Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I loaded up my Kindle with about 6500 PDF's from my library, totaling 2.2GB or so. It starts indexing... no problems. I'm reading my PDF's, life is great. Then when it's processed roughly 4100 files, it crashes, reboots, and starts indexing all over again from 0:

http://qik.com/video/1897284

It does this over and over and over again. Thinking that one of the PDF's might be giving it problems, I removed the first 1000 that it processed, but it still crashes around 4100.

Obviously, I'll let Kindle Support know, but just a warning to those of you with lots of personal documents. I'd love to hear if anyone's DX can process 5000 or more without problems.

·
Super Moderator
67,325 Posts
The first thing that occurs to me is that the specs say it holds ~3500 books.  Of course, it also says it should have ~3.3 GB available for content.  So, Hmmm.

Second thing that occurs to me is, do you have it plugged in?  Because it may be running the battery down indexing and that's part of the problem.

Third thing that occurs to me is that Rasp may be right. . .to index I would think there would need to be a certain amount of free space available, like when you de-frag a drive on your computer. . .so even if you haven't filled up it's memory, there might not be enough leftover to index that much at one time.

Only thing I can suggest to try is to delete them all. . .fastest way is probably via USB. . .restart it, and then move your documents in smaller chunks.  

I would be interested to hear what Kindle CS says.  I'm sorry you're having problems.

·
Registered
710 Posts
I'd suggest loading them on there 1000 at a time. Wait until it completely indexes the first thousand, and proceed onto the next, etc. But like Ann said about the memory not having enough leftover to index so much at a time, I think that's pretty accurate. I don't have that many files, so I wouldn't be able to tell you. Let us know what Kindle Support says.

·
Registered
13,767 Posts
I had a similar overload problem and since I was going to do a book reading in Virginia, Amazon customer support tied me into a foty five minute conference call with a tech support person. It seems that when you download many books all at once (as many Kindle 1 & 2 owners might do), I put nearly 900 items on my Kindle DX in a short period of time, the indexing will tie up resources, so when you try to let's say run a page and it doesn;t respon, you press another key and it cancels indexing and on and on and on . . . until the DX freezes. It will reboot after four to five minutes authomatically and start rebuilding. They suggested that I leave my wireless on over night and the cable plugged in so the indexing can proceed while the Kindle is not in use. So far, that worked. I had one little flash during my boo reading, but I jumped into my impression of Barbra Streisand and when I got my page back, I just said: "Welcome back, gorgeous," got my aufhience laugh and continued.

Edward C. Patterson

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've been playing with it some more.... sometimes it starts indexing all over again (from 0) just because I turn it off, or because I switched from USB recharging to outlet recharging.

Is it supposed to rebuild the library this often?  I've never heard of this complaint, but then again, I imagine most people have 100 books / documents or less.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
I think it's starting over because it's not finishing the indexing, and the things you describe each cause the process to stop. I imagine that the Kindle doesn't have the ability to pick up indexing where it left off.

Even on a PC indexing 4100 documents would be a bit of work, and the Kindle processor isn't nearly that powerful or fast.

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
This has been a problem with other versions of the Kindle when it gets overloaded quickly. 
Hope you work it out.
deb

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I see... is there any way to know if it's done indexing (or how far along it is)?

Honestly, I don't even want it to index the contents of my documents.  I just want it to know the titles and authors, which it seems to know already.

·
Registered
13,767 Posts
Indexing evidently requires some contact with the mothership (the whispernet tuned on), to kep things in sync. It really doesn;t upset me, only when it happened the first time without explanation. Then, of course, I got a techie to explain the mechanism. Also, you can see the indexing when you plug into the USB in your compete files (all those extra files that you didn;t put there). I mean to plu in and check to see just how much is indexed. BTW, when I had the thing reboot and rebuild the list, this took a matter of two minutes. When my Kindle 1 with the 4000 items on it does this, it takes upward of ten minutes.

Ed Patterson

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
I forgot to add that the fact that you are indexing PDFs doesn't help. Each file is much, much larger than a typical Kindle book, and I imagine it takes proportionally more time for the Kindle to process each one. You're probably making the Kindle's brain work until steam is about to come out of its ears, er, speakers.

·
Registered
13,767 Posts
Good point Greg, because I added to the Kindle DX a 20 volume 1902-1905 issue of The China Quarterly, each file about 60 meg (there's 17 volumes available - the missing ones I have on paper. No Sinologist could live without these). So, as usual, I pesent my toys with unusual challenges, and the Kindle DX takes alickin' and keeps on tickin'.  ;D

Ed Pattersn

·
Registered
703 Posts
I must be old-fashion, but I see the KDX as a book reader NOT a book storer.  I cannot imagine even having 6500 pdfs or over 3500 books on any ONE device.  I think most people who are big time computer users would naturally backup all of those onto a HD device for further use.  Just read a book and put it on a "shelf" then read another.  I do not get the need to have everything you own on one device.  

I love the KDX.  I cannot get it away from my hubby.  Too bad I said it was his for Father's Day.  Now, you know I didn't mean it!!!  Only thing I noticed is that after transferring over native pdfs, you cannot increase the size of the font.  So, I have tried increasing the font before transferring and that seems to work, but you have to copy them into a .doc or .txt format.  You can then edit the native pdf.

Ordered M-Edge Platform cover and waiting for the M-Edge e-Luminator light to come out in July 2009.

·
Super Moderator
67,325 Posts
I had the impression the OP was loading business related documents. . .I can totally see needing to have a lot of them available at any time.  I intend to put a lot of tax publications on mine -- but based on mmoffitt's and Ed's experience you can be sure I'll do it a little at a time. :D  So thanks to you both -- I can learn from other people's experiences!

I probably have 200 books or so on my K1. . . I like having a whole library of "to be read" books handy when I finish one.  Yes, I could just download one from Amazon, but, as nice as the Kindle Store is on the device, it's not conducive to real browsing.  I like having the books there to decide between whenever I get the urge.

I will NOT be loading all my existing K1 books onto the DX, though I expect I'll load some now and then.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Yes, Ann, I see your point and OP's too.  But I like letting Amazon take care of the books as a backup, but I put my pending reading in the Save for Later area and find I can read all the reviews etc before downloading a sample or buying the book.  I will most likely put all of my read books on my laptop or a HD device.

·
Registered
13,767 Posts
Ann:

I only loaded Amazon books, my own files, .pdf's I had acquired and pure blooded .AZW files onto the Kindle DX. I left the rest of the 4,000 books on my Kindle 1 for when I'm in the coffin with the powerplant connection for eternity reading.  ;D I like the audio readback feature, which isn;t as bad as the old readback programs on the PC. The female voice does a better job than the male. I slow it down and have it read to me all day now, while I'm at work post cash to accounts, instead of listening to music. I'll probably increase my reading now by an exponential of three, from 3 books a week to perhaps 9. It's funny to hear the audio read my book (It doesn't do too badly with the Chinese, but the Cherokee words are fun to hear). Worse is Captain's Courageous with all the Gloucester fisherman dialog.

Many of my titles were free downloads of classics. I have replaced most of these with the Complete Works series from MobiReference. So although I only have 792 items on the DX, its more like 5,000 works. I always regarded the Kindle as a "Library" in ones mitts. When SD Cards were supported I stated that one could now keep the Library of congress in a shoebox under your bed.

Edward C. Patterson

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
mmoffitt said:
I've been playing with it some more.... sometimes it starts indexing all over again (from 0) just because I turn it off, or because I switched from USB recharging to outlet recharging.

Is it supposed to rebuild the library this often? I've never heard of this complaint, but then again, I imagine most people have 100 books / documents or less.
I would plug it in then turn it on and turn on whispernet and let it go until morning - without touching it at all - it could be that each time you do something on it it has to re-index because it isn't done yet - but once you get it all on there and it is indexed it will work great -- if it isn't working by morning I would call Kindle Customer Service - but I would give it all of that time the first time -- also it could be loading things slower because there are a bunch of new Kindle/Kindle DX owners out there loading things on all their units.

somehow that isn't coming out as clearly written down as it is in my mind hope it makes sense to you ..

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
legalbs2 said:
So, I have tried increasing the font before transferring and that seems to work, but you have to copy them into a .doc or .txt format. You can then edit the native pdf.
Makes sense, but technically, if you copy it o Word or txt first, it is no longer a native PDF file. You've converted it to something else, which is why you can then edit it.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts