Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got this email from Amazon this morning:
Dear Customers,

Our customers have told us that they love being able to add highlights and notes to their Kindle books. We want to make it possible for you to access your highlights and notes directly from a Web browser too. So we've released http://kindle.amazon.com, an online tool that enables you to do just that.

To try it out, go to http://kindle.amazon.com, sign in with your Amazon account, and simply select one of your books where you have added highlights or notes.

We hope you enjoy this new feature.

The Amazon Kindle Team

YAY!!
I read a lot of nonfiction and do a lot of highlighting. Sometimes, in a DTB, I like to just look over the highlighted portions of the text. It was possible to do that on the Kindle, but very, very messy. This is soo much easier!

Now, if they'd just give us folders.......

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Amazon did a nice job with this and it looks like there may be room for additional features.

·
Registered
17 Posts
The highlights are fine but the notes are a little bit disturbing. One of the books that I read had places where personal questions were asked dealing with life choices, etc. I had used the notes capability to store some of my answers. Now those answers are sitting on amazon's web site with the highlighted sections.

Just be careful what you put in notes, folks.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
I haven't looked but would think this is definitely so if one is sharing an account with someone else.....

·
Registered
21 Posts

·
Registered
3,141 Posts
I also saw this news on the kindlekorner group, but I didn't get an email.  It does look interesting, but the site still seems a little rough around the edges.  For example, as I was paging through my purchases, I saw some books pop up multiple times.  Also, they didn't seem to be in any logical order, which would limit its usefulness (to me, anyway).  I'm wondering if there are features in the works that will distinguish this site from "Your Media Library" on amazon.com, which I can filter to show only Kindle books.

·
Registered
615 Posts
cksample said:
HedgeHog, the notes aren't publicly viewable. You have to login to your account to view them, so it's still safe.
I wrote about this here: http://www.obsessable.com/news/2009/05/26/amazon-launches-online-viewing-of-notes-and-highlights-via-amazonkindle-portal/
cksample,

Nice use of the image of a typical page without making it readable, as they have some rather tight restrictions in their Conditions of Use page. I wrote about it a bit at
- http://kindleworld.blogspot.com/2009/05/your-kindle-highlights-and-notes-on.html

·
Registered
615 Posts
So far, I love the feature.  I highlight because I want to identify quickly the parts that are unusually interesting to me that I want to mention to others, and certainly students will find this very useful for their classes. 

The written permission from Amazon to reproduce them is likely quite tight but they offer an address for that.

For those now wary about what they highlight or note in an Amazon-purchased Kindle book, I guess you could always have wireless-off while working on the book and then transfer the associated notes/highlighting/status file to your computer and move it back when you need to work with it, again with wireless off.  Not a pleasant thought.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I'm glad to see this works with the K1 as well as the K2. I also like how you can rate books quickly on these pages.

I don't take as many notes as I want to. This may be a nice added feature to make viewing notes a little easier. :)

I would guess this is something that is being prepared more for the DX and college students highlighting and taking notes.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Xopher said:
I'm glad to see this works with the K1 as well as the K2. I also like how you can rate books quickly on these pages.

I don't take as many notes as I want to. This may be a nice added feature to make viewing notes a little easier. :)

I would guess this is something that is being prepared more for the DX and college students highlighting and taking notes.
Yes. But they made it for us too, or you can imagine the backlash :)

The DX has a MUCH nicer keyboard, but steady use of my K2 keyboard, such as it is, has
really up'd my speed. To a point.

I have a general food shopping list so I never forget anything anymore.

- A

·
Registered
17 Posts
ck - I did take note of the login to get to your "personal notes/highlights" page. Was just more surprised to see my notes posted on my page.

My message was more a warning to others that might be storing more personal info on their Kindles. I read elsewhere of a guy whom was storing passwords, etc. inside notes of one of his eBooks. Kind of the new "hollow out the book" safe idea.

Although the page is password-protected, I'm sure that there is probably admin access, etc. to those regions "just in case" a problem is detected.

·
Registered
615 Posts
HedgeHog said:
Although the page is password-protected, I'm sure that there is probably admin access, etc. to those regions "just in case" a problem is detected.
You're right. If they're ahead of the game, though, the password is encrypted and you have to make a new one if you can't remember because no one can read it.

OKAY, I found out by trial and error that it works as an Excel sheet does.

It is sortable by TITLE-column. Very nice !

·
Registered
761 Posts
I think this is an interesting new 'tool' and while I might not find it as useful as others, I'm encouraged to Amazon trying out some ideas and listening to customers. I'm not sure who requested this feature over some others, but regardless, I like the fact that they're thinking about applying tools to some of the more unique feature sets the Kindle offers. It reminds me of google labs in away. Who knows, maybe we'll see @kindle email addresses sometime in the future? (Longest load time EVER!)

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
I didn't see a post on this already so I'll jump in:
http://kindle.amazon.com/

"Welcome to AmazonKindle!
Our customers have told us that they love being able to add highlights and notes to their Kindle books, and now we've made it possible for you to access your highlights and notes here at AmazonKindle.
To view your highlights and notes from your browser, sign in with your Amazon account, and select one of your books where you've added highlights or notes. "

As cool as that is.....how come they can do that and they can't do Folders?!

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Got this email from Amazon this morning:

Dear Amazon.com Customer,
Our customers have told us that they love being able to add highlights and notes to their Kindle books. We want to make it possible for you to access your highlights and notes directly from a Web browser too. So we've released http://kindle.amazon.com, an online tool that enables you to do just that.

To try it out, go to http://kindle.amazon.com, sign in with your Amazon account, and simply select one of your books where you have added highlights or notes.

We hope you enjoy this new feature. If you have feedback please send it to us at [email protected]

The Amazon Kindle Team

I'll have to try it out!

·
Registered
400 Posts
I read about the site the other day and checked it out. I just got the email about it today :). Anyway, it seems to work as advertised... the thing that bums me out is there is no access to notes or highlights from personal documents, only from things aquired via amazon. So that kind of sucks. Otherwise I really like it!

·
Registered
13,767 Posts
Many of you probably got the email announcing the synchronization of the facility to view your highlights and notes on-line through your browser. For me this is a boon! And I didn't need to do anything to acquire the feature (I'm a Kindle 1 owner). All I did was go to http://kindle.amazon.com , sign in and voila.

What do you think about this new feature?

Edward C. Patterson

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.