Kindle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While I love Kindle for its two main purposes --reading and looking sophisticated -- I've increasingly found myself using it for proofreading purposes. After uploading my works in PDF format, I catch way more errors on the easy-to-read screen than I could on the computer monitor. And since my eyes aren't enough, I also turn the text-to-speech on. That digital girl, the way she speaks, I think she's got the hots for me. What a babe! ;) Not to mention, it's an incredibly useful feature. It not only catches errors, but also helps me improve the rhythm and flow of words.

When I find a mistake, or something I want to change, I annotate it. After 200 or so annotations, I open the file on Word and get to work fixing things. I do have one question though: Is there a way to jump from annotation to annotation? Or do I have to continue with the way I'm currently doing it? -- i.e.  scroll, scroll, scroll, scroll, scroll,scroll, scroll, scroll...

·
Registered
982 Posts
Bryan R. Dennis said:
While I love Kindle for its two main purposes --reading and looking sophisticated -- I've increasingly found myself using it for proofreading purposes. After uploading my works in PDF format, I catch way more errors on the easy-to-read screen than I could on the computer monitor. And since my eyes aren't enough, I also turn the text-to-speech on. That digital girl, the way she speaks, I think she's got the hots for me. What a babe! ;) Not to mention, it's an incredibly useful feature. It not only catches errors, but also helps me improve the rhythm and flow of words.

When I find a mistake, or something I want to change, I annotate it. After 200 or so annotations, I open the file on Word and get to work fixing things. I do have one question though: Is there a way to jump from annotation to annotation? Or do I have to continue with the way I'm currently doing it? -- i.e. scroll, scroll, scroll, scroll, scroll,scroll, scroll, scroll...
I do the same thing, though I use the guy's voice because it isn't as emotionless as the girl's, in my opinion. I don't do it in PDF format though. I do it in mobi format, which is easy to do using Mobipocket creator.

I flip through the pages manually to find the errors, so I can't help you there.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Bryan R. Dennis said:

When I find a mistake, or something I want to change, I annotate it. After 200 or so annotations, I open the file on Word and get to work fixing things. I do have one question though: Is there a way to jump from annotation to annotation? Or do I have to continue with the way I'm currently doing it? -- i.e. scroll, scroll, scroll, scroll, scroll,scroll, scroll, scroll...
I use a text to voice reader to do my proofs. It's not on the kindle, but on my pc, and the intonation is considerably better. It's amazing how many errors I miss when I just read, but when I read along to some(thing)one narrating the story, however robotic, I find a lot more mistakes. And here I thought I was perfect! ;D

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think it would be great if Amazon offered apps for Kindle. A limited store featuring expansions to the device, like additional voices for TTS. I know there are superior TTS programs out there (I'll check out Panopreter), but I love the conveniance of the Kindle combined with the annotation feature for taking notes.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I have a cheap KOBO reader I got at steep discount at a closing Border's. It's cool because I use Calibre to create an e-pub file and then transfer it to the ready. Its great for proofreding.

I really should break down and get a Kindle for myself, as I'm sure books look diffrent on the Kindle. I have a hard time spending $$ on myself. I bought my mom a kindle for Mothers day..and don't have one myself yet.

·
Registered
982 Posts
T.J. Dotson said:
I have a cheap KOBO reader I got at steep discount at a closing Border's. It's cool because I use Calibre to create an e-pub file and then transfer it to the ready. Its great for proofreding.

I really should break down and get a Kindle for myself, as I'm sure books look diffrent on the Kindle. I have a hard time spending $$ on myself. I bought my mom a kindle for Mothers day..and don't have one myself yet.
Just convince yourself that it's a necessary business expenditure.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts