Kindle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We're leaving on Friday to fly to Tahiti for a cruise on the m/s Paul Gauguin.  Anyone here done that with a Kindle?  They say the staterooms have 115V(??) and 220V outlets, plus I have a Belkin surge protector/USB-hub charger.

I'd love to hear people's experiences.

Sharyn

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi. The Paul Gauguin is a beautiful ship.  I haven't used a Kindle in Tahiti yet, but the ship outlets work with American appliances so you won't have any trouble charging it.

Tahiti is the most beautiful place on earth.  My husband and I have been many times.  Moorea and Bora Bora are our favorite islands in French Polynesia.

Have a great trip!

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
Sharyn - no words of wisdom for you other than to ask you to tell us your experience with a kindle on a cruise!

Hope you have a terrific time, and we do have a thread for pictures if you want to share  :D

·
Premium Member
63,461 Posts
Ohhhhh I'm so jealous, can't get my husband to take a cruise. :mad:

Load your Kindle up with enough reading to get through the trip, lots of good reading on a ship (we have taken ferries).

Have a great trip! Tell us all about it when we get back! We want pictures!

Betsy

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, everyone! Betsy, I have **30** pages of titles on my Kindle -- no worries about bringing enough to read!<VBG>

We'll be visiting Papeete, Raiatea, Tahaa, Bora Bora, Moorea, and back to Papeete. With lots of shore excursions already booked.

The reason I bought my Kindle in the first place was so I didn't have to carry a whole suitcase of books with me everywhere I went. Between the Kindle and my Dell Mini, I'm good to go!

Will definitely share pictures when I return. I use Picasa to organize my pictures and upload web albums. And highly recommend it...it's free. Just google it.

Sharyn

·
Registered
626 Posts
Back in February of '08 my K1 and I went around Cape Horn on Insignia. Out of 680 passengers there were two of us who were Kindled.  I charged it every night and had no problems. Bringing 14 books with me eased my worries (I get uptight if I have less than 3 to choose from) to say nothing of weight in my luggage.
It really made a big difference on the long flights and since no one knew what it was (cover was always on) I was never questioned by customs or the flight staff.
Definitely one of the best traveling companions you will have.
Have a great trip.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
It shouldn't be a problem! Also, enjoy your trip and make sure to post pictures once you are back!  :D

·
Registered
364 Posts
Wow you lucky,I would love to go on a cruise, I hope you have a great time. Just bring back so great pic to share with us. ;D

Jodi

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks, everyone!  I love traveling with my Kindle!

Will definitely take lots of pictures and post the link here when I get back.

I'll have my Dell Mini with me, but don't know how much I'll actually be online. ;)

Sharyn

·
Registered
130 Posts
sharyn said:
Thanks, everyone! I love traveling with my Kindle!

Will definitely take lots of pictures and post the link here when I get back.

I'll have my Dell Mini with me, but don't know how much I'll actually be online. ;)
Sharyn, with the sublime combination of French Polynesia and the exquisite Paul Gauguin, don't count on any time you'd like to be online. Too many other wonderous things to see and do, both on and off the ship!

You're going on my favorite ship in the world, in one of my favorite places, and as a cruise agent, that's saying a lot. I don't need to tell you to enjoy, as it's guaranteed (and redundant).

·
Registered
426 Posts
BurBunny said:
Sharyn, with the sublime combination of French Polynesia and the exquisite Paul Gauguin, don't count on any time you'd like to be online. Too many other wonderous things to see and do, both on and off the ship!
That's what I was thinking. I've traveled many places and IMO French Polynesia is the most beautiful place on earth. Kindle? Yes, if for no other reason than the flight there is very long. Online? No way. There is nothing online that trumps Tahiti.

·
Registered
460 Posts
My parents have been to Tahiti and had a great time, and I'm sure you will as well. As others have said, I don't think you'll have trouble charging the Kindle.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks, all! I'm getting ready...usually I don't pack until the night before I leave, but there's too much going on this trip to leave anything to chance. Two days clothes for traveling there (plus keeping the toiletries easily available in the checked luggage), seven days on the ship (needing day/swim and night clothes), and two days clothes for traveling home. Plus Kindle, iPod, Mini, camera and all the chargers!

Good thing I no longer need a suitcase just to hold books!<G>

Sharyn

1 - 14 of 14 Posts