Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a confirmed Kindleholic, I have read tons of articles, commentaries, and boards on the Kindle (you guys are bar none, the best community out there) and the prevailing opinion is "...never use it in the tub".

I am just not sure I can agree. I had my KK shortly after it was released and have my beloved K2. I have never hesitated to use it in the tub. Reading in the tub is one of my all time favorite activities after a stressful day at work. I am obviously careful, but in my 35 years I have only dropped a book in the tub 2 times. I agree that dropping my K2 in the tub would be very tragic but so would dropping it in a puddle, or getting hit by a car. But it is not going to stop me from doing things that may generate those risks. I have thought about doing the ziplock thing but so far I have continued to live life on the edge with my Kindle and the tub. I have a gathering of my dog on the floor and my 2 cats on the lip of the tub and they are just as careful with the Kindle as I am and nary a splash has ever marred its soon to be skinned surface.

So, basically, what do you guys think? Anyone else living their Kindle life on the edge  ;)

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Harvey said:
We have a Photo Gallery board for this kind of topic. (Kidding!)

You don't find the Kindle gets slippery to hold when your hands are wet?
ROFL that would be a very popular or very empty gallery :)

My hands are not wet when I am holding the Kindle because I am soaking after a quick shower, plus I have small hand towel just in case :)

·
Registered
366 Posts
I read in the tub as well.  I just use it like I do every other time I read it.  Obviously I keep my hands out of the water while reading so no it doesn't get slippery.  When I'm ready to "clean up" I put the K on the sink near the tub and clean up and rinse off.  Then I thoroughly dry off before I pick up the K and leave the bathroom.  Life on the edge I guess.  Although the wife does constantly tell me "no reading the kindle in the tub" so I guess I'm living on the edge 2 different ways.  ;)

·
Registered
9,481 Posts
Rhiathame (member 2790) said:
My hands are not wet when I am holding the Kindle because I am soaking after a quick shower, plus I have small hand towel just in case :)
Exactly! I read with my Kindle in the whirlpool tub at least once a week. Maybe I live on the edge a little less than you do because I do use a ziploc bag. My evil but loveable cat Yoda knocked the Kindle into the tub from the edge one time and while I did rescue him very quickly there was no moisture in the bag at all. Soaking in the whirlpool with a good kindlebook and a glass of wine is one of my favorite things to do!

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
I do read in the tub, but I did also buy one of the Kwik Tek Dry Packs for mine. The plastic is optically clear, much more so than a ziploc, and it's heavy vinyl so it doesn't wrinkle as much as a baggie.

Frankly, $13 was cheap insurance as far as I'm concerned. :) I've only dropped about 2 books in the water as well, but it would be just my luck to drop the Kindle.

I think people who vehemently fuss over the idea of reading the Kindle in the tub just aren't bath people. It seriously never would have occurred to me NOT to read it there when a small sensible precaution makes it as safe as reading anywhere else?

·
Registered
208 Posts
I don't kindle in the tub, but plan on living life on the edge.

I live on the coast and I plan to take my kindle out on the boat, the beach and by the pool.  I'm a little more cautious than you because I have a dry pack for it.  We use the dry packs for cameras and cell phones in the boat, so we already had one.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
VictoriaP said:
I think people who vehemently fuss over the idea of reading the Kindle in the tub just aren't bath people. It seriously never would have occurred to me NOT to read it there when a small sensible precaution makes it as safe as reading anywhere else?
I agree! The thought never occurred to me to not until I saw all these articles about not doing it. For me there was never really a question about doing it (I am not really one to conform :) ) but I was curious about what other thought.

·
Premium Member
63,459 Posts
I've got my drypac for tub reading and any other time when there might be water or rain, same one as shown elsewhere in the thread.  I would only use a ziploc bag if I changed it periodically.  I can assure you, from using one as an ice pack during my knee therapy, that they start leaking with use.

Betsy

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
99.9% of the homes here do not have tubs, some of the newer gringo houses have hot tubs, but not ours.  I wish I could read in the tub, did in my other life and never dropped a book, but there is always a first time.  Maybe I need to get one of those water proof thingies in case I get invited to a hot tub party, but then I'd probably be rude if I read  :D

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
cheshirenc said:
I don't kindle in the tub, but plan on living life on the edge.
I live on the coast and I plan to take my kindle out on the boat, the beach and by the pool.
I do the same with my Kindle. But I am not posting on this, I am posting on:

I LOVE YOUR AVATAR!!! Jolly Roger!!!

-sailor

·
Registered
9,481 Posts
VictoriaP and Betsy - Thanks for the Dry Pac review, I think your right about them being pretty cheap insurance.  As often as I read in the tub, I will be ordering one.  Guess I am not quite as ready to live on the edge as I thought!

·
Registered
59 Posts
I read my Kindle in the tub, but do use the ziploc freezer bag. (I had my Ipod touch take a dunk once, don't want to chance it!) I was surprised that I did not even realize it was there - very clear. I have a tub rack that holds the Kindle perfectly, works much better than with a real book.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I try and avoid having my expensive electronics around water, but hey, whatever works. :) To be honest, I'm not much of a bath person anyway, just shower, so it doesn't make too much difference to me.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts