Kindle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My DX is my 1st & only Kindle. I love it and hate to think I'll have to give it up over this 3G stuff. Its BASIC, no e Mail, internet, messaging or what ever is available now. I just download books and read. The size is perfect for me but change is in the wind here. Any suggestions for the best Kindle to replace the DX, love the size but its being phased out soon. Thanks for any suggestions.

·
5,946 Posts
There are no Kindles the size of the DX currently available - nor likely to be in the near future.

The largest size available is the 7" Oasis, but this is the top of the range model and therefore the most expensive. The most popular current Kindle seems to be the Paperwhite (with a 6" screen) which is more affordable.

If money is really tight, there's the basic Kindle, also with a 6" screen - if you're used to the no frills DX, this one may have enough features for you.

If you want to compare features on the various models, just go to any of the product pages and scroll down till you get to the comparison table.

It's worth remembering that although 3G usage is being phased out, you will still be able to use your DX but you'll have to download your books to your PC and load them onto your device via a USB cable.

·
Super Moderator
67,395 Posts
Linda is spot on!

You might want to at least look at the Amazon Fire line of tablets if you want something more the size of the DX. Personally, I find the Samsung models to be better value -- they just work better, it seems to me -- but it has been a while since I had a Fire. And of course there's the whole Apple line of iPads, which are generally more expensive to begin with. (In either case, you'd have to load the kindle app, but that's not hard.) But if you really don't want any of that extra stuff -- email, internet, movies, games, etc. -- you will want to stick with an eInk device. The kindles technically do have a browser, but in practice there's no good use for it.

For my money, the PaperWhite is the best value for money, but the basic model is a very fine device. The Oasis has a slightly larger screen, but, for me, that and the other features are not worth the premium price. That said, there are a bunch of folks who have them and REALLY like them. It's the only model that has dedicated page turn buttons, which you'll be used to with the DX. It is possible there will be new models coming out, especially in light of the news that 3G networks will soon be no more, but I would not expect anything with the screen size of the DX, sadly.

The main impact the loss of 3G will have is in how you load books, as Linda points out, and you'll no longer be able to look things up on Wikipedia. I don't know if the dictionary look up will still work -- it should as the dictionary is resident on the device.

It should also be noted that there are other companies than Amazon that make things with eInk screens. There's Kobo, of course, which is purely eReaders. Their largest model has an 8inch diagonal, so just a bit larger than the Oasis. The device can read both mobi and ePub files, but not Kindle books without first stripping DRM and converting. There are also devices by BOOX which appear to be based on an android operating system, and they offer something with a 10.3" screen. They're all for sale via Amazon and seem to support ePub and mobi in addition to some other file formats. The big add is that you can use a stylus to take real notes on the pages. But, again, you'd probably have to convert to read books in Amazon's proprietary (but based on mobi) format. (Or, maybe you can load the android Kindle app.)

Newer Kobos are compatible with library borrowing; not sure about the BOOX products.

Bottom line: except for the size, the newer kindles are all very much better than the DX in terms of readibility and lighting features and I think you'd be happy with any. You may have a small learning curve navigating menus and settings, but, really, it's pretty intuitive and I doubt you'd have any problems. And if you ask here, there are people who are happy to help you find stuff. :D

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
again, thanks. I like the suggestion about waiting to see what Kindle does. A lot of people may be in need of a change and Kindle may recognize the potential volume and have a special product or program in place to assist or encourage that effort. If not, a Paperwhite will fit my needs. I'll be able to get rid of the large overhead light I use daily.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ordered the Kindle PaperWhite on Prime day, good value and it was going to have to happen some day anyway. Loved the DX, its been on scuba trips around the world, most mornings on the beach but technology is about to us up.

·
Super Moderator
67,395 Posts
I think you'll really like the PW even with the smaller screen! Let us know!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts