Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
I also enjoyed this article, but was WAY put off by the thought that the storage was fine because: You can store 1,500 books, more than most people read in a lifetime. That just put me off.

http://www.fastcompany.com/blog/chuck-salter/dash-salt/kindle-2-first-reading-and-impressions
---------------------
Okay, so does everything have to look like an iPod now to be successful?
And why is everyone freaked out about the price when iPods are over $200 and the iPhone even more?

·
Registered
788 Posts
Jesslyn said:
Why is everyone freaked out about the price when iPods are over $200 and the iPhone even more?
A. People are cheap and it's a bad economy.

B. (And this is the big one) the people complaining about the price are not the target audience. They'll pay 359.99 for a Playstation 3 that doesn't even play PS2 games, but balk at paying it for a device that reads books. Because they don't read.

·
Registered
5,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
People see the IPhone and ITouch as being more then just a phone or being more then just a MP3 player. They are deemed cool and necessary because they have multiple purposes. And the reality is more people use phones and play video games and face book then read. People still can't seem to get their heads around the fact that a e-book reader would cost $360. They don't get that you can save the cost of the device in under a year by buying cheaper books and downloading free books.

I think it comes down to people don't understand those who read a great deal and think that we are a strange niche market.

·
Registered
5,981 Posts

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Most people don't read 1500 books in their lifetime?

They mean non-readers, right?  Or have I just lost perspective?  And does "required reading" count as "Actual reading"?  I mean, I never thought so.  I ended up winging it on most of my high school required reading.  Sadly, I had teachers who never knew the difference.

·
Registered
5,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I guess it is how you read it. He has a little paragraph endorsing it but his bullet points are all negative. If you don't read the entire article and only focus on the things in bold, would you buy a Kindle?

When you do read it, he says that it is too expensive, it lacks color, the joy stick is bad (and so was the scroll wheel), it doesn't tell you what it is doing, it's too slow, it's too fragile, and it doesn't have a touch screen.

The only areas that he is positive on is that reading on the Kindle is better then reading on an IPod, it is easier to carry books on the Kindle, and that he is fine with a gadet that does one thing.

Then he ends with two lines saying that you want a Kindle. It is an honest review but I read it as more negative then positive.

·
Registered
5,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
robin.goodfellow said:

They mean non-readers, right? Or have I just lost perspective? And does "required reading" count as "Actual reading"? I mean, I never thought so. I ended up winging it on most of my high school required reading. Sadly, I had teachers who never knew the difference.
I am with you. I have a sneaking suspicion that I have read more then 1500 books already. Never mind magazines, journal articles, and newspapers.

Then again, the library folks were excited because the number of people who read one fiction work a year rose to 52% this year. Which means that 48% of the adults in the country didn't read one fiction work a year. Which is kind of pathetic.

·
Registered
5 Posts
robin.goodfellow said:

They mean non-readers, right? Or have I just lost perspective? And does "required reading" count as "Actual reading"? I mean, I never thought so. I ended up winging it on most of my high school required reading. Sadly, I had teachers who never knew the difference.
I know for a fact that I read more than 1500 books before I graduated from Elementary school. But then again, I've always been a book nerd.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Then again, the library folks were excited because the number of people who read one fiction worker a year rose to 52% this year. Which means that 48% of the adults in the country didn't read one fiction work a year. Which is kind of pathetic.
Okay, that's frightening. On the other hand, it explains a WHOLE lot about the people around me. I'm keeping a spreadsheet of books that I own (I know: obsessive much?), but it's only got current books on it. I didn't include books that I had traded away, or sold, or loaned out and never saw again. But I have to think I've read more than 1500 books in my lifetime. I mean, today that comes out to 44 books a year. Which doesn't seem unreasonable to me.

·
Registered
5,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
robin.goodfellow said:
Okay, that's frightening. On the other hand, it explains a WHOLE lot about the people around me. I'm keeping a spreadsheet of books that I own (I know: obsessive much?), but it's only got current books on it. I didn't include books that I had traded away, or sold, or loaned out and never saw again. But I have to think I've read more than 1500 books in my lifetime. I mean, today that comes out to 44 books a year. Which doesn't seem unreasonable to me.
Agreed. I think I can safely say I read at least 30 books a year if not more. I have had years were I read less (right after finishing graduate school) but not too many.

Clearly we are weird. And that is a great thing.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Yikes, so much reading to do! Articles are popping all over the place.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
ProfCrash said:
Agreed. I think I can safely say I read at least 30 books a year if not more. I have had years were I read less (right after finishing graduate school) but not too many.

Clearly we are weird. And that is a great thing.
I'm in trouble, since I got my Kindle I have been averaging over 20 a month.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts