Kindle Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
12,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This review indicates that Kindle "does one thing very well: downloading and displaying text."

It's critical, though, of the B&W nature of the display, its price tag ($399), and subscription price for blogs and magazines that are otherwise free via the web.

LINK

I like this ending quote:
Even so, Amazon's reader is still exciting. The reading experience it creates is just as pleasant and immersive as a book. And more important, it isn't a book; it's a library. The Kindle may be among the first devices that start to shift the way people accumulate literature, transforming shelves of books into a single device that can ride around in a briefcase.

Even with its sterile look and high price tag, it just might be adopted by law students looking to compress their pile of textbooks, or frequent business travelers tired of hauling paperbacks. McGraw-Hill (nyse: MHP - news - people ) spokesman Frank Briamonte points out that for higher education textbooks, the company's e-books are already 55% cheaper than its printed editions.

As such electronic books hit the mainstream, will they transform the publishing industry the way that the iPod has transformed the music business? Wait for Kindle 2.0--or for Apple (nasdaq: AAPL - news - people ) to invent something far more fun.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I'm curious to see if this will turn into another Zune /  iPod struggle. I'm sure that both Apple and Microsoft will jump on the band wagon, but who will get to its first. This could be Microsoft's big chance to 'one-up' Apple. Especially after iPod has been dominating the mp3 industry.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts