Kindle Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to ask some people with older eyes. I have a 3 1/2 year old Kindle DX and thinking about upgrading to a Paperwhite for the better resolution. My DX has radio but I keep it turned off to get max battery life. I do read it all the time but I was thinkiing that with a better resolution it would be easier on my older eyes. Would go with a Wifi model as Wifi is everywhere here. What are your thoughts about this.

George

·
Registered
20,441 Posts
I use both the PW and the DX.  I find the smaller profile of the PW an advantage, as well as light.  And you can change the font (in most, but not all books).  Honestly, I haven't really noticed a difference in resolution between the two.

·
Super Moderator
67,559 Posts
Which DX do you have?  The 'original' in the white case, or one of the ones with the dark case.  The ones with the dark case, the DXG, is supposed to have a better screen.  

I have both a DXG and a PW.  In good light, there's no real difference in clarity for me.  Of course, on the DX there are no font choices, but if I set the PW to the same font as the DX uses natively, it's about the same with the PW light all the way down.

Now, in less than good light, you can, of course, turn up the brightness on the PW which gives it the edge.

OTOH, the DX has a much larger screen so if you need a larger print size, you get way more words on the page with the DX.  And, arguably, the largest size on the PW isn't quite as large as the largest on the DX of the different pixel density.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's the original with the white case and the screen to me seems like it's a gray not white. I read in the smallest font size as I like to get the most print on the screen at one time. I am thinking that would be a negative for me with the PW. I know my DX is getting old and concern about battery life is also on my mind.

George

·
Super Moderator
67,559 Posts
gzigoris said:
It's the original with the white case and the screen to me seems like it's a gray not white. I read in the smallest font size as I like to get the most print on the screen at one time. I am thinking that would be a negative for me with the PW. I know my DX is getting old and concern about battery life is also on my mind.

George
Well, at the smallest size, you'd still have plenty of words per page. You can also adjust the line spacing to be narrower, which will put a line or two more on the screen, and the margins to be narrower which will make the lines longer. And there are font choices that have the letters slightly more condensed.

You know, there's nothing wrong with having a back up Kindle, so if the PW looks intriguing, give it a try. Remember, you have a 30 day return period. Might be you'll decide you like it and take it when you go out and about, as it's smaller, and keep the DX for when you're home.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I read in the smallest font size as I like to get the most print on the screen at one time.
Er, well that's one area where the Kindle DX really has an advantage. It's the biggest screen of all. (For that reason, I really love my Kindle DX...) :) But it sounds like you're curious about the Kindle Paperwhite, so it doesn't hurt to investigate your options.

It's definitely lighter than a Kindle DX, and if you do buy a Paperwhite, remember that you can adjust the brightness. Most people love the extra resolution that they get from the black letters on the glowing screen, but I'm part of the smaller group that doesn't really like the "unnatural" light shining back up at me. I felt better about the Paperwhite once I lowered the brightness settings. But maybe I'm just trying to make it go back to just using the natural light that's in the room, like I did with my Kindle DX! :)

·
Registered
20,441 Posts
i actually had my PW and my DX next to each other last night.  (trying to read the same book on both).  after reading on the PW for a few minutes, switching back to the DX was annoying, the greyscale which i was used to before seemed too dull and I couldn't seem to focus.

lesson learned-  do not switch kindles in the middle of reading.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts