Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
David Leonhardt's article in today's NY Times (To Spend or to Save? Trick Question) mentions Kindle and Kindle books in describing spending as an investment vs spending as consumption:
"Frequent book buyers who don't mind screen reading can by the new Kindle. It costs $359, but most new books then cost less than $10."
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/11/business/economy/11leonhardt.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=tricky%20question&st=cse

Anyone looking for one more justification for that new K2 - the behavioral economists have officially blessed it!

Glynnis (who was also glad to see that my seltzer maker also made the list of recommendations!)

·
Registered
433 Posts
I like where he says our spending too much got us into this mess and the solution is to spend more.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
durphy said:
I like where he says our spending too much got us into this mess and the solution is to spend more.
LOL. If it doesn't work just throw money at it. If your broke just spend more! :eek: ;D

·
Registered
5,981 Posts
I believe the argument is to buy items that might be expensive but will quickly lower your weekly bills because you spend less. A Brita Water Filter system (or Pur) costs something up front but saves yo money by not buying tons of bottled water. A Seltzer maker costs money up fronts but saves you money by not buying botteled seltzer water. A coffee pot and coffee costs you up front but saves you from spending tons at Starbucks.

A Kindle is expensive up front, but for readers who buy books when they first come out, subscribe to newspapers, and subscribe to magazines are likely to save money pretty quickly. I know that I would save $12 a month if I bought the NY Times on my Kindle as opposed to in print. (I don't buy it either way, this is just an example). If you read two or three papers and subscribe to magazines you are going to make back the cost of the Kindle pretty quickly.

It is the idea of smart spending and it is not a bad one. I think a Kindle is a bit much but the Brita filter and the like make sense to me. Save yourself some cash and do somethng earth friendly all in one. I don't drink Seltzer water so I can't comment on that but it sounds like the same general idea.

·
Registered
736 Posts
With the price of paperbacks going up, and even with deep Amazon discounts, I still love the Kindle pricing.  Wish we could solve the economic crisis with our Kindles!

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I like where he says our spending too much got us into this mess and the solution is to spend more
Okay, I made really bad grades in economics, but even I get that what he's saying here boils down to "if it's broken, break it more."

I think if you, personally, are carrying more debt than you're ever likely to pay off, the first thing to do is quit spending money on things that are not essentials. Or, as one of my more sensical professors used to say "If you find yourself in a hole, quit digging." And even though I love books, I have to admit they are not as essential as, say, the water bill. As much as might like them to be as essential as water, I can go to work without having read a book. I cannot go without having had a shower.

·
Registered
224 Posts
^^^ truth!

we just borrowed almost a trillion dollars from our grand kids !

·
Registered
5,981 Posts
robin.goodfellow said:
Okay, I made really bad grades in economics, but even I get that what he's saying here boils down to "if it's broken, break it more."

I think if you, personally, are carrying more debt than you're ever likely to pay off, the first thing to do is quit spending money on things that are not essentials. Or, as one of my more sensical professors used to say "If you find yourself in a hole, quit digging." And even though I love books, I have to admit they are not as essential as, say, the water bill. As much as might like them to be as essential as water, I can go to work without having read a book. I cannot go without having had a shower.
That is not really what he is saying. He is saying that there are ways to decrease your expenditures with a larger up front purchase. It makes sense for some things, like coffee or tea. It is cheaper to buy a coffee machine and coffee then to buy coffee from Starbucks, Dunken Doughnuts, and McDonalds. It is cheaper to buy a Brita filter and a nalgene bottles (my preference is the Klean Kanteen, pure recycled aluminum) then spend what you spend on bottled water.

The Kindle suggestion doesn't make sense to me because there are ways to read for free. When I lost my job, I rediscovered the library. The library has newspapers, books, and magazines. It is not as convienent as having them delivered to the home but they are available for free. Tavar was a gift, one I received after I had a new job and could afford to buy books. Perhaps this suggestion is meant for the Wall Street folks who are going to be limited to $500,000 pay check and not the average American who is struggling.

Then again, I know folks who are unemployed and continue to take vacations and stay in five star hotels when they could crash with friends. It makes no sense to me.

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Hmmm I'm of two minds on this.  Do I be frugal and buy that Milk frother from Amazon and chocolate syrup or do I continue to help starbucks stay in business??  :eek:

oh wait! I save $40 a month buying the frother, think of what I could use that for???? Books!!! Ok sorry starbucks, I've got to keep amazon going! ;D ::)

theresam

oooohh or save of for k3

·
Registered
788 Posts
I think I'm single-handedly keeping the local Starbucks in business. But I don't know what I'd do without them! I brew coffee at home but it's not the same  :'(

·
Registered
5,981 Posts
bkworm8it said:
Hmmm I'm of two minds on this. Do I be frugal and buy that Milk frother from Amazon and chocolate syrup or do I continue to help starbucks stay in business?? :eek:

oh wait! I save $40 a month buying the frother, think of what I could use that for???? Books!!! Ok sorry starbucks, I've got to keep amazon going! ;D ::)

theresam

oooohh or save of for k3
heheheh I know folks who would save $40 a week if they bought a frother and made their own drinks. The folks I am surrounded by at work are spending somewhere in the neighborhood of $5 a day buying their lattess, cocoas, and other drinks. They think I am nuts because of all the tea I buy and make at the office. I point out that it takes me six months to match what they spend in a month. I would imagine that coffee would be similar.

There are plenty of folks who are concerned about their jobs who are spending money in ways that don't make sense to me. We all have different priorities. The point is that there are ways of saving money in the long run if you are willing to spend the money in the short run.

So if you really love your frothed hot cocoa or lattees, buy the frother and make your own espresso drinks at home. There are stove based espresso makers that work great and are pretty inexpensive. Enjoy your drink and save money.

I still think the Kindle idea is silly. Go to the fricking library or borrow books from your friends.

Mikuto try this:

http://www.zaccardis.com/bialetti-moka-express-stove-top-espresso-makers.html

It makes really yummy espresso. I bought my first one when I loved in Italy and have one at home now which I use to make Yerba Matte Lattes. You use ground espresso beans in it, the steam causes the water to percolate up and you get the more intense espresso taste. All of my Italain friends used these to make their coffee. And if anyone knows good espresso, I would say it is the Italians.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Mikuto said:
I think I'm single-handedly keeping the local Starbucks in business. But I don't know what I'd do without them! I brew coffee at home but it's not the same :'(
I have only had 1 cup of Starbucks coffee.

I would rather feed my dog for a week than buy one coup of overpriced coffee.

I do drink lots of coffee and mostly make my own (believer in K-Kups)

Eric

·
Registered
788 Posts
ELDogStar said:
I have only had 1 cup of Starbucks coffee.

I would rather feed my dog for a week than buy one coup of overpriced coffee.

I do drink lots of coffee and mostly make my own (believer in K-Kups)

Eric
I don't drink Starbucks coffee. I drink Lattes. If I liked the taste of coffee I wouldn't go to Starbucks ;). (And the drinks are not 5 dollars guys. I pay maybe 3.15 for mine.)

·
Registered
206 Posts
That's exactly what I put up on facebook! I said I was helping the economy, aka spending money to buy a Kindle 2! Seems like I was right!  :D

·
Registered
7,047 Posts
I absolutely love coffee - but drink instant even tho I live in Mexico where we can get good beans :'( Will not drink Starbucks - too overpriced, but then we don't have Starbucks where I live, so that's a non-statement ::) or a Duncan or any other of them there places ;D

·
Registered
137 Posts
The list of items that he suggests purchasing for long-term savings were my Christmas list - home seltzer maker, Kindle, etc... I guess I am in good economic health!  So now how do I justify my purchase of Kindle 2??? Hmmm...

1 - 20 of 40 Posts