Kindle Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a couple of granddaughters that I might consider getting Kindles for.  One is 8 and the other a teenager.

I was wondering if some of you have bought Kindles for your children or grandchildren and did they like them and take care of them?

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
It is an interesting question.  I have a niece who is going to be 4 this year.  I have seen her use her dad's iPad and she seems to be careful with it and enjoy it  She is not really reading much on her own yet, but I can see her using a Kindle somewhere down the road.  I agree that it depends on the kid.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Definitely depends on the kid, but if they like reading, I'll bet they would LOVE having their own Kindles. I know a girl who had her own laptop computer at age three and does great with it. Now she's six and better than some adults. It inspired her to learn to read and write. Kids love technologies and adapt to them very easily with just a little instruction. You just need to make sure they are taught to be careful with their devices. 

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
My 18 year-old loves hers.  She still reads paper books but she loves her Kindle.  The coolest part, for me, is that I can send her samples to see if she'd like something and I can treat her with books that she's mentioned she wants.  The next time she connects her wireless, there it is. Note from Mom. :)

·
Registered
917 Posts
My kids (4, ages 8 to almost 16) love reading on my Kindle. It's still that--MINE--but eventually, they'll get their own, I'm sure. And then we'll need rules about permission before purchases and the like.

Right now, the biggest rules: you can't read it if Mom is reading it, and KEEP THE COVER ON in case it gets dropped.

·
Registered
619 Posts
AnnetteL--we're going your route in our family so far. But we already have a "How Kindle Saved Our Family Peace" story: my 4th grade son wanted to re-read THE LIGHTNING THIEF but could only find books 2-4 of the series even though he'd bought the whole set. He decided this was his 6th-grade sister's fault and was rampaging around accusing her and causing her to burst into tears (not difficult, since she's pre-adolescent, but still...) It was actually my husband's fault. He'd cleaned out the car and thrown the book away. Then I got the brilliant idea to check if I could download Book One to my Kindle. YES. For a measly $5, peace could be instantly restored to our family. No-brainer.

So the boy is now 22% through the book and happily updating me whenever his % goes up. Yay, Kindle.

·
Registered
12,233 Posts
I really think they should make a Kindle especially for kids. You know, something in bright colors with big buttons, extra durable, and maybe waterproof. A large screen like the one on the DX would be nice too. And of course some kind of code parents could type in to lock out inappropriate content. Oh and they should definitely make it in color so younger kids can look at illustrated books.

The price would need to be very affordable too so parents wouldn't feel nervous about trusting the gadget in the hands of a kid.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Dara England said:
I really think they should make a Kindle especially for kids. You know, something in bright colors with big buttons, extra durable, and maybe waterproof. A large screen like the one on the DX would be nice too. And of course some kind of code parents could type in to lock out inappropriate content. Oh and they should definitely make it in color so younger kids can look at illustrated books.

The price would need to be very affordable too so parents wouldn't feel nervous about trusting the gadget in the hands of a kid.
Extra durable is great, and being water-resistant is a plus. But I wouldn't make it in bright colors, kids don't really want things that look like "kiddie" things, parents often think that they do. Kids would probably be embarrassed to have a kiddie version, especially if their Kindle lasts a few years.

·
Registered
72 Posts
My middle grade sons "steal" mine so often that I think they'll each get one for Christmas at the latest. And then the grandparents, aunts, uncles etc will end up giving them Amazon cards for future birthdays/holidays. This purple koolaid is delicious.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts