Kindle Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our oldest three all got kindle fires for Christmas. We downloaded the Kindle Kids Free time program for them.
It is 2.99 per child per month or 6.99 for up to 6 kids under one household. A great deal to keep my kids quiet and happy.
It includes unlimited apps, a huge selection of books, movies and tv shows.
I'm just wondering how authors are getting paid for the books in this library? Maybe similar to select or is Amazon paying for rights on them? Anyone know?

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Amazon bought a children's publishing house among many other acquisitions. That could be the feeder, but I don't know for sure--haven't explored it. If so, those authors/illustrators likely get whatever their original contract called for (just guessing, 10 percent of cover price, although Amazon might have offered new deals to the creators. With the Dorchester acquisition, they gave authors the choice of staying or leaving, but I don't know if they offered new terms. If I recall right, many of those Leisure authors were making the same as their paperback royalties for ebooks, but that was years ago. Yes, at one time writers were grateful for a 6 percent ebook royalty...) There is also a lot of material in public domain--I noticed in foreign markets Amazon is selling a lot of that.

I hope Amazon acquires my children's books! Enjoy the service, sounds cool.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I looked through the book selection. It didn't appear to have any self-pubs. Maybe that day will come eventually.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts