Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
12,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Igor Skochinsky has reverse engineered some hidden Kindle features. Among of those: a screenshot grabber, clock, fonts list, a picture viewer, Minesweeper game, and diagnostic commands.

And, intriguingly... some internal code that seems designed to unlock some location capability in Kindle - to show current location in google maps, find nearby restaurants, etc.

From this internal code, it seems that Amazon has some wide-ranging future plans for Kindle.

http://igorsk.blogspot.com/2007/12/hacking-kindle-part-3-root-shell-and.html

Keyboard shortcuts

Various undocumented/underdocumented keyboard shortcuts. I italicized most interesting ones.

Global keys

Alt-Shift-R reboot Kindle
Alt-Shift-. restart GUI
Alt-Shift-G make screenshot
due to an implementation bug, screenshots can only be stored on SD card, not the main storage. A gif file is saved in the card root.
Shift-Sym start demo
Enabled only if allow_demo=true is passed on the Java commandline. Needs a special demo script present on the SD card.

Home

Alt-Shift-M Minesweeper
Alt-Z rescan picture directories
Alt-T show time

Reader

Alt-B toggle bookmark
Alt-T spell out time
Alt-0 enable/disable slideshow
Alt-1 start slideshow (if enabled)
Alt-2 stop slidehow
Alt-PageForward/PageBackward go to next/prev annotation or one "chunk" (1/20th of a book) forward or backward

Settings

411 show diagnostics data
511 run loopback call test
611 diagnostic data service call
c/e/s
126 Lab126 team members

Font List

J show/hide justification options

Picture viewer

Alt-Shift-0 set current picture as screensaver
F toggle fullscreen mode

Minesweeper

I,J,K,L up,left,down,right
M mark mine
R restart
Space open cell
Scroll move cursor up/down
Alt-Scroll move cursor left/right
H return to Home screen

Text input

Alt-Backspace clear all
Alt-H/Alt-J move cursor
(the following don't work in search field for some reason)
Alt-6 ?
Alt-7 ,
Alt-8 :
Alt-9 "
Alt-0 '

Browser

It seems there is a location capability (GPS?) in the CDMA module. I cannot check it as I'm not in USA but the following shortcuts are programmed inside the browser.
Alt-1 show current location in google maps
Alt-2 find gas station nearby
Alt-3 find restaurants nearby
Alt-4
Alt-5 find custom keyword nearby
Alt-D dump debug info to the log and toggle highlight default item
Alt-Z toggle zone drawing and show log

Audio Player

Alt-F next
Alt-P play/stop

·
Registered
11 Posts
Wow, those sure sound intriguing. There are so many more things to Kindle than just an electronic book. Soon, I'll have a Kindle-phone.  :p

·
Registered
78 Posts
People are so quick to hack and discover. No one likes what is handed to them!

·
Registered
154 Posts
Wow, GPS?  That does sound intriguing.  If you're still here, thanks for posting.  Off to play with Kindle browsing . . .

Update:  Alt 1 from the Kindle Web Browser takes me to Google Maps, but doesn't find my position.  The others also take you to the Google Map subset specified (i.e., Restaurants, etc), but so far none of them have your location.

You can then enter your location and find the various items, though.  But, this is definitely still under construction.

·
Registered
5,087 Posts
Celeste said:
People are so quick to hack and discover. No one likes what is handed to them!
I think it's more just curiosity. It's a rare device-electrical or mechanical-that survives more than a month or so at my house without being taken apart or at least opened to see what's inside.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I admit I would trade all of this for some DECENT FOLDERS! :)  I have stopped downloading much anymore.. I have 36 pages of various.. well ...stuff

·
Registered
731 Posts
Avalon...

My Kindle shows me where I'm at once. After that, I could be hundreds of miles from there and it still shows the same location. (If you reboot it then it finds your current location the next time it's asked). I don't know why that is.

??? ??? ???  I've found that it's an excellent ebook reader though.

·
Super Moderator
67,324 Posts
O.K.  36 pages clearly means you have a problem!  :)

Here's an excerpt from the e-mail I sent to amazon re: the Kindle.  Just for information.  The reply I got actually seemed to indicate that they'd read it and maybe even thought the ideas about the screensavers wasn't bad.  We'll see what happens.

Excerpt begins:
I had an idea about screen-savers.  A comment I've seen on the various chat boards is that people would like to be able to have the front or back cover art.  Many books do have a cover image as part of their file.  Would it be possible to tie those images to the books for the screen saver?  For instance, if I'm reading book A, and put the Kindle to sleep, the screen saver picture to come up would be that book's cover.  When I get back to it, I'm instantly reminded of what I was reading much the way I am when I pick up a paper book I'm reading. The random selection of pictures would come up if the Kindle was put to sleep from the home page, or from a newspaper or something that didn't have a dedicated cover image.

Another complaint (really too strong a word but I don't know what else to use) I've heard is that although the title is shown on the home screen, sometimes a person wants to see the covers to remind yourself of what the books are about when it's time to choose the next thing you're going to read.  To answer that, would it be possible that the home screen list might look more like the Kindle Store page when showing a list of books:  a thumbnail of the cover with the name and title and/or perhaps a sentence describing the genre or some other identifying info.  As sorting is available now this would produce probably way to many home screen pages but with a folder option it might be more practical.

Related to both the above thoughts, it would be ideal to have a 'synopsis' button that provided an instant link to the cover/jacket blurb on a book selected on the home screen or open on the Kindle.  Maybe one of the options from the menu when a book is open.  Sometimes, even when I'm a ways into a book, especially if it's been a while since I've had a chance to read on it, I'll frequently look at the blurb to remind myself what's what.

For the record, I don't care about color, though more shades of gray would make the images sharper.  I don't mind the white color of the physical machine but black or gray would maybe look snappier.  On the other hand, I would not want to pay more for other colors, like you have to with refrigerators!  The scroll wheel is way cool -- don't change it!  I would suggest a somewhat smaller 'next page' button on the right which would leave room for a 'previous page' button there as well, with perhaps a space between them so folks don't need to worry about where to grasp the machine to avoid page turns.

I guess the only other little quibble I have is that the hole for a hard reset should be more accessible.  And, on that topic, there are some folks who like to change out their SD cards and greater accessibility to that would be better for them.  For me it's moot at this point.

Excerpt Ended.

I included a request for a customizable folder system as well.

Thoughts on my thoughts?  (Be kind)

Ann

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
I did get some of them to work...looks like there is room for lots of growth ahead.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Patrizia said:
I admit I would trade all of this for some DECENT FOLDERS! :) I have stopped downloading much anymore.. I have 36 pages of various.. well ...stuff
I need folders too. I have 40 pages of various... stuff too. LOL

·
Registered
268 Posts
Angela said:
Has anyone tried the Minesweeper?
Not gonna lie, I'm actually quite excited about Minesweeper. I LOVE that game. Can somebody try it out so I can hear how it is?

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
Angela said:
Has anyone tried the Minesweeper?
Yep. I played one game. It is slow and the user interface is a pain. As you use the keys to move around the board, the screen flashes now and again. I'll stick to my Nintendo DS and my iPhone for games.

·
Registered
268 Posts
darn. that's kind of depressing. Then again, I could really care less what the Kindle can/cannot do when its primarily functioning as a book reader. And as long as it does that well, (and I hear it does!) I can't possibly complain.

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
Kimblee said:
darn. that's kind of depressing. Then again, I could really care less what the Kindle can/cannot do when its primarily functioning as a book reader. And as long as it does that well, (and I hear it does!) I can't possibly complain.
I am with you Kimblee. I have my computer and Wii for games. That was not the reason for the Kindle purchase!

G

·
You forgot about that other game on the Kindle. Visit Kindle Store You look at books, one click and they magically appear on you Home page.

·
Registered
68 Posts
LuckyRainbow said:
You forgot about that other game on the Kindle. Visit Kindle Store You look at books, one click and they magically appear on you Home page.
True! (But an expensive game you have to pay to play!) ;)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts