Kindle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
615 Posts
This one actually mentions first and foremost, the always-available access to the Net wherever you are and at any time (unless you're in some remote area).

And even Jeff Bezos didn't say that -- something people would understand.

Instead, he said it had a really good radio modem.  The implications of that will be understood by about 1% of those who hear it.

That kind of always available and free access is worth $40 to $60++ a month on phones that access the Net.  That's why the $359 for the unit.   And the Sonys don't have that.  At best they will have WiFi which means one has to find a Hotspot somewhere and hope that it's free.

On almost every single column I've read, they never point to this 24/7 wireless access.  Pogue did in the NYTimes article today, but it was still a bit subtle.  And he forgot it when talking about the price.

Since I am a web-browsing fool, it is used often by me, especially when out of the house.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Sure hope this "experimental" feature of the Kindle continues! One more reason to love my Kindle!!!

·
Registered
335 Posts
You beat me to it!  I was just on my way to post this here!

I love XKCD, read it every day.

·
Registered
289 Posts
artsandhistoryfan said:
On almost every single column I've read, they never point to this 24/7 wireless access.
You know, I was intially wondering why Jeff Bezos and the media didn't hype up the round-the-clock internet access. But I've come to the conclusion that it's probably best that they DON'T.

Think about it this way...if they heavily tout the device's free internet access, they'll wind up encouraging people to purchase the Kindle and lean on it heavily just for free internet access. You then increase the strain on the network. I'm not in the loop on Amazon's agreement with Sprint, but I imagine Amazon probably pays Sprint based on estimated usage by book readers...not estimated usage by internet freeloaders.

Exhorbitant usage could either reduce bandwidth, or possibly drive up the cost of the device to cover costs. I like keeping the internet access as our dirty little secret...only shared with people to whom I happen to demo the device.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts