Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 143 Posts

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
MINI-REVIEW 1:

Well just unboxed it and I am noticing its taking a REALLY long time for all the books I moved to get on it, Longer then the K2 did and it times out but this maybe an indexing issue.

Not a fan of the auto rotate though you can control that feature.. sideways is nice but the buttons are at such an odd angle its hard to turn a page that way.

Screen is nice and big, really like the size.. that horrid Amazon Cover UGH.. will I ever learn. that goes back ASAP.. if thats a 50.00 cover I am in the wrong line of work

screen looks darker though almost a dark grey BUT I have to put it next to my K2 to compare to be sure. My favorite thing though is the screen size hands down..

One SMALL thing I hope to correct soon though.. I never liked the screensavers , which is why I have my own.. but Virginia Wolfe at this size.. beyond scary :)

This in no way is going to replace my K2, but it will great for home reading! Okay gang your turn

·
Registered
740 Posts
Thanks for the mini review.  The screen size difference is huge, I wasn't expecting it to be that big.  I'm really starting to like the Kindle DX, hopefully I will be able to buy one by the end of the summer.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the screen size is the entire K2.. I am having some downloading issues though.. talked to CS and am not sure what that is all about.. does not give me the warm fuzzies.. hopefully it will be resolved shortlly

·
Super Moderator
67,558 Posts
Sorry you're having issues, but, I gotta say, I wouldn't have tried to download everything at once, which is what I understand you're doing. . . my apologies if I misunderstood. . . .anyway, one hopes it will sort itself out.

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
Hopefully your issue is with Amazon and not your DX.  Sounds like with all the other little issues going on at Amazon today that may be the source of your problems.  I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.  (I had them crossed for Leslie's DX to be delivered on time, but since she received it my fingers are free.  LOL.)
deb

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
MINI-REVIEW 2:

My first impression: I really like the DX, especially when it comes to pictures.

I read a book a few months ago called The Bedford Boys, which was about a company of soldiers from Bedford, VA, who were in the D-Day invasion. The book itself was in Topaz format. There was a huge photo insert in the middle of the book and while I could see the pictures, I couldn't read any of the captions. There was no way to zoom in or increase the font. I just downloaded the book on my DX, found the pictures, and hooray! The screen is big enough that I can read the captions. Now I know what all those soldiers looked like and who was who.

I also started a trial subscription to the New England Journal of Medicine. On the articles with photos, if I rotate the DX, the pictures get bigger. Very cool. Note that in the book described above, they didn't get bigger, I think because of the Topaz formatting, which seems fixed.

Similarly, I downloaded a sample of The Languages of the World, which is listed as being "optimized for the DX." It appears that they have changed the font for the text (so that I can change the font size, eg) but tables and such are still in PDF/Topaz format. I can't zoom in and when I rotate the DX, the table doesn't get bigger. I can read it but I would prefer if it was a tad bigger (I will admit, my eyes are showing their age. I am sure someone with better eyesight than me would think the table is fine.) I downloaded the book on my K2 and I can barely read the table. So, there is a difference between the DX and K2 in this respect.

L

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Weight:

The DX, naked, weighs 18.7 ounces. My K2 with skin and Oberon cover, weighs 20 oz. However, the DX feels heavier. I think it is because of the size. I have an old easel for propping up papers when you are typing. The DX fits that perfectly and I suspect if I am going to be sitting here reading, I would use that. I think the Peeramid pillow would be perfect, too.

L

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Re: my previous message.

This ratty looking thing has been sitting on my desk for years. I haven't used it in ages.

Suddenly, it has a new life. The DX fits like a glove.

To be honest, my immediate impression is that this is how I'll read the DX comfortably. I'll get a cover for transport but I am thinking that the DX in a cover might be too heavy to hold comfortably for reading. We'll see...

L

·
Registered
904 Posts
It sounds really nice so far.  I'd be interested in hearing how a pdf file with pictures and drawings is displayed.
jp

·
Super Moderator
67,558 Posts
Leslie you might consider covering your 'ratty looking thing' with some stick on felt or something so you don't scratch your DX. But, yeah, it works like a charm, doesn't it. . . . .

<i want one i want one i want one>

·
Registered
135 Posts
Are there more options for font size on the DX or are they the same as on the K2?  My husband is considering getting the DX but wanted to wait for reviews before committing.  I'm curious to see if there are any sun fading issues with the DX, too.

·
Registered
18 Posts
MINI-REVIEW 3:

My first impression: I'm very impressed.

First of all, I've never owned another kindle, so I have nothing to compare it to. It seemed smaller than I was thinking it would be at first, but maybe that's just because I've never seen a K2. This was actually a good thing for me, because I was worried the DX would be too big. At the same time though, it felt a little heavier than I thought it would be.

So, I subscribed to several blogs and magazines to try them out, they all came out looking great. Even the pictures came out fairly well. The only problem seems to be darker pictures. The rotation works well, and seems fast.

The big test for me was pdfs though. I work in medical research and so I really wanted something to read journal articles on. I emailed my kindle a pdf to test out... it showed up almost immediately. After opening it, the text seemed very small and hard to read unless I held the kindle very close. The text can't be altered by the normal font increase/decrease button. After rotating it, the text looked perfect though. As for the pictures, I really thought there was no way my images would show up because they involve a lot of histology and detailed pictures. Actually, they don't look bad at all. The darker pictures again showed up horribly, but the lighters ones look great. I'm working on maybe getting some pictures up soon.

·
Registered
3 Posts
First post to the boards, glad to be here :).  Kindle 1 (sold), Kindle 2 (sold) and soon to be Kindle DX owner in just a few hours!

Have you loaded any PDF's on your DX yet?  I'm very curious how it's going to name them.  Is it using the file name or does it use the meta data in the file to generate the title/author.  

I have a large collection of PDF's that I've gone ahead and prepared by naming them with my own little scheme so that they'll hopefully be arranged in an orderly fashion when loaded on the DX but I don't know for sure.  Hopefully we'll get the so called "grouping" feature down the road!

Anxious for my DX that is on the truck for delivery!

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Patra said:
Are there more options for font size on the DX or are they the same as on the K2? My husband is considering getting the DX but wanted to wait for reviews before committing. I'm curious to see if there are any sun fading issues with the DX, too.
There are six sizes, same as the K2. As I noted over on the tips thread, there is an option to shower fewer words per line.

You know what I am already wanted? Ted-San's font hack. I like the font on my K2 better than the default on the DX, I think because I have gotten used to the K2 font from Ted.

Ted, are you listening?

L

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
mwilliams said:
First post to the boards, glad to be here :). Kindle 1 (sold), Kindle 2 (sold) and soon to be Kindle DX owner in just a few hours!

Have you loaded any PDF's on your DX yet? I'm very curious how it's going to name them. Is it using the file name or does it use the meta data in the file to generate the title/author.
I emailed a PDF book to my DX. The title of the book came through as the title; the author is listed as "Experimental Alchemy." That's not the author or the publisher so I have no idea where that came from.

The book looks like it does in Acrobat Reader. You know what it reminds me of? A book with Topaz formatting.

L

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Wow I used to have one of those ratty things, threw it out ages ago.. figures NOW I need it!

Drenee.. I did call CS.. downloading is really taking a while.. so I am just letting it go and see what it does.. they say it seems to be good on their end so thats a good sign and CS is going to call me back in a few hours for an update

Leslie .. did you have books preloaded from your account, if so how long did it take you to get them on the DX.. I am at this an hour.. seems very long for that

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Patrizia said:
Leslie .. did you have books preloaded from your account, if so how long did it take you to get them on the DX.. I am at this an hour.. seems very long for that
I actually didn't have any books preloaded. I had emailed two PDF files which showed up immediately. Then I downloaded a few books from the archive. They came through lickety-split, as usual. One book had Topaz formatting (meaning, big file) and that did take a little bit longer to download...ie, a minute, vs. seconds.

L

1 - 20 of 143 Posts