Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe I was naive, but I thought that books through Kindle would usually be cheaper than the phsyical version.  At least those sold by Amazon...I can imagine somewhere else selling a book cheaper in a bargin bin. 

But I came across a book - Bustin Vegas.  $9.99 on Kindle, $5.99 for the hardcover version (discounted from $24.95).  That was a bit of a disapointment.  I wish the Kindle price would be at most the hardcover version at Amazon.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I think it is unreasonable to expect Amazon to match the sale price on a bargain bin hardback with the kindle version. Note in your example the Kindle price is less than the list price of the hardback... the hardback is just steeply discounted (probably to get rid of old stock).

Just becuase they have one version of the book on sale doesn't mean they should have to also put the other version on sale.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can understand why Amazon could not set the prices the same even if they could.  They may have deals with the publisher for the ebook and cannot discount like they can the hardcovers that they actually own.  But at the same time, I'd hope they'd be able to try to "solve" the problem.  It is a minor problem though, so I can understand if no one else cares.  The way I look at it, it will cost Amazon more money to sell me the lower priced book.  That's why it doesn't make business sense, although again - I understand if they are restricted from lowering the Kindle price, but not restricted from lowering the hardcover price.  The solution is to discuss this issue with the publisher to see if they can work something out so everyone wins. 

·
Registered
737 Posts
This could also be a case of the left hand (Amazon Kindle sales) not knowing what the right hand (Amazon DTB sales) is doing.

I've heard of people sending an email to Amazon C/S and pointing out the pricing discrepency and several days later the Kbook price drops.  Give it a try.

·
Registered
723 Posts
If I want a book that is cheaper in hard copy than in E-version
I will buy the hard copy ESPECIALLY if it is hard cover.

I still LIKE real books!

EL

·
Registered
115 Posts
ELDogStar said:
If I want a book that is cheaper in hard copy than in E-version
I will buy the hard copy ESPECIALLY if it is hard cover.

I still LIKE real books!

EL
Exactly, I feel the same way.

But it's a rare occasion that the NEW HARDBACK is cheaper than the ebook price.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
LaraAmber said:
I think it would be unrealistic to expect Amazon to beat any other price. Books go into the discount bin, get mass produced for Costco, etc.

Lara Amber
Agreed. I'm sure Amazon is doing it's best to keep prices low for the consumer yet be profitable.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I really do not get the complaints when Amazon has a sale price on a DTB version that makes it less than the eVersion  - note: I am talking sales price, not cover price (which Amazon doesn't even set BTW - and i can understand some concerns if the list prices on DTBs are lower) as the price Amazon lists is their sale price with any discounts they give.

One would expect a case pop to be cheaper than buying two 12 packs.. would you complain if a store ran a sale so that you can get the 2 12 packs less than the case? it is really no different...

I just don't understand why people think that if a sale is offered on one version, the other versions should also be one an equivelent sale.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't understand what there is that people "don't get".  Almost every book is cheaper on Kindle.  I ran across one book that wasn't cheaper.  That was news to me and it was surprising.  If it is 85 degrees and sunny every day in Maui for 5,000 straight days, and then one days it rains, isn't that a surprise?  Yes.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
It all depends on your perspective, Hugh.  If you bought a kindle thinking that books would always be cheaper, you are bound to be disappointed in the long run.

On the other hand, if you bought a kindle b/c books are always available, and you've already been warned off going to the Barnes and Noble in your bunny jammies, you'll always be fairly content.  If not occasionally surprised at prices. 

And if you're lazy all the way to the bone like I am, and cost isn't really an issue (because we're not talking hundreds of dollars difference between ebooks and hard cover books), any price is worth the price of not having to go out into the wild and hunt down the book yourself.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
robin.goodfellow said:
And if you're lazy all the way to the bone like I am, and cost isn't really an issue (because we're not talking hundreds of dollars difference between ebooks and hard cover books), any price is worth the price of not having to go out into the wild and hunt down the book yourself.
This is so true, even at a higher price, im still saving because less of my time is spent in the hunt

·
Registered
100 Posts
robin.goodfellow said:
On the other hand, if you bought a kindle b/c books are always available, and you've already been warned off going to the Barnes and Noble in your bunny jammies, you'll always be fairly content. If not occasionally surprised at prices.
Exactly. If the sole reason you bought the Kindle was to save money, i think you made the wrong choice. How many ebooks do you have to buy before you make up the cost of the hardware alone??? There is more to it than money.

·
Registered
4,791 Posts
Agree with the last 3....I sure prefer cheaper when possible, but convenience is just as important to me when we're only talking about a couple of bucks. :) Yes, a couple of bucks per book adds up, but *most* books I get aren't more expensive in Kindle version. Even if they're equal, I'm fine with that for the convenience factor of downloading immediately versus waiting even a day for delivery. Let alone driving somewhere. Let's face it, if I have to drive to a bookstore, I would usually spend MORE to justify having to drive somewhere...

·
Registered
11,848 Posts
I bought my K1 for convenience.  Convenience in reading, buying, and the fact that I don't have to decide what I might want to read next week and drag those books along with me in my travels.  Convenience comes with a price in just about everything.  Kindle is no different.

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
robin.goodfellow said:
On the other hand, if you bought a kindle b/c books are always available, and you've already been warned off going to the Barnes and Noble in your bunny jammies, you'll always be fairly content. If not occasionally surprised at prices.
LOL!! Another "tea spewing on the keyboard moment" courtesy of Kindleboards.......

·
Registered
43,324 Posts
If you were so inclined, you could fill your Kindle to capacity (whatever that might be with SD cards)with free books, read all them, and do it all over again without spending any money. It wouldn't be the newest stuff but classic reads.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Chad Winters said:
LOL!! Another "tea spewing on the keyboard moment" courtesy of Kindleboards.......
Rest assured: The managers at B&N do NOT see the humor in bunny jammies, or those bedroom shoes that look like giant fluffy bear feet with claws. Good luck with that keyboard. Maybe the late night people at Best Buy are more laid back.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts