Kindle Forum banner

Will you [url=http://www.tinyurl.com/buykindledx]purchase the new kindle DX[/url]?

• Yes

Votes: 65 15.7%
  • No

Votes: 263 63.7%
  • Undecided

Votes: 81 19.6%
  • Not for me but will buy for someone else

Votes: 4 1.0%
1 - 20 of 306 Posts

·
Registered
5,384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The new Kindle DX has a screen that is 9.7 in and costs $489.

I will not purchase it because I am very happy with my K 2 and have no need for a larger screen.

What about you?

>> Amazon's Kindle DX page

·
Registered
111 Posts
I agree that it is too big for me personally, however, if the print is larger, I can see where this particular KDX would be beneficial to people with sight problems.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
K2 is perfect for my needs.  No need for a bigger screen, nor a flatter wallet.

·
Registered
530 Posts
The small, paperback sized form factor is part of what I love about my Kindle. The larger device is not really for me. But I do see it's application for newspapers, textbooks etc.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Native PDF support is a plus to me.  My lovely spouse has been asking to read my Kindle - which I've demurred on. :)  I'll revisit once this has released and I've seen the hands-on reviews.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Due to the fact that I am a student and if the textbooks worked without any conversion, then I would be interested but not at $489...geez, the cost of textbooks suck you dry and then to have to pay this on top of it...I will stick with my K2 and a few glitchs in conversion before I pay that price.

·
Super Moderator
67,324 Posts
a bunch of us are in chat as they blog from the press conference

Ann

·
Registered
435 Posts
I answered yes, not because I'm going to place my order immediately but because I surely will buy one at some time in the future.  I love my K2 and will continue using it for reading certain kinds of books, but there will be a place for DX in my life too because it has a different purpose.  I will use a DX for newspapers, magazines, and business documents.  My husband will do the same.  And I expect my children will use whatever model is available when they are in college.  I think this is a very exciting development and it has my full support.      

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
I am going to get one for work and hope to GOD they let me expense it!

·
Registered
295 Posts
tippymn said:
Due to the fact that I am a student and if the textbooks worked without any conversion, then I would be interested but not at $489...geez, the cost of textbooks suck you dry and then to have to pay this on top of it...I will stick with my K2 and a few glitchs in conversion before I pay that price.
It depends on the pricing. You would think they would be priced cheaper than regular text books because of saved production costs. Also the publishers don't have to worry about them being resold to used books stores.

·
Registered
35 Posts
There are no page buttons on the left side of the device.  That means I can't read in bed like I do now with my K2.  There is no mention of folders or any other kind of organizational structure that will allow you to use that 2X storage space (4GB).  I think I'll wait.  However, the replacement of textbooks will save students tons of hernias and back-related problems.

·
Premium Member
63,461 Posts
Gertie Kindle 'Turn to Page 390' said:
At $489? I'm still happy with my K1. Little Gertie has been good for me.
You and me, both, Gertie. (I mean my K1 has been good for me, not Little Gertie).

Congrats on 3200 posts!!!!

Betsy

1 - 20 of 306 Posts