Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 3947 Posts

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...makes for a very nifty combination. Most of the free apps tend to be games, but occasionally there's something really useful - like QuickOffice Pro for free earlier this week. Definitely worth checking every day.

Have you gotten anything good off the Free App of the Day?

·
Super Moderator
67,395 Posts
I've picked up several. . . have had android devices for a while. . . .today's Free app is Bejeweled 2

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Ann, will these apps work on other android devices or on the Fire only?

·
Registered
674 Posts
HappyGuy said:
All of the Amazon Apps I have on my Xoom and Droid 2 cell phone are available in Cloud for me to download onto the Fire. So far everything that works on my other devices works on the Fire too. And this morning when I downloaded the free Bejeweled app onto the Fire, it was available on my phone and Xoom immediately to download as well.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
HappyGuy said:
All of the apps potentially will work on other devices. As open architecture some apps will not work on some devices. Just dive in and try.

·
Super Moderator
67,395 Posts
HappyGuy said:
Generally, it depends. ;D

When you go to the app store, and look at an app it will say which devices it works on with either a green check mark or a red X. It only shows 2 devices so if you have more you click the 'see all devices' link and it shows them all with indicators. I have 3 devices, a Fire, a Droid, and a Xoom and various combinations are checked depending on the app. Some do NOT work for the Fire -- but I won't be surprised if they eventually have versions that do, so if it's something you want, make note and keep checking.

·
Registered
53 Posts
The Fire will be my first Droid device.  I want to order the free app of the day while it's free and then download it to my Fire when it comes tomorrow or Friday.  I see that I have to type in my email address to get the free app sent to me.  Once I've done that, do I have a few days to download the app for free or must it be done the same day?

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Generally, it depends
Very true. For instance, for QuickOffice, I have a Toshiba Thrive with Honeycomb, and the default version of the app would not install on my tablet. However, there was a second version for tablets that installed on my device. So sometimes (but not always) a developer will support multiple versions of an app.

One of the advantages of a more controlled environment like the Fire is the avoidance of platform fragmentation.

·
Super Moderator
67,395 Posts
AuburnSky said:
The Fire will be my first Droid device. I want to order the free app of the day while it's free and then download it to my Fire when it comes tomorrow or Friday. I see that I have to type in my email address to get the free app sent to me. Once I've done that, do I have a few days to download the app for free or must it be done the same day?
There were a bunch of folks who got several free apps over the last month. . .they were all there available in the cloud to download when their Fires arrived and connected. So you should be fine. :D

·
Registered
53 Posts
Ann in Arlington said:
There were a bunch of folks who got several free apps over the last month. . .they were all there available in the cloud to download when their Fires arrived and connected. So you should be fine. :D
Oh that's great news! Especially because I downloaded the free office pro one from Monday too. :) Woo hoo!

Thank you!

·
Registered
368 Posts
Ann in Arlington said:
Lucky people! It did not work for me, but I hope it does for you, AuburnSky!

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
There were a bunch of folks who got several free apps over the last month. . .they were all there available in the cloud to download when their Fires arrived and connected.
I know someone who's planning to get an Android phone in March when her current phone contract expires, so she's been downloading every free app she likes until then.

·
Premium Member
63,460 Posts
Ann in Arlington said:
None of mine were. :'(

Betsy

·
Super Moderator
67,395 Posts
Betsy the Quilter said:
None of mine were. :'(

Betsy
Hmmmm.
Btackett definitely said the ones she'd gotten were there. . . . maybe she'll chime in and say how she did it specifically.

·
Premium Member
63,460 Posts
Ann in Arlington said:
Hmmmm.
Btackett definitely said the ones she'd gotten were there. . . . maybe she'll chime in and say how she did it specifically.
From what she said before, it didn't seem that she did anything different than I did...oh, well...

Betsy

·
Registered
6,287 Posts
Hands-down my favorite freebie from Amazon back when I first got my phone was Plants vs Zombies.  I can't say if it works on the Fire because it hung when I tried to download it yesterday and I haven't had a chance to try again, but it did show up my list of cloud apps on the Fire.
I have several - mostly alternate input methods - that don't show up.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Andra said:
Hands-down my favorite freebie from Amazon back when I first got my phone was Plants vs Zombies. I can't say if it works on the Fire because it hung when I tried to download it yesterday and I haven't had a chance to try again, but it did show up my list of cloud apps on the Fire.
I also downloaded Plants vs Zombies when it was free, but it never would run on my crappy phone. Installed it on my fire this morning and it works great. I can't stop playing.

·
Super Moderator
67,395 Posts
Today's Free App of the Day:

Regularly $9.99

1 - 20 of 3947 Posts