Kindle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi -- Is there any material differece between the Kindle edition of a book, and it's corresponding hardcopy edition?  Is it word for word?  Not abridged?  Just was wondering.  I know there has to be some image differences regarding pictures or photos, but what about the text?  Word for word?

ZU

·
Registered
167 Posts
They are generally the same unless other stated. It will state abridged if it is, if not then it is the full version. You can compare the descriptions to make sure or download a sample.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
It should be the same word for word. But sometimes when the document is converted by the publisher, things get out of order. I've seen that in a couple of books and it's disconcerting.

·
Registered
679 Posts
MonaSW said:
It should be the same word for word. But sometimes when the document is converted by the publisher, things get out of order. I've seen that in a couple of books and it's disconcerting.
I have seen that too - and sometimes it is just fornatting - lack of section breaks can be very disoncerting in some cases (when a paragraph runs into a anpther one about a completely differnet thing for example).

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
I had a book where the size of the font was smaller for a page or 2 than went back to normal.  That's the strangest thing I've had so far. 

·
Super Moderator
67,319 Posts
I'm reading Wheel of Darkness right now by Preston and Child. There are a couple of places where they 'quote' something in Tibetan script. I don't have the paper book to compare it with but it seemed to come through just fine. I've found no problems in any of the purchased books I've read other than the occasional typo, which, in my experience, you can also often find in paper copies. Some of the free books are poorly formatted but if it's not good from one site it might be better from another.

Ann

·
Registered
300 Posts
I have seen a few glitches but believe me in the publishing industries glitches are a way of life.
They pop up when you least except it.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Lizzy said:
There is no reason i can think of for a ebook to be abridged. Its just a small computer file.
And it would be a pain in the next for the publisher to abridge it. They have the efile for the book, all they need to do to make an ebook is convert it. Abridging would involve editing and more work and they certainly don't want to do that for the number of books out there that need to be converted.

L

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
Some ebooks are abridged because the DTB was. One example of this is The Count of Monte Cristo, which is rarely seen in its full, 1000+ page length. I think Project Gutenberg has the unabridged edition, but I think you would be hard-pressed to find anything other than the 1846 abridged (and censored) version on a bookshelf in a store (prior to the late 1990s,when a brand-new translation was done from the source).

You'd also be hard-pressed to find anyone who wanted to wade through the full text unless they had a lot of spare time. I have the full-text ebook, and have made a small dent in the total page count, heh.

Mike

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
sebat said:
I had a book where the size of the font was smaller for a page or 2 than went back to normal. That's the strangest thing I've had so far.
I had that happen to me once. I think it was The Princess Bride. It was only a couple of paragraphs on maybe 2 pages.

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
jmiked said:
Some ebooks are abridged because the DTB was. One example of this is The Count of Monte Cristo, which is rarely seen in its full, 1000+ page length. I think Project Gutenberg has the unabridged edition, but I think you would be hard-pressed to find anything other than the 1846 abridged (and censored) version on a bookshelf in a store (prior to the late 1990s,when a brand-new translation was done from the source).

You'd also be hard-pressed to find anyone who wanted to wade through the full text unless they had a lot of spare time. I have the full-text ebook, and have made a small dent in the total page count, heh.

Mike
The movie with Jim Caviezel, Guy Pearce, and Richard Harris is fantastic though.

·
Registered
509 Posts
At times, photos and other illustrations included in the print volume will not be incluced in the Kindle edition. Not every Kindle edition omits this content. As far as I know, there's no mention of non-included items in the Kindle edition.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts