Kindle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When Jeff Bezos announced the DX he announced that there would be opportunities to buy a DX at a reduced price if one bought a subscription to the New York Times, Washington Post, or Boston Globe. I have been looking for those offers and they have not materialized.

I called the NY Times today and asked them about the promotion. They said that they know about the promotion but that it was being run through Amazon and that we should talk with Amazon.

I called Amazon's Customer Support. The CS person had no clue what I was talking about. I said that I understood that he didn't have the info but I know that it has been announced and that the Times folks told me to call him so may I please speak to a Supervisor who might know more. He put me on hold and when he came back he said that I was right that the program had been discussed in the press but not offically announced.

I became confused at that point. How is it not official if Jeff Bezos announced it?

He said that it has been discussed but that it is not being marketed yet and that he did not know when it would be marketed. I said that I know other people are interested in this and that since Jeff Bezos announced it on the day the DX was announced one would think that it would be ready to roll. He said that it was in the Business Development folks hands, that the CS folks had no clue about it and that he couldn't give me a time line.

I would highly recommend anyone interested in the Promotion to call and talk to the CS folks. Maybe with enough calls someone will get off their butts and place the promotion on the website. Bezos announced the bloody thing when he announced the DX. The newspapers know of it and can do nothing about it. Pressure needs to be placed on Amazon to get the promotion out there.

I am thinking of holding off on buying the DX until the promotion is made public just because it is unfair that Bezos announced the promotion and now Amazon appears to be waiting until after the first adopters buy DX's to launch the promotion. I'll cancel my order on the 9th if the promotion isn't announced by then and make sure to tell them why.

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
;)I ordered a DX, then canceled it, on the cancel page it has a box that asks why, I wrote about this issue in that box.  And that is what I'll wait for, even if release day comes and goes without the deal, which is what I think will happen because I think they area wanting to get  the preorder 1st price group past the 30 day return before they announce the discount. I can wait

·
Registered
5,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Red said:
;)I ordered a DX, then canceled it, on the cancel page it has a box that asks why, I wrote about this issue in that box. And that is what I'll wait for, even if release day comes and goes without the deal, which is what I think will happen because I think they area wanting to get the preorder 1st price group past the 30 day return before they announce the discount. I can wait
That is what I am thinking as well. I'll talk to my Dad and see how he feels. I want Mom to have it as soon as possible but I am a bit miffed that they announced a promotion on the same day as the DX and are now saying that their CEO discussing a promotion is not the same thing as announcing a promotion.

·
Registered
5,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I canceled my order. I am going to buy the DX when the promotion comes available. I would have to cancel the pre-order to use the promotion any way. This way I can register my displeasure at their slow release earlier.

·
Registered
179 Posts
oh, if only they would have a promo for the LA Times my DH would pick it up in a flash, LOL!  He can't go anywhere without trying to find his newspaper and he hates to read anything else in the morning.  Of course now that I have my K2 I am going to get the newspaper for him but that means I will be fighting him for the rights to read at breakfast, LOL!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts