Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When you buy through your amazon account the kindle is already supposed to be registered.  However mine is not.  I guess this is why it won't read the book files I have on my SD card already.  Not sure what I'm going to have to do in order to fix this.  I hope I don't have to send it stateside just to get it to connect to whispernet.

·
Premium Member
63,461 Posts
JackylKing,

you need to call Customer Support.  I believe there have been others with this problem and CS was able to help them.  Frustrating!

Betsy

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will when I get off work tonight.  I figured that I'd just be able to throw in my SD card and go.  It's only pulled off the screensavers though won't let me get to the books.  AAAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHH!!!!!

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Oh, Al, I feel your pain! To have it arrive and not be working....

Can you register it yourself? The serial number is on the box and also on the back, under the gray battery cover. Go to your Amazon account and choose the option to "Manage Your Kindle" which should bring up the screen to add a Kindle to your account. The serial number goes there.

Report back, please...

L

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
At Amazon it shows it as registered.  On the kindle it shows My Kindle insted of Al's Kindle.

AAAAARRRRGGGGHHH!!!!

I'll be calling CS tonight.

·
Registered
9,762 Posts
thejackylking said:
no WN in Germany
Yes, but I thought it might be worth a try since Sprint says that hot spots are connected to the US directly via fiber optics.

I live way out in the country and I connect to the internet via a wireless modem. The modem has a phone number and behaves just like a regular cell phone except that it sends and receives data instead of voice.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Vampyre said:
Hmm The card sees everything but denies you your books? That seems odd.
I know it's weird. I hit alt+shift+z to create a new book and up popped screensavers. Worked like a charm. Just won't pull up any books on the content manager. *shrug* what are you going to do? :'(

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Betsy the Quilter said:
Have you tried moving a book from the SD card onto the Kindle itself? Just as a test since nothing else is working?

Betsy
doesn't give me the option. when I go to show only sd card it doesn't show anything at all. When I get home I'll hook up the USB and see what I can do. Then call up CS and be really frustrated. :-X

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
I am wondering....

People have said that the first time they put the SD card in their Kindle, it gets formatted with the different folders: documents, audible, system. If you were putting books on the SD card before you received your Kindle, they may very well not be in the right location. They might be in the root directory and need to be transferred to the documents folder. You don't have the USB cable with you right now to hook up to your computer and look at the directory on the Kindle?

L

·
Registered
9,762 Posts
thejackylking said:
doesn't give me the option. when I go to show only sd card it doesn't show anything at all. When I get home I'll hook up the USB and see what I can do. Then call up CS and be really frustrated. :-X
I was testing my books on my wife's Kindle before I registered it by copying PRC files from my computer to the Kindle. It worked just perfectly.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
that could be it.  I'm at work right now.  I left the USB cord at home.  I just ran home and grabbed my sd cord when I got it.  I live on base and I just swooped in real quick didn't think I would need it. ::)

·
Premium Member
63,461 Posts
Leslie said:
I am wondering....

People have said that the first time they put the SD card in their Kindle, it gets formatted with the different folders: documents, audible, system. If you were putting books on the SD card before you received your Kindle, they may very well not be in the right location. They might be in the root directory and need to be transferred to the documents folder. You don't have the USB cable with you right now to hook up to your computer and look at the directory on the Kindle?

L
Leslie, you are so good! That's a great idea. Learning something from you every day....

Betsy

G

·
If the books were downloaded from a different Kindle they wont work either unless its from s Kindle on the same account.(big if there)

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
new kindle mostly free books w/ no DRM.  I guarantee Lesli is correct though.  just have to wait another 2 hrs before I can find out.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts