Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have daughters around 14 with a Kindle?
Are there enough books appropriate for their age available?

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
RB said:
Anyone have daughters around 14 with a Kindle?
Are there enough books appropriate for their age available?
One word: Twilight. ;D

As for what else 14 year old girls like, I'll leave that to the other experts on the board since (a) I'm a man, and (b) don't have a 14-year-old daughter, or any other kids for that matter. :)

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks...she's actually already read the whole twilight series, and loves them.
The biggest problem we have is she is an incredible reader, loves to read, and reads quickly.  Most of the books that are of any length, that would take her a little longer to read, are inappropriate for her age.. 
We keep trying though!!

·
Super Moderator
67,324 Posts
Find out what authors she's read and liked and go to this site: http://www.literature-map.com/ and type in the name. It'll return other authors that she might like based on the name you entered. It's pretty cool.

Ann

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Another suggestion: Introduce her to the classics. You can go to feedbooks.com through the Kindle and get a file that will allow you to download tons of classics straight from your Kindle - FREE!

More info and a vid here: http://feedbooks.com/help/kindle

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
For teens who are voracious readers, I believe the Kindle is a Godsend. I was a voracious reader and I would have loved to have Kindle if it existed 40 years ago. There are plenty of books to buy but like others have said, take advantage of the freebies. There is an incredible resource out there.

I bought Kindles for both my children, ages 20 and 17. The 17 yo has never been as hooked on reading as the rest of us, but the Kindle is actually making a difference. And she has taken advantage of a bunch of free stuff.

I highly recommend it.

L

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sounds like it may be a good Hanukkah gift...I guess I'll have to go for it!
I've been obsessed since I got mine, so it'll probably run in the family!

·
Registered
11,722 Posts
I plan on getting my 14 yr old a Kindle for Christmas. She loves to read fantasy books and we have found plenty that will keep her occupied. She's been using my Kindle when I work and has probably 2 pages of books already. We'll also be downloading tons and tons of books of the free websites.

It's very hard at this age when so many of the longer books are inappropriate

·
Super Moderator
67,324 Posts
luvmy4brats said:
It's very hard at this age when so many of the longer books are inappropriate
Well, there's "appropriate" and "appropriate". The important thing is to keep the lines of communication open so that if there's something in her reading that is somewhat mature she knows she can come to YOU with questions. Maybe you could pick some more grown up books (didn't want to say 'adult' as that is not exactly what I mean :) ) that you could read together. Have a mother/daughter book club.

Ann

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
Ann Von Hagel said:
Well, there's "appropriate" and "appropriate". The important thing is to keep the lines of communication open so that if there's something in her reading that is somewhat mature she knows she can come to YOU with questions. Maybe you could pick some more grown up books (didn't want to say 'adult' as that is not exactly what I mean :) ) that you could read together. Have a mother/daughter book club.

Ann
very well put Ann... when my mom let me "graduate" from young adult/teen books to grown up books, she had the ultimate say in which books I read, but she was always there to answer questions. That is the same way I handled books and movies with my kids and now I see my kids doing the same with theirs.

·
Super Moderator
67,324 Posts
Angela said:
very well put Ann... when my mom let me "graduate" from young adult/teen books to grown up books, she had the ultimate say in which books I read, but she was always there to answer questions. That is the same way I handled books and movies with my kids and now I see my kids doing the same with theirs.
Yeah. . .I don't remember ever being told I couldn't read a book I found around the house -- and there were a lot of books around our house; still are. There was probably a time or two that I was told something like, 'you might find it a bit much, try this first'. And my mother dragged me into the grown up section of the library in 7th or 8th grade. . .well, there wasn't much of any thing left I hadn't read in the 'children's' section anyway. She basically pointed me to books she'd read and thought I'd like. She knew the librarian wouldn't let me check out anything questionable anyway! :)

Ann

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
My mother and I both liked horror novels. She would buy them and we would both read them. I don't know what possessed her one day, but in one of the paperbacks she scratched out all the "dirty" words.  ??? She had never done such a thing before, nor did she ever do it again. I can't remember the book, but I was probably 10 or 12 at the time.

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
I know I've seen quite a few teen books for the Kindle.  (I still like to read them :))  You can check out the "Children's Chapter Books" section (really!) to browse for her favorites or things you think she's be interested in.  I also agree with one of the PPs who suggested introducing her to the classics.  She'll be having to read a lot of them in high school, anyway.

·
Registered
11,722 Posts
I often read a book and then pass it off to her. Right now, she's reading the Study series by Maria Snyder . I don't think I've ever told her she couldn't read a book, but there have been times I've just asked her to let me read it first.

She's the one who got upset with me when I let her younger sister read Twilight. She didn't think she was old enough (11)

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
I got a hold of my first ebook when I was twelve or thirdteen. It was from the library when I lived overseas. It had a touch screen and it was quite heavy (in comparison to my kindle). So I think a 14 year will be fine with a Kindle. As for teen reads:

Books by Amelia Atwater Rhodes (her first book "In the Forest of the Night" was published when she was 13-14. She is still writing YA books. Personal fave: Shattered Mirror).
Blood and Chocolate by Annette Clause (was a favorite of mine in early high school. Its nothing like the movie.)
The Hallows Series by Kim Harrison. (I started reading that series when I was 14-15)
The Princess Diaries Series and the All-American Girl series by Meg Cabot (read at age 12-13)
InkHeart

I can't think of any more right off the top of my mind. I was much in to the Star Wars series in my early teens. lol

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
I wish there was a version for even younger kids.  I have a 7 1/2 yr. old daughter who is a voracious  reader.  She reads constantly and would love one of these.  They make sturdy digital cameras, portable DVD players, etc. for kids, why not a Kindle? 

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have a 10 year old daughter who would love to have a kindle, but I'm waiting for the kindle 2.0 to come out and then I will give her mine.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
supermom said:
I have a 10 year old daughter who would love to have a kindle, but I'm waiting for the kindle 2.0 to come out and then I will give her mine.
That idea didn't occur to me! Thanks for planting the seed.............

1 - 20 of 23 Posts