Kindle Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,456 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
GamersWithJobs has the best hands-on review of the Kindle I've seen.

Who would have thought Kindle can make reading a novel (or mag or blog) on the treadmill easier?!!

Excerpt:

Day 5 AM: The Gym Test. My mom picks me up. Yes, my mom is my gym partner. Instead of my usual random magazine, I put the Kindle on the treadmill rack. Again, I'm delighted to be able to read a book without holding it. It's pretty much impossible for me to hold open a book on the treadmill normally. I'm just not coordinated enough. But lying flat in front of me, I can sweat like crazy and just tap the page once in a while.

Inspired, I crank the typeface all the way up and try actually running. Oh Joy oh Rapture Unforeseen! Yes, I can actually read a book at a full out run. I lose 20 minutes to Larry Niven's new tale of known space with my heart rate over 150. Simply impossible with a paperback, and it fills me with delight.
LINK

·
Registered
78 Posts
Amazon could really push this idea when it comes to selling Kindle. Of all the 'fortold' features of Kindle, this one sparked my interest the most.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Well Stacy, maybe it will encourage avid readers to become avid gym goers.
And encourage gym goers to read; I'm sure that wouldn't be a bad idea! Ha ha.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I'm going to copyright a Kindle case that is like a baby harness to your front. Then we can all run without fear.
Because I know that we are all avid runners, right? ha ha.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I plop mine on the elliptical, set resistance on 10 or so, pound away, and for 40 minutes hardly know I'm exercising.  The Kindle has turned what can be agony into something I really really look forward to.

OT:  Didja ever notice the last five minutes of an exercise routine are the hardest?  I told my wife the other day that even if I programmed a five minute routine the last five minutes would still be the hardest.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
I hadn't tried this yet, I'm glad to hear that it works so well!  I usually just watch tv while walking on the treadmill or elliptical - but I'm definitely not a gym goer.  I have them at home, but I'll try this out this weekend!! 

·
Registered
195 Posts
Here's how fixated I am with my Kindle:

I was reading something on my computer (not my Kindle) the other day, about the wonders of the inner ear, and how it allows humans to keep the world in focus while they are running. So even though your head is bobbing up and down, you are able to keep the world around you in focus and level.

And I immediately found myself thinking, "Ah, yes. Like when I'm on the treadmill, and I'm reading my Kindle! Even though I'm moving, I can still read!"

·
Registered
205 Posts
i got to the gym 5-6 days a week, and i see TONS of people reading while on the cardio machines.  My gym even provides these acrylic thingies that hang on the equipment that has a lip to hold the book open.  I prefer to concentrate on my workout or just tune out to music.  Plus, I'm really really clumsy - I've got a huge dent on my Sigg bottle from dropping it on the elliptical.  I'd cry if I did that to my Kindle.

·
Premium Member
63,459 Posts
I don't belong to a gym but I am doing therapy for a knee injury, plus (when I could) I walked and I prefer audiobooks on my iPod for both.  I have a lanyard/earphone combo I bought from the Apple store that lets it hang around my neck.

Betsy

·
Registered
195 Posts
Oh, I've the "Couch to 5K" on my iPod! But I haven't started it -- I got it, and then hurt my back, so I'm still recovering.

As for using the Kindle while exercising . . . we have an exercise room, and I used to watch TV while I worked out. Now I prop my Kindle up on the treadmill (mine has a platform for a book to sit on), and I read while I walk. It's great! I just kick up the font one size, and I'm so absorbed in my reading that the time just flies by.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Khabita said:
Oh, I've the "Couch to 5K" on my iPod! But I haven't started it -- I got it, and then hurt my back, so I'm still recovering.

As for using the Kindle while exercising . . . we have an exercise room, and I used to watch TV while I worked out. Now I prop my Kindle up on the treadmill (mine has a platform for a book to sit on), and I read while I walk. It's great! I just kick up the font one size, and I'm so absorbed in my reading that the time just flies by.
The program I found I just printed off the internet (www.coolrunning.com). You have an actual program you downloaded for your iPod? Please share where you got it!!!
My treadmill also has a ledge for the Kindle. I've tried propping other books up there before - everything from small paperbacks to big textbooks - and it is almost impossible. I've rigged them up with binder clips and so forth to keep them open - but inevitably they begin to close and it's useless. Not so with the Kindle!!!

·
Registered
81 Posts
In the Army we are tested in our physical fitness in three events: pushups, situps, 2 mile run.

I have been told time and again that in order to improve in those events you just have to do them over and over. Usually, when I work out those are the only things I do. None of them are very good for kindling. :'(

1 - 19 of 19 Posts