Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This topic came up on another forum I browse on an infrequent basis: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=53929.0

What situations is it okay to read your Kindle? What situations is it not okay to read your Kindle?

Have you ever had anyone make a disparaging comment about your Kindle, similar to the one posted in the link above? If so, how did you respond?

·
Registered
244 Posts
Wow there really are boards for everything.  And they use the same software as KB.  Really though,  I think the people making the comments didn't think he was reading a book and they were way out of line in any case.  I think it is fine to read a Kindle anywhere you would read any other book.  I think that would make the dinner table out of bounds.  ;)

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
I will read my Kindle about anywhere I would a book, ie. about anywhere I choose.

·
Registered
947 Posts
If someone made a comment like that to me in public, I'd drop a C-bomb on them before they could blink.  Then ask how many dozen books they'd read in the past month.  I despise people who can't mind their own business.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
In our family, it's okay to read at breakfast (usually someone has a newspaper), mostly at lunch (usually depends on where we are eating), and never at dinner. So I wouldn't pull out my Kindle at dinner, just like I wouldn't want one of the others to read a book or magazine.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
geko29 said:
If someone made a comment like that to me in public, I'd drop a C-bomb on them before they could blink. Then ask how many dozen books they'd read in the past month. I despise people who can't mind their own business.
I live here in Maine where strangers don't tend to make comments to other strangers. So stories like this always amaze me. If someone said something to me, I'm not sure what I would do. Probably just stare at them.

L

·
Registered
26 Posts
Technically it's not ok to read your Kindle for the first 20 minutes or so of the flight until they allow you to turn back on electronic devices....

Other than that, I read Kindle everywhere.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Sparkplug said:
This topic came up on another forum I browse on an infrequent basis: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=53929.0

What situations is it okay to read your Kindle? What situations is it not okay to read your Kindle?

Have you ever had anyone make a disparaging comment about your Kindle, similar to the one posted in the link above? If so, how did you respond?
If you'd read a book, read a Kindle; otherwise, don't. Any time there is not implied social contact, implied attention to other activities (such as driving), reading a book perfectly fine -- especially waiting in line for anything.

The response, if they were as rude as the linked piece, is simple: [distracted] "You know, I was just reading in this book I have here on this device, that, quote, 'today more and more people find it acceptable to comment upon, and attempt to control, the actions of others, even though it remains a f***ing impolite and rude thing to do', unquote. Don't you find that fascinating? Oh, sorry, what were you saying?"

Works every time and there's little they can really say in reply.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The table is off limits too in my household -- unless I'm eating alone! I wish my husband was a "reader", then we could mutually agree to times for when it is okay to eat and read together. Although I'll need to ask him tonight why it's okay to have the TV on sometimes while we eat, but it's not okay for me to read at the table.  ;)

·
Registered
244 Posts
V said:
If you'd read a book, read a Kindle; otherwise, don't. Any time there is not implied social contact, implied attention to other activities (such as driving), reading a book perfectly fine -- especially waiting in line for anything.

The response, if they were as rude as the linked piece, is simple: [distracted] "You know, I was just reading in this book I have here on this device, that, quote, 'today more and more people find it acceptable to comment upon, and attempt to control, the actions of others, even though it remains a f***ing impolite and rude thing to do', unquote. Don't you find that fascinating? Oh, sorry, what were you saying?"

Works every time and there's little they can really say in reply.
I like that - I might leave the expletive out (I mean why be offensive when you are trying teach them not to be rude :))

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
PJS said:
Wow there really are boards for everything. And they use the same software as KB. Really though, I think the people making the comments didn't think he was reading a book and they were way out of line in any case. I think it is fine to read a Kindle anywhere you would read any other book. I think that would make the dinner table out of bounds. ;)
And thank you for not using pink ;)

That situation probably would have turned into one of those "O God, Mom--please don't embarrass me moments" that my daughter hates. ;D
Speaking of my daughter, one of our favorite quick outings when she was growing up was to get a new book at the bookstore, then hit Roundtable pizza for a couple of hours of silent pizza eating & reading. I gave her my K1--maybe we should revive the tradition.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Sparkplug said:

No one has disparaged my Kindle. I have gotten disapproving remarks about my reading BOOKS in inappropriate situations (according to the commenter anyway), but nothing specifically about the Kindle. Now, my iPhone has triggered some remarks about brains turning to mush due to everyone needing to text and SMS and email and blah blah all the time... which prompts me to turn around and say "excuse me, could you please pipe down a bit? I'm reading the complete works of William Shakespeare on my iPhone and I'm at that really great part of the Taming of the Shrew where Kate is losing it completely. I'm trying to concentrate on the poetry. Thanks."

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
It must be because I live in a known high tech area, but I've never gotten any negative comments when using my iPhone.  Either it's ignored outright, or people want to talk about it (we've had them since they first came out, not so much of a novelty factor now).  As for the etiquette side of things, Kindle etiquette for me is the same as reading on the iPhone; acceptable while waiting for appointments or reservations, or while eating alone.  Not acceptable if hubby is expecting conversation or other social situations.

The Kindle is mostly garnering a LOT of questions from people.  In fact, I'm starting to feel like I don't want to even try to read it in public any more as I can't get any actual reading done!  LOL

·
Registered
126 Posts
Sparkplug said:
Yes, I don't think using expletives would fall under proper ettiquette. ;D
That, my dear plucky Sparkplug, is precisely the point of using them :) They are like any other words, they have their proper uses to communicate, color, and shade ideas.

I can't imagine anyone from Texas, where I live, being rude enough to make a comment such as was linked -- not without a big smile to tell ya they're just teasin' -- but in the states I've lived in before, the kinda rude they feel comfortable being, getting off with only the one expletive is going kinda soft. I may have gone native here in Texas but I haven't lost my command for language for transplants (of which we have a lot, being the Texas tech mecca) when they go out of their way to earn it.

LaraAmber said:
Why the frak not?
Hahaha, that was priceless!

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
LOL I'm sorry as long as I'm not reading in church or during "family time" it's nobody's business but mine when and where I read. Common courtesy should always be used but if your waiting for a bus/ class to start etc who cares?

1 - 20 of 98 Posts