Kindle Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When my wife and I were downloading some free e-books and some we were buying from Amazon the other night, it suddenly occurred to me that this is magic.

We found books we liked and then downloaded them almost instantly to our Kindles. Some we put on both Kindles and others on either her's or mine. In a few minutes, my wife was reading one of the downloaded books on her Kindle.

The next day I was talking to our librarian about how it seemed to be magic. When we were kids, it would have seemed like magic. If I want a paper book, I have to go to the library and look through the books. Then I have to carry it to the checkout desk and have it checked out.

She agreed with me that the Kindle is magic since it is so easy to get books to read on it. And it is easy to read the books on the Kindle.

I believe that it a third faster to read a book on the Kindle than a paper book. Since the print can be made larger, it is easier to see the print so that makes it faster to read.

Also turning pages in paper books takes time that could be spent reading. With the Kindle, you just push a button and the page turns for you.

Arthur C. Clarke said Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

So I believe the Kindle is magic since we are living in a age of magic. Isn't Kindle about speed and ease of doing something, which magic is too?

So do you think of your Kindle as magic?

·
Super Moderator
67,702 Posts
My first Kindle was named "Magic Book" by a young friend of mine. . . .described it perfectly, I think!

Intellectually, I understand it to be technology, but I agree. . .it seems pretty magical. :)

·
Registered
951 Posts
I am a huge fan of electronic gadgets but there is something extra special (indeed magical) about the Kindle.  I never thought I would love one of my "toys" as much as I do my Kindle but at this point someone would have to pry it from my dead cold fingers before I would give it up.

I even bought one for my mother so I wouldn't have to share  :D

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
I love my Kindle and the eInk technology is pretty cool but to me, it's no more magical than any other technology out there at the moment. If I had to name a technology that seems like magic, it would be the XBox Kinect. I know it's basically just a motion sensor but this is a little more advanced than just a light switching on or alarm going off when it senses motion. It's completely interactive to your every little move or voice command. Touchscreens are pretty magically as well - oh, and some of the robots out there too. Very futuristic.

·
Registered
6,664 Posts
It's close enough to magic in my book to count as such.  Being able to carry an entire bookstore in one hand is pretty darn close to magic!

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
I was explaining to a friend of mine why I love playing with my Kindle - and here's the example I gave them. "It's 2:00 in the morning.  It'd be impossible to rustle up three people who wanted to spend an hour playing Monopoly with you.  But my Kindle is always there!"

And that felt like magic to me.  It's like I said "abracadabra," and then the dice started rolling and all of the Monopoly pieces started moving around the board by themselves! :)

·
Registered
8,822 Posts
I truly believe the Kindle in one of the greatest inventions of our time.....and Yes, as Crystal Gail used to sing; "We Must Believe in Magic"

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Growing up, I used to think the library was magic.  All these books and I got to choose.  So I definitely think the Kindle is magic.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I think it is definitely magical!!! It has magically made all those wasted boring moments spent waiting for lines and appointments magically disappear. :)

Me and my brother where just discussing the new 3D TV's the other day when my mother started talking about how she remembered back to watching TV in brown and white and I remember my dad talking about everyone sitting around listening to the radio... I know its just technology, but if you think about it, considering the 20,000 some years of human history the technological advances we have made in just the last 100 or so years is truly magical!!!!! As for the Kindle, Writing was starting to develop what 5,000 some years ago? The printing press itself was invented only 500 years ago which is a fraction of the time writing has been in existence and to now like others have said to be able to carry a small library worth of books in your pocket!!! How can anyone just dismiss that as simply technology?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Not even close to magical for me.  Smartphones are sweet.  Connecting my iPod Touch to a Pico Projector has been pretty neat lately too.  That whole interweb thingy ain't too shabby either!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.