Kindle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

(1 minute youtube clip below)

I have a Kindle DX I purchased brand new, years ago when it first came out. I haven't used it in well over a year...maybe longer. Yesterday I went to charge it and the yellow light next to charge port comes on (critical low battery on screen) but then turns off after 40 seconds...and at about 20 seconds in, the screen starts flashing (as you see in the youtube clip) and it goes back to the critical low battery screen.

I did manage to get to the factory restore screen by holding down the "R"key after the screen flashes at the 40 second mark. I did get to type "RESET" and it still stays illuminated for 40 seconds.
Also, if i unplug it from the port and plug it back it still does the screen flash at about 15 to 20 seconds in.

Same thing happens when i slide the on/off switch at top to the right.

Anyway, is the kindledx salvageable? I mean I was able to type RESET so its gotta have some kinda life in it still, right?....it just won't charge. I did leave it plugged in over night thinking something would kick in and it would start charging but it didn't change anything.

Below is the 1 minute youtube clip BEFORE I did the factory restore (RESET)......So is this thing shot or is there hope? Its in IMMACULATE condition. Any help will be appreciated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtoZVhXo5gc

·
Registered
193 Posts
Are you plugging it in to a wall-charger?

If so, have you tried plugging into a computer (which will need to stay on) overnight or so?
Sometimes that revives a dead battery; I don't know if it will give yours that kick but it might.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fogeydc said:
Are you plugging it in to a wall-charger?

If so, have you tried plugging into a computer (which will need to stay on) overnight or so?
Sometimes that revives a dead battery; I don't know if it will give yours that kick but it might.
I did wall charger over night.

I plugged into laptop to see what it would do and it does what u see in the youtube vid. I dion the laptop. Just about 20 minutes.
Should the charging light stay on the entire time it charges till it turns green?

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
You can get a replacement battery from Newpower99 at the link below. There's also a video on that page showing just how to replace the battery so you can first decide if it's something you want to do. It seems like one of the easier Kindles to replace the battery.

I replaced the battery a few years ago in my Paperwhite and it was a lot trickier than this. I also decided not to pay the Newpower99 price and I got a battery for about 1/3 as much on Ebay. The new battery was no better than the old one and it was a LOT of work and I didn't want to do that again so I gave away that Paperwhite. Newpower99 has been around for years and years and has a good reputation for reliable batteries. I've been kicking myself for not getting it from them ever since.

https://www.newpower99.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=Amazon%20Kindle%20DX

Barry

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
barryem said:
You can get a replacement battery from Newpower99 at the link below. There's also a video on that page showing just how to replace the battery so you can first decide if it's something you want to do. It seems like one of the easier Kindles to replace the battery.

I replaced the battery a few years ago in my Paperwhite and it was a lot trickier than this. I also decided not to pay the Newpower99 price and I got a battery for about 1/3 as much on Ebay. The new battery was no better than the old one and it was a LOT of work and I didn't want to do that again so I gave away that Paperwhite. Newpower99 has been around for years and years and has a good reputation for reliable batteries. I've been kicking myself for not getting it from them ever since.

https://www.newpower99.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=Amazon%20Kindle%20DX

Barry
So based on what I posted, its your determination there battery has to be replaced? I have no alternative?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Have replaced my DX battery twice.  Not hard, couple U Tube videos.  My yellow light stays on until the green light comes on.  Its 10 years old, little slow downloading books at times.  I do worry about it finally breaking down.  I really do like the DX.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You wont believe this but I left it charging all day while i went to work..I came home just now and its CHARGED!!!

Its all back to normal..I didnt even lose any of my books when I did the factory restore/reset.

Now I gotta see if I can cancel the new battery order...UNLESS that battery fits in the regular smaller kindle...my moms battery is definitely done for good..she needs a battery. I will see if this new one will fit.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts