Kindle Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love reading online screenplays. Often, like books, they're even better than the movie that's made from them. I love the snappy dialogue, the generous white space, the economical use of words, and the strong action verbs. Do you think there would be a market for screenplays on Kindle? I'm sure there are a ton of solid screenplays out there that never make it to the big screen. And since they never make it, they don't get enjoyed ... and that's just sad.  :(

Has anyone ever tried selling a screenplay on Kindle? I ask not as a writer of screenplays (I write novels and short stories), but as an avid reader. I'd also like to hear any of your thoughts on the subject.

·
Registered
125 Posts
As a former screenwriter and current novel self-publisher, just the thought of formatting that makes me nauseous!

·
Registered
604 Posts
I agree with IndiaLeeBooks, the formatting would be really tough to do well,
especially since you'd have to go with the kindle's subset of html.  The invisible
html characters would probably end up outnumbering the characters that
actually showed on the screen.  It would be an interesting challenge for a
masochistically inclined kindle formatting expert to produce something that
looked like a printed screenplay.

·
Registered
6,565 Posts
I have a screenplay ("The Scenic Route" - note price is about to drop to 1.95 - so if you're interested in it, wait), and i know a few others who do, but names are not coming to mind right now.

I modified the format to be easier to read on a small handheld -- mainly handed the dialog like a stage play.  Kept everything left-justified.

Screenplays don't sell very well.  Most people find them a difficult read, anyway.  However, I do sell a trickle of copies, mainly from the excerpts I have on my blog.

Camille

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Interesting Camille. I'll have to drop by your blog and give it a look.

I know screenplays haven't sold well in the traditional publishing world for obvious reasons -- probably the most obvious being how skinny they are. They'd be invisible on a book shelf squeezed between Stephen King's anvils. But now that we're in the midst of an e-revolution, I'm hoping to see different formats that weren't viable before. I enjoy reading plays too. Works by Tennessee Williams would fit in nicely with the rest of my Kindle collection.

·
Registered
6,565 Posts
There are a lot of reasons, but I think the biggie is that only Hollywood people can get past the format, imho. And Hollywood folks know you can get most produced screenplays for free from sites like Drew's. Still, I agree, it's a whole new world, which is why I put the one screenplay out.

BTW if you wanted to find the excerpt on the blog, it's here, and the story notes for it are here.

Camille

·
Registered
950 Posts
As a screenplay writer, I really don't think screenplays would make much of a dent when it comes to sales. Generally speaking Kindle owners come to expect a certain format. And I'm not just referring to layout, I mean a format in storytelling (narration, exposition etc).

Having said that, my two best selling books started their life as screenplays. The snappy dialog and all of the best things are retained. But it's in the format that everyone has come to expect.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts