Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Kindle for PC is great to have, for sure. If I didn't want to read eBooks outside the home, such as when commuting, I might not need the handheld Kindle at all. That said, Kindle for PC lacks some important features, such as the ability to search a book for a word or phrase. Reading Christopher Plummer's memoirs, I wanted to find what he had to say about a play I once saw him in. With the Kindle, I found the play's title instantly; in Kindle for PC, I'd have had to skim the whole book to find it, and I might have missed it anyway.

·
Administrator
63,461 Posts
Kindle for PC definitely has its place.  But I don't want to sit at my computer to read, I like curling up with my book.  Different strokes!

Betsy

·
Registered
899 Posts
John F said:
the ability to search a book for a word or phrase. Reading Christopher Plummer's memoirs, I wanted to find what he had to say about a play I once saw him in. With the Kindle, I found the play's title instantly; in Kindle for PC, I'd have had to skim the whole book to find it, and I might have missed it anyway.
What version of K4PC are you using? In both the Win8 app and the older program version I've put on my Win8.1 PC if I ctrl+F a search window pops up.

·
Registered
12,722 Posts
I like Kindle for PC for cookbooks and picture intense books.  For reading,  ereader or tablet please.

·
Registered
131 Posts
readingril said:
What version of K4PC are you using? In both the Win8 app and the older program version I've put on my Win8.1 PC if I ctrl+F a search window pops up.
A hidden feature! Find/Search isn't on the menus or the toolbar, but yes, Ctrl-F does make Search available. Thanks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Kindel app for Android is the best thing yet. Now I really do have all my books with me all the time.

·
Registered
210 Posts
How do you see your notes on the Windows Kindle app? I have it on 8.1 and I can take notes, but I don't see where to read them. I really like the way notes work on the Kindle app on my iPad - much better interface than on my Paperwhite (but I haven't tried the Android app).

·
Super Moderator
67,245 Posts
I don't see how to make the notes, but I did play with one book (kindle app on Win8.1) and if I right clicked within the book, a banner came up at the bottom and 'notes/marks' was one of the icons. I clicked that and it took me to a page that would, presumably, display any notes or highlights I'd made.

·
Registered
776 Posts
I think Kindle for PC is great for work-related textbooks and research.  I use it often, especially with highly specialized reference books that are not in PDF or online.

·
Registered
4,238 Posts
Maggie Magpie said:
Kindel app for Android is the best thing yet. Now I really do have all my books with me all the time.
Wait :eek: ... they have that?

I want, let me go get. :p

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the Kindle app for tabs but the only issue I face is that I have to be connected to the internet if I want to browse the library. However, the book that I may have already opened remains saved on the tab.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Kindle App for PC is great for those of you who have those 2 in 1 pc laptops/tablets like the 10" Asus Ttam100 or a Surface. Pretty fun to read on a giant 10" screen every now and then which makes you feel like you have a giant hardcover book. 

·
Registered
17 Posts
As an author who writes and formats his books on his laptop, I like the PC app for previewing everything before I publish to Amazon. There's a separate app from Amazon that allows you to preview your book file as it would look on the various Kindle devices. I sometimes use that, but really, nothing beats the regular Kindle for PC app for previewing.

·
Super Moderator
67,245 Posts
I have the kindle app on all my devices . . . tablets, phone, laptop, desktop . . . . but I do 99.99% of my reading on my dedicated eInk kindle. The experience is just so superior.  I do read occasionally on my phone if that happens to be the only thing I have with me, but even that doesn't happen very often. I pretty much carry my Voyage everywhere I go. :)

·
Registered
980 Posts
I have the kindle app on all my devices as well, and the only device I read on besides my kindle is my phone. The only reason that happens is if it'll be a short enough time it isn't worth pulling the kindle out, or if for some strange reason I don't have my kindle on me (which is rare).

·
Registered
4,238 Posts
I like the cloud reader on PC but I also have a Kindle app on an old phone for when I want to read lying down or... doing other things.

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
I don't like it. As far as I'm concerned, it hasn't been designed for the PC properly.

It doesn't page correctly, and so you end up having to scroll as well as move sideways.

It should work the same as the online viewer, but it doesn't.

The other problem is that not everything can be displayed on it. If you send a book to your kindle via email, it will not download to your PC version, only to a kindle, ipad or android. So none of my own books are readable on the PC.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts