Joss Whedon's name wrong! You think YOU hurt? :) We own all of the "Buffys," most of "Angel," "Serenity" and "Firefly," and I have a HUGE pet peeve with name typos. ARRGGH! (In my wife's defense, that was one of the last lines I added to the book and she did not proofread it. It is important for you to know that she would NEVER have missed this egregious error. Ever.) I will definitely correct that. I also found another misspelling in the back. You mentioned errors plural; if you or anyone else who happens to read the book see any others, please let me know.

The Dr. Seuss comment was especially funny to me, since when I joined the board I had a goal that I would reach "Lewis Carroll" status by the time the book came out and I think I fell just short. Originally I wanted the cover to be a photo of two Kindles in front of towel swans on a hotel bed that I'd seen on the Amazon boards, but since they were both Kindle 1s I worried it might look dated. Using the "Kindle Garden" drawing was a late decision.

Gertie Kindle, you were not mentioned, but I have enjoyed your posts! There's a lot from Harvey in the chapter about boards and blogs and the chapter about the future; the story of Borsa Bella and Octochick in the chapter on homegrown commerce; and an eloquent quote from thomashton about the concept of a "Kindle culture" and being a part of it.

I am looking forward to hearing any more feedback or criticism anyone might have!

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
My condolences on your cat. That would have made it tough for me to maintain a schedule, too.

It was my pleasure to round up. :) I enjoyed it enough that I would consider another selection from you in the future -- at the very least, you'll need an updated edition as Kindle evolves, and as the community evolves along with it.

The friends remark was based on the benevolence of your comments -- most I'd agree with, but there was one reference that made me kinda roll my eyes. I don't want to say more, because it might lead to hard feelings to single out one person. You just seem like a nice guy who was focused on the positives, and that's what I meant -- that as a member of the Kindle community that you were looking to bolster Kindle and The People Who Love It.

I was surprised that you didn't do something with the Oberon people, other than a passing reference. Enjoyed the part about Borsa Bella and Strange Dog was a FIND! But Oberon is, for me, the coolest vendor with the most awesome product.

I had a friend over last night, and I mentioned your book -- mostly in the context of Josh Whedon. She felt it was an easy mistake to make, and I told her that Kindle is a Geek Thing and that Whedon is arguably the Geek King, and so you could technically be charged with Geek Treason. :D (Maybe I've been reading too many books on the British monarchy.

Here's wishing you much success.

·
Registered
4,791 Posts
speters said:
Yes I am a member! Sorry to be late to my own party. We have had an oddly difficult week since I got the book up on Amazon, culminating with the loss of a dear old cat,
I'm sorry to hear about your kitty. :(

·
Registered
58 Posts
Thank you, Michelle and Stephe H about the cat. He was a 17-year-old tabby named Henry, the last of three pets (two cats and a dog) that I had that lived to be 18, 17 and 15. Our next pet will probably be soonish, as our two-year-old is sure to be asking for one.

Thanks also for the various book comments. I think this process was harder for me than other things I've worked on because I had limited resources/time etc. and it was hard to make it everything exactly the  way I wanted it to be. I would have liked to have been more exhaustive, and as I dug deeper and learned about more people and more places, I realized there plenty more to tell. If I did a revision it would definitely start with a fuller and better-balanced library/education chapter. I also ended up leaving out Oberon and Decal Girl and focused on the smaller indie places that primarily did Kindle stuff. 

1 - 13 of 13 Posts