Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I've heard a lot of comments on the size of the DX. I'm starting to doubt myself on whether or not the DX might be just a little too big. I got out my handy ruler and a piece of 8.5 x 11 paper to test it out. To me, it doesn't seem so big. But then again, I've never seen it in person. I'm starting to wonder if it will fit my hands comfortably or not. I always carry a messenger bag, so there's no issues on it being hard to carry around. I really like the fact that the screen is bigger, and it just seems to be an improvement from the K2. I know that the bigger screen is really meant for reading textbooks, graphs, charts, stuff like that. I still just like that I can fit more on one "page." So thus, this voice at the back of my mind keeps nagging me about the size. So, I'm trying to settle this once and for all.

What's your opinion?

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
If I bought one it would my at home reader. I wouldn't bother taking it anywhere. I already have a k1 and an iphone I can read from on the go.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
it depends if you carry large books (textbooks) or newpapers (like dad, who ALWAYS carries a newspaper EVERYWHERE!). To me its not that big, because the device its still thin.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Annie, I'm still weighing between the two, too, but someone brought up the weight issue in another thread. I read for long periods of time, so weight may be an issue -- 10 ounces vs 18 ounces or so. Just wanted to throw that in since someone else did for me. I'm still not positive, but it's something else for me to think about before I hit that "order" button.  :)

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Haha, BookishMom. I was just reading your thread. I thought about that too. I'm trying to find something that weighs about 18 ounces to see what it feels like to hold it for long periods of time. I'll back to you on that.

I am a student, so I can download textbooks. But I'm not sure how helpful it would be. I'm one of those people who flip through pages to find something. On a Kindle, I would assume it would be way too time consuming. Now, if I were just following along, then that would be perfectly fine to bring the DX along.

I just feel like, Amazon is just going to come out with another Kindle soon enough (to be named Kindle 3, I would assume), then I will regret having gotten a K2, if I decide not to get a DX. Though, I leaning fairly closer to the DX right now.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
The weight difference does become noticeable. My iphone only weighs 4 oz and much easier to read with weight wise than that kindle. I initially was really excited about the DX until I realized it's almost twice the weight of the K1 and over 4x the weight of my iphone.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
But will my not having owned a Kindle or any other reader have any influence? I really do need to go find something that weighs about 18 ounces.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Well, size is relative, isn't it? :)

I think the weight of it is more concerning than the size of it, but on top of that it just looks really awkward to hold comfortably. I don't quite understand why people who just want to read novels on it are attracted to it so much. It just looks big and ugly and cumbersome to me. Great for documents and textbooks and newspapers where screen size really does make a difference. Great for students who will no longer have to carry around several heavy textbooks everyday. Not so much for those who just want to read novels and books for everyday enjoyment. Call me short sighted but I just don't see the attraction there.

I don't know about you, but I like my books to be easily accessible. I like to just throw them in a bag with me, be able to hold them with one hand if I have to. My K1 suits these purposes just fine, and so would the K2. It's light-weight and small and portable. The DX doesn't seem to be any of these things, and the increased cost and having page buttons only on one side are big turn-off's for me (again, for regular reading of novels). I don't *want* a bigger screen for reading novels if it's going to make the entire device bigger. Fine if they increase the screen size within the size of the current K2 chassis, but until then, no thanks.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
I think it depends on how you read. I read a lot lying in bed and holding the device 1 handed and I have issues with my wrists. Not really bad ones but my wrists do get tired and sore from holding the k1 up one handed when lying down. That is part of the reason I ended up reading more on my phone now, it fits cradled in my palm.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
reemixx said:
Well, size is relative, isn't it? :)

I think the weight of it is more concerning than the size of it, but on top of that it just looks really awkward to hold comfortably. I don't quite understand why people who just want to read novels on it are attracted to it so much. It just looks big and ugly and cumbersome to me. Great for documents and textbooks and newspapers where screen size really does make a difference. Great for students who will no longer have to carry around several heavy textbooks everyday. Not so much for those who just want to read novels and books for everyday enjoyment. Call me short sighted but I just don't see the attraction there.

I don't know about you, but I like my books to be easily accessible. I like to just throw them in a bag with me, be able to hold them with one hand if I have to. My K1 suits these purposes just fine, and so would the K2. It's light-weight and small and portable. The DX doesn't seem to be any of these things, and the increased cost and having page buttons only on one side are big turn-off's for me (again, for regular reading of novels). I don't *want* a bigger screen for reading novels if it's going to make the entire device bigger. Fine if they increase the screen size within the size of the current K2 chassis, but until then, no thanks.
ITA the DX is not the first choice for fiction pleasure readers. I read mostly non fiction have a lot of books on .pdf and really wanted it for the native pdf. But even I'm on the fence. Besides I honestly don't "need" a 3rd e reader capable device, as much as I am a gadget girl.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So, I found two awkward objects to fit my hand that together weigh about 18 ounces, if not more. It is kind of heavy, I have to admit. The DX would definitely give my arms a workout. This decision is so difficult.

Reemix, I can totally see your point. Though, I'm one of these people I guess would say, "Bigger is better." I guess it would be considered "bulky" to some. But like I mentioned before - not having ever owned a Kindle or any other reading device. I bet it beats carrying a thick book. The K2 seems to have a lot of screen issues, and I think getting a K1 would be going back in time for me. I just like to be up to date on the technology.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Well how do you read most of the time? If you are mostly sitting up on the couch or a chair with the kindle on your lap, knees or the arm of the chair or couch then weight isn't much of a problem. I think the DX is lovely to look at and love the larger screen, but I'm on the fence now because I don't think it really fits my reading style, YK?

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, most likely, I would be resting the DX on a table surface of some kind, either on a desk or wherever. Though, I also like to read in bed. But even with a thick hardcover book, it's extremely uncomfortable to lie down on my back as I do with little paperbacks. I would probably have to lie on my stomach or, just sit up and read, which is also an uncomfortable position to read at bedtime for me. It's harder for me to fall asleep sitting up.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I'm not sure the weight makes any difference whatsoever to me.  I never hold books just in my hands, i usually prop them up on something, lap, table, chest etc.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Though, if I were to sit in a chair - say at an airport. It would probably hurt my back and neck having to lean down and read it on my lap. I would probably have to raise it a little, and that's probably when I would start to feel the weight of it. There are quite a few instances I could name that I would have to do that without any surface for me to place the DX on. Another example would be at home, if it's a nice day out, and I decide to sit on my porch step and read. The same outcome would take place.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Rasputina said:
ITA the DX is not the first choice for fiction pleasure readers.
I never said it was. But the fact remains that some novel readers are planning to buy one for just that purpose, which is why I said I don't understand their way of thinking. Just seems very unnecessary in my mind.

Annie said:
Reemix, I can totally see your point. Though, I'm one of these people I guess would say, "Bigger is better." I guess it would be considered "bulky" to some. But like I mentioned before - not having ever owned a Kindle or any other reading device. I bet it beats carrying a thick book. The K2 seems to have a lot of screen issues, and I think getting a K1 would be going back in time for me. I just like to be up to date on the technology.
There's nothing wrong with the K1 and I personally prefer it over the K2 despite being a major gadget geek myself. I ask you to ask yourself, however: do you *really* want a bigger screen for reading novels? If so, why?

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Do you have a hard time reading hardback books?  If no I can't see a problem with the DX as hardbacks have to weigh more than 18oz.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Reason for the bigger screen is my overall reading enjoyment and experience. It would definitely enhance it. I would be able to read more one page, and it would seem less crowded on a smaller screen. That's just the way I look at it.

It's like comparing a netbook to a regular laptop. Sure, it's smaller, more portable, and a lighter weight, but it kind of makes you want to squint a little, even if the text size is the same. It just goes with the size. I hope that made sense.

Annie said:
Well, most likely, I would be resting the DX on a table surface of some kind, either on a desk or wherever. Though, I also like to read in bed. But even with a thick hardcover book, it's extremely uncomfortable to lie down on my back as I do with little paperbacks. I would probably have to lie on my stomach or, just sit up and read, which is also an uncomfortable position to read at bedtime for me. It's harder for me to fall asleep sitting up.
Hopefully that answers your question, Forster. :)

·
Registered
257 Posts
Annie said:
Reason for the bigger screen is my overall reading enjoyment and experience. It would definitely enhance it. I would be able to read more one page, and it would seem less crowded on a smaller screen. That's just the way I look at it.

It's like comparing a netbook to a regular laptop. Sure, it's smaller, more portable, and a lighter weight, but it kind of makes you want to squint a little, even if the text size is the same. It just goes with the size. I hope that made sense.
But wouldn't it make more sense to compare it to the amount of text on a page of a regular book, since that's what it's trying to emulate? Perhaps I'm the opposite, but the less text on a page, the more efficient I am at reading it. Smaller chunks are easier to digest, let's just say. I'm quite sure studies have been done on that as well. People were able to read faster and comprehend better with less text given to them all at once.

If you were to say something like being able to increase the text size without cutting back on the amount of text on the screen at once, then fair enough, I could see that as being a valid point, if large text size was important to you.

Edited to add: Also consider the amount of words per line. The longer the line, the harder it is for the eye to follow. In most books. there's about 12 - 15 words per line, which has been proven to be comfortable for most people to read. On the DX with a small to regular text size, I can see that being a problem.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yes, Reemixx. That's part of the reason why. I would be able to increase text size, and still have a good amount of text on the page. I guess I'm peculiar for wanting more text on a page. It helps me read faster that way. People are different in their reading habits, so I can see why you like the K1 and K2.

Increasing the text size would most likely be an improvement on the strain of my eyes. I wouldn't have to get to close to the screen to read it clearly or anything, if I decided not to wear my contacts or glasses when I'm reading.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts