Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

From the Amazon Press Conference:

Stephen King said:
10:35AM "I got a call from my agent, he asked me if I would be interested in writing a story for the new Kindle... and I said, gee, I don't think so. I don't write stories on demand."

10:36AM "I've been a Kindle user, I don't read everything on it, but I read a lot on it. I subscribe to Slate, I can change the font size -- when I said no, I thought 'You're a real ass -- you could have gotten a new Kindle!'"

10:38AM "So I was thinking about it, and I got a scene in my head -- it's about a young man who teaches english, he's reading a copy of Deliverance, and his girlfriend is upset, but he's ignoring her, finally she blows up and says 'Why can't you read off the computer like the rest of us?!' and I wanted to write that scene..."

10:39AM "The call came in January, and I started the story two days before Obama was inaugurated... and I did get a new Kindle out of it. I said, don't you think I should have one for research?"
I have mixed feelings about this:

PROS

- Price: $2.99. Can't beat that.
- Kindle Exclusive: How cool is that? It shows that the K has truly arrived!

CONS

- Seems like the ultimate cash-out whore job: King openly admitted he wrote this just to get a Kindle 2. I don't blame him - I'd have done the same - but still.
- Sounds terrible (IMO): Yeah, it's about the K, which is cool. Otherwise, ehhhh.

Your thoughts?

ADDED 2/10: Oh, what the heck... You guys have convinced me. For $3, I'll give UR a shot. It sounds so completely, utterly absurd that I know I'll at least be amused while reading it.

·
Registered
224 Posts
reading his story today was kinda cool, an that smile holding that pink kindle is priceless!

its prolly a short story I'll read because of the funny story leading to it. that make sense?

·
Registered
326 Posts
I'll let you know what my thoughts are as soon as i get done reading it.   ;D

I saw the pre-order and its a huge file so he must have spent alot of time writing it. Im sure its gonna be as good as anything else he puts out and im glad he got the kindle. I also doubt he did it just for a kindle cause he could probly by out the whole plant if he wanted to. I think he just likes the one he got so much that he wanted to do a story on it. I think those quotes are more of a teaser than anything. JMO

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, it's so cheap that even though I'm not won over by the premise, I'm tempted because the K exclusivity and subject matter is kinda cool.

G

·
I assume, given what we know of the scene that was the kernel of the story, that "UR" is either "you are" or "your" in that Godawful text/IM lingo that kids and morons use.

"Ur" (pron. "ur") is where Gilgamesh came from.  Or maybe it was Beowulf.

·
Registered
731 Posts
From SK's website:

UR, Exclusively on Amazon's Kindle

Since his first novel was published in 1974, Stephen King has stretched the boundaries of the storyteller as a writer who constantly redefines his readers' experience by working in various genres and formats.

Whether in an epic horror novel, like THE STAND, a serial-novel like THE GREEN MILE, or a novella like SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION, King is able to deliver a reading experience like no one else can. As quickly as a spider spins its web, King reminds us why he's the master of the novella - a format which, up until now that is, one might have thought is fast disappearing.

In his new novella, UR, King is at his unsettling best as he examines the future of the written word - for better or worse. Following a nasty break-up, lovelorn college English instructor Wesley Smith can't seem to get his ex-girlfriend's parting shot out of his head: "Why can't you just read off the computer like the rest of us?" Egged on by her question and piqued by a student's suggestion, Wesley places an order for Amazon.com's Kindle eReader. The [pink?] device that arrives in a box stamped with the smile logo - via one-day delivery that he hadn't requested - unlocks a literary world that even the most avid of book lovers could never imagine. But once the door is open, there are those things that one hopes we'll never read or live through. Firm, gripping, and deftly written by a craftsman at the top of his game, this is King at his crisp, clear, page-turning best.

Excerpt from the Amazon press release:

Author Stephen King announced today that he is releasing a novella, "Ur," which will only be available on Kindle. At the center of Ur is lovelorn college English instructor Wesley Smith, who can't seem to get his ex-girlfriend's parting shot out of his head: "Why can't you just read off the computer like the rest of us?" Egged on by her question and piqued by a student's suggestion, Wesley places an order for a Kindle. Smith's Kindle arrives in a box stamped with the smile logo and unlocks a literary world that even the most avid of book lovers could never imagine. But once the door is open, there are those things that one hopes we'll never read or live through. Ur is available for pre-order beginning today and will be released later this month. For Kindle customers who pre-order, King's new novella will download automatically when it becomes available.

·
Registered
26,676 Posts
Bacardi Jim said:
I assume, given what we know of the scene that was the kernel of the story, that "UR" is either you are" or "your" in that Godawful text/IM lingo that kids and morons use.

"Ur" (pron. "ur" is where Gilgamesh came from. Or maybe it was Beowulf.
Or the family of Ur followed in Michener's The Source

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Bacardi Jim said:
I assume, given what we know of the scene that was the kernel of the story, that "UR" is either you are" or "your" in that Godawful text/IM lingo that kids and morons use.
I used to student aide in high school....kids are starting to use this type of speak in school assignments. Awful, right?

G

·
Vegas_Asian said:
I used to student aide in high school....kids are starting to use this type of speak in school assignments. Awful, right?
Don't get me started.

Wait... I'm getting this from my producer... apparently, I have already started.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Man... I can't remember the last time I sat down with a Stephen King piece and read it.  Shame, too... he's the guy I read that really inspired me to start doing my own writing. 

·
Registered
136 Posts
While I'm not the biggest fan of King's recent works (but greatly admire his earlier ones), I'm really looking forward to reading UR.

Maybe it's the image of Stephen with a pink Kindle. Maybe it's the concept of a story featuring the Kindle.

Either way, it's a hoot.  ;D

1 - 20 of 41 Posts