Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi again all! Been awhile since I posted..sorry :(

Anyway, I've been tryin to play catch up and just had a question for you all, if that's ok?

I have a K2 and have had it for over a year, but now I'm seeing the K3 with 3G + WiFi and wondering if I should upgrade? Or possibly wait & see if anything new & improved comes out? My biggest thing is I did the whole hack thing on my K2 so I can have my own pics as screensavers & now I can't update it :( So I'm thinkin I need to upgrade at some point? Any thoughts or ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Heather

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm a newbie around here - I just got a 3G for Father's Day and am loving it.  The one thing I found that might be a problem for you is that I don't think you can hack into the latest version of the Kindle software (Ver 3.21) 

·
Registered
524 Posts
I bought a KindleDX which just had 3G. I replaced it with a K3 with just WiFi. Normally, I download books at home with WiFi which is faster and more dependable, at least where I live, than 3G. If I'm traveling, the 200+ books already on my Kindle would last me for, oh, golly, weeks and weeks but if I really want to download a book every hotel and coffee shop seems to have a WiFi hotspot as well as public plazas and parks. Of course, I'm usually traveling in Mexico.

I am enjoying my K3 immensely. If I were doing it now, I'd buy the $114 model--WiFi-only with ads--and spend the $75 saved on books. But, that's just me and my ex-wife will tell you I'm cheap.

·
5,931 Posts
Euroalien said:
I'm a newbie around here - I just got a 3G for Father's Day and am loving it. The one thing I found that might be a problem for you is that I don't think you can hack into the latest version of the Kindle software (Ver 3.21)
You can still hack the K3 to change your sleep pictures (screensavers) and fonts. For more information see our K3 FAQs here:

http://www.kboards.com/index.php/topic,73465.msg1181699.html#msg1181699

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
sunfiregirl said:

Anyway, I've been tryin to play catch up and just had a question for you all, if that's ok?

I have a K2 and have had it for over a year, but now I'm seeing the K3 with 3G + WiFi and wondering if I should upgrade? Or possibly wait & see if anything new & improved comes out? My biggest thing is I did the whole hack thing on my K2 so I can have my own pics as screensavers & now I can't update it :( So I'm thinkin I need to upgrade at some point? Any thoughts or ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Heather
There's isn't anything significantly different between the K2 and K3 that requires you to get a new Kindle. Yes, it's smaller, lighter and the font is nicer but otherwise, it's about the same. Saying that, I chose to upgrade to the Special Offer K3. I did it primarily for the offers but that was also just an excuse to get the newer K. ;)

The K3 has actually been out for awhile now. I don't expect there to be a new K released until after the first of the year sometime maybe even as late as next summer. There will probably be an Amazon tablet released before Christmas. That's all speculation on my part, no actual dates have been set or announcements made.

As for the hack of your K2. If you are worried about upgrades, there is a more recent version of your hack that allows for updates to go through with it installed. It will be in the Tips, Tricks and Troubleshooting section somewhere. If you wish, you could uninstall the hack you have, upgrade and then install the new hack. I believe you have to upgrade the hack if you upgrade the K2's software because the old hack broke with the last upgrade.

The only significant upgrade to the K2 that I remember was the addition of Categories. Do you have those? If not, it's worth the trouble to remove the hack and do the upgrade, otherwise, I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
You asked, "........Or possibly wait & see if anything new & improved comes out?"

Several sites have posted speculation of a 'next Amazon device', whether it be an updated Kindle or possibly more of a tablet.  If it were me and I could live with the current K2, I would seriously consider waiting until at least Christmas buying season, to see if anything develops.

·
Registered
129 Posts
If you're debt free then buy whatever you want. If not, keep the Kindle 2, pay off your debts and then upgrade. It's not really about the technology, it's about you.

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
sunfiregirl said:

Thanks in advance!

Heather
Well you could always remove the hacks to update, but I doubt there'll be any more updates unless some type of update is required for library lending when it becomes available. It doesn't sound like an update will be needed, but we don't know yet.

I was going to wait for the K4 to come out, which I expect by the end of the year at the latest. But I found a deal on a wifi K3 + lighted cover last weekend on craigslist that I couldn't pass up. Figured that meant the K4 would be announced any day, and in fact they've just announced a price cut on the 3G Kindle with special offers to $139. Another move towards depleting K3 inventory before announcing the K4? Maybe - but this is the model I'd buy now if I were buying a new K3 today. Just food for thought as you ponder.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Nebula7 said:
If you're debt free then buy whatever you want. If not, keep the Kindle 2, pay off your debts and then upgrade. It's not really about the technology, it's about you.
AWESOME. I totally agree here and appreciate the reminder (personally). Gotta be a gazelle here, myself.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I have a K2, and just bought my wife a K3 (3G and WI-FI).  Both are great, and not all that much different between the two except for size, IMHO.  I thought about getting myself a K3 as well, but decided not enough difference to make the change.  I'll wait until K4 before considering an upgrade.  My upgrade from K1 to K2 was significant.  I'm waiting for something similar before I upgrade again.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wow! Thanks for all your replies :) I guess I'll stick w/my K2 for now....I was more worried about the hack than anything when considering upgrading...as I don't know how to uninstall & reinstall the new hack so I can update, but if I really don't need the update, I don't see any reason to upgrade until a K4 or something comes along :)

I do have to limit myself..I have $165.00 in Kindle books on my Amazon wishlist now...and wish I could get them all Lol ;)

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
This is the same debate I've been having with myself since my husband got the K3. I've got kindle envy. I think I've convinced myself to hold out for the newest line (whenever that may be) or when one of the kids breaks it (which is very possible). Guess we're in the same boat. Let's hope they come out with something soon. :D

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I'd wait. Amazon's going to release a new version of the Kindle "before October", according to an article in today's Wall Street Journal.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702303406104576444213058153874.html#ixzz1S142EeLT

So even if you do want to upgrade your Kindle, you can get the very latest model if you're willing to wait just 10 weeks.

And even if you only want to upgrade to a Kindle 3 -- they'll probably be a lot cheaper once everyone else starts upgrading to a Kindle 4! :D

·
Registered
123 Posts
I think if you wait a couple months for the holiday season (actually, before the holiday season the hype for new gadgets starts) you can find out for sure what kinds of releases there will be.

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
I love my K3 with 3G.  I cannot imagine having anything else, really.  So, I highly recommend that.

·
Registered
110 Posts
  From my experience with Amazon they would frown on your hack. However once that Kindle finally quits they do have a upgrade program for Kindle owners.

IE: They would take your broken Kindle on trade for a new Kindle at a greatly reduced price.

So I would wait till it goes Kput and then call them and trade it in for a new version. Or at least that is the program I was offered when my 3 year old Kindle quit last month.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I can recommend the K3 3G as others have, but if I were you, I would wait to see what the new Kindles coming out in the Fall are like. There is talk of a tablet as well.

Helen

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have had my K2I for about a year and a half. I have no intentions of upgrading as I have had absolutely no problems with it. It serves its purpose to a "t" and I wouldn't think of upgrading. It has gone on three cruises and going on two more this year. I love it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts