Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I wanted your advice....Hubby travels a lot so he would definately benefit from a Kindle in that way, however....he is not a fast reader and reads exclusively non-fiction.  He does like the look of the eink on my Kindle.....but he would mostly use it for travel; at home, maybe not so much....but I could be wrong.

Do you think it would be a good Father's Day gift?  Say, with some books I know he would like already on it?  He has another international trip coming on Father's Day actually...Or do you think there are people that the Kindle just isn't made for...?

I appreciate your input....

·
Registered
327 Posts
history_lover said:
If he doesn't travel with more than one book (you say he's not a fast reader), I don't think Kindle would be a benefit for the travel reason - unless he usually buys big hardbacks or something.
Mine is like that. It's one reason I wouldn't buy him a Kindle. Big strong man can carry one or two extra books in his massive laptop case! :D

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I neglected to mention that his books are always big!  Current one he is reading is over 4 inches thick and the one he wants to take next on his trip is about 3 inches....they always seem heavy to me, plus he carries so much other stuff!

And there is a lot of stuff he likes available on Kindle as far as I can tell....

·
Registered
327 Posts
Picatsso said:
I neglected to mention that his books are always big! Current one he is reading is over 4 inches thick and the one he wants to take next on his trip is about 3 inches....they always seem heavy to me, plus he carries so much other stuff!
OMG sounds like he reads the Internal Revenue Code in his spare time. :p

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
A Kindle is definitely lighter than the Internal Revenue Service code. :)

Plus, you can also use the Kindle to carry files from one place to the next. (He could take a long some pictures of you to remind him of how much he misses you!) :) And the Kindle can also hold music files, if your husband wants to listen to his favorite songs while he's on the road.  Plus, it plays games, so he'll always have a way to play all the classics like Chess, Checkers, Backgammon, Scrabble, and Monopoly... :)

·
Registered
568 Posts
I think it would make a good father's day gift. If there are books he would read on it, then I think his first trip without lugging a 20lb book would sell him on it.

I know my wife is an avid reader. She can go through several books a week. I was lucky to read five or six books a year. Now that I have a Kindle, I read 3-4 books a month (I didn't see that coming).

Plus, he may find that there are other genres he likes, especially after going through the reading list and all the different free ebook offerings out there. Lighter load and more variety. It sounds like a good option. The only thing left to decide is a K3 or larger DX!

·
Registered
8,822 Posts
A Kindle would be a wonderful gift any time of the year......I find I read faster on my Kindle and your husband might also. I also travel a great deal and the Kindle has made such a huge difference for me.....DO NOT LEAVE YOU KINDLE IN THE AIRCRAFT SEAT POCKET !!

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
My hubby was first introduced to a Kindle when traveling with a friend.  He let him borrow it to read on the plane.  When he called to say he arrived, he kept talking about it and continued for weeks after.  He raved about how wonderful it was to read and how he could see so much better than reading a paper book - esp on the plane.  I filed that info away and gave him one for our anniversary a couple months later.  Fortunately that was right after the new K3 came out so the timing was perfect.  HE WAS THRILLED!    And this is a man who is not into tech stuff and thought ereaders were useless prior to actually using one.  Like your hubby, he reads big books (history) and not very fast but loves his K3.    He also commented how it is better for reading outside than a regular book - no glare.      Both of us read more now that we have our kindles. 

·
Registered
436 Posts
Another benefit of traveling with kindle -- if you have the GS3 version and experience unexpected delays, you can go to the kindle store and buy yourself another book.  Without wireless.  At no cost beyond the cost of the book itself.

I got snowed in overnight once.  Would have been nice to have more reading material...

·
Registered
327 Posts
Ann in Arlington said:
25 plus years as a tax professional. . .the last 15 as an Enrolled Agent. . . .
Aha! My S.O. used to do a lot of stuff for U.S. expat individuals, but now he's more into corporate international stuff.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So I did it!  Bought him the Wi-Fi K3 with the chocolate brown lighted cover...added about 5 books I know he would like and...and...

Yes!  He loves it!!!  (gave it to him early since he will be out of town.. )

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
3,016 Posts
I'm sure he will love it!  I read quite a bit of non-fiction (and lots of fiction too) and I tend to love long books, so that is more weight to save.

He might like a blog or two.  I sub to the NYTimesLatest News Blog and find that for international and national news I'm definitely ahead of my paper newspaper on those items and the NYTimes blog articles are often quite in-depth.

Of course with wi-fi only, he'd get the downloads when he was near a wifi hotspot but those are increasingly available, especially at most hotels and airports.  I went to get a sandwich at TOGOs Friday and they have free wifi now.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.