Kindle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently got my KindleDX up and running after years of being inactive.

When I go to my amazon account it shows it is registered to me (i bought it new and im the only owner), but when I go to settings/register the kindle itself shows it is NOT registered and I have to register it. I click on "register" and it asks for me my amazon account email and password. Once I type this in, it says the Kindle cant connect, and to restart kindle and try again. So i did this a few times with same result. Yes, it is connected to wifi...i tested it by going to amazon store on the kindle and I have full bars showing connection. What would be preventing me from connecting?!? And why does it show as being registered in my amazon account but not on the kindle itself?!??

Also,

The "Create New Collection" is grey'ed out and I cant click on it (as well as "View Archived Items" and "Sync & Check For Items" . Is this because of the registration issue listed above?!?? I was able to make collections in the past and nothing was ever grey'ed out before.

Any help/guidance will be appreciated. (I did call the Kindle tech support but i had to leave a message..no one picked up..no one has called me back yet)

·
Super Moderator
67,294 Posts
I didn't think the DX used WiFi. My recollection is that it was a cellular network. AND ... it's possible that Amazon has stopped supporting that connection -- as I recall it was through Sprint which has been absorbed into T-Mobile.

My brother had a DX for a long while .... and at some point it just stopped connecting reliably. He gave it back to me to mess with and it would only connect sporadically for me. This was years ago. It's what decided him to just get one of the newer, though smaller, ones.

It's possible that it got itself de-registered when the battery was flat for so long and now the connection problem won't let you re-connect to the registration. Try toggling wireless on and off and restarting, but, other than that, you might be out of luck. The good thing is, if it's is showing as registered on Amazon, you should be able to download and transfer without any issues.

Maybe Amazon can help you out ... I'd contact them again via the web site. Here's a page that should work: https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=hp_200127470_t1?nodeId=200375440

You'll see at the bottom of the menu choices on the left is a 'contact us' button. You can initiate a chat or a phone call -- they'll call you.

·
5,901 Posts
Ann is correct, the wireless on the DX is a 3G connection only - the wi-fi Kindles came later.

My DX shows it's registered to me and the 'create new collection' and 'sync and check for items' options aren't greyed out although 'view archived items' IS greyed out.

BUT the sync doesn't work as I can't connect to the store /Amazon anymore - when I turn on wireless it tries to connect for a short while then automatically turns itself off. I suppose it could be a fault with the device but I'd assumed it was that it wasn't supported anymore.

However, I can download books via USB from the 'manage your content and devices' page and in all other respects it works OK.

So there's a good chance if Amazon shows it as registered to you that you'll be able to download books via USB - put the file into the 'documents' folder on the Kindle.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Can I update the DX through my laptop. I have downloaded this to my laptop from the amazon website https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=GKMQC26VQQMM8XSW

Kindle DX (2nd Generation)
Your serial number starts with B009 download this file.
After your device has fully updated, download and install the Kindle Services Update.

Now how do I get the update to the kindle? I connected kindle to my laptop with USB and I see the kindle in windows explore...do I simply drag the dléd updates into the kindle?

Or do I have to dl the update to the kindle over the wireless network?

·
Super Moderator
67,294 Posts
Having the latest OS software will help. If you have the file on your computer, connect your DX to the computer via any USB cord. It should show up as a new 'drive'. Drag the update file to the 'drive' and then safely disconnect the kindle.

Turn the kindle on and go to the settings menu ... you should be able to initiate installing the update that way. As I recall, the page at Amazon gives pretty good step-by-step instructions. The important thing is to make sure the file gets dropped into the root -- don't put it into any of the folders you may see on the DX when you have it connected.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts