Kindle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All-

I've been hunting around various FAQs and could not find an answer to this question. A friend pointed me to this board as The Place To Ask.

Before I enter into the long wait for a new Kindle, I wanted to know if it is possible to 'lock down' a Kindle to make sure that other people do not download material I don't want, fiddle with screensaver settings, and the like. I ask this based on previous experience where friends/loved ones have 'accidentally' ended up charging my account by downloading iTunes or Xbox Live content or have fiddled with settings so much it takes ages to restore my preferences (if anyone has a curious child, they may have also experienced this).

So is it possible to lock down a Kindle so I don't have to worry about weird content being loaded on it via USB, having stuff downloaded and charged to my account, and so on. I'm stuck between my urge to share (show off) my new toy and "don't move my cheese" tendencies!

Thanks for your help!

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
You can't "lockdown" your Kindle, put a password on it, etc.

If you handed over your Kindle to someone and wandered away, they could figure out how to turn on the Whispernet, go to the Kindle store and buy stuff which would be charged to your card. But really, that would take alot of fast learning on their part to do this.

Hooking up the Kindle via USB, downloading screensavers, etc. would be really hard for someone to do quickly and easily. I suppose if you lent it to someone overnight they could make these sort of changes. So, your best protection in all cases would be for your to demo your Kindle and only let someone else touch it when you are there and supervising.

L

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Betsy the Quilter said:
Leslie,

If you turn off one-click, would that impact buying through the Kindle?

Betsy
No...you can still shop in the Kindle store on your Kindle, even if one-click is turned off on you Amazon account. I think that even if you are not logged in to Amazon on any computer, you can still buy stuff on your Kindle.

L

·
Premium Member
63,461 Posts
Hi, Ameger,

welcome to Kindleboards and congratulations on your first post and on your pending Kindle!  Be sure to head over to Introductions and tell us a little bit more about yourself.  When you order your Kindle, you will officially be on Kindlewatch.  We love sharing Kindlewatch with prospective owners, there's a separate thread for it!

As Leslie said, downloading books onto the Kindle is not quite as straightforward as in iTunes.  And fiddling with the screensavers is not simple at all, many people trying to change the screensavers find it difficult.

There also aren't a whole lot of preferences that can be individually set.  I think the only issue would be the downloading, and you always have seven days to return a book.  If you're concerned, I would just keep an eye on your content.  You can sort content by recently added and make sure that anything on there is something you added.

Betsy

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi All-

Thanks so much for your prompt replies.

I find it weird that there isn't at least a password prompt (like there is on the iPhone, or even on Amazon's own webstore) for purchasing content over the Kindle.

I guess I'll have to watch it like a hawk and extract oaths in blood to not run up my bill if I let a friend borrow it for a few hours!

·
Registered
175 Posts
If you do find that someone downloads a book by accident, someone told me that there is a 7 day return period.

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
ameger said:
I guess I'll have to watch it like a hawk and extract oaths in blood to not run up my bill if I let a friend borrow it for a few hours!
If you are anything like the rest of us, once you have your Kindle, you won't be able to lend it to a friend for a few hours!

L

·
Registered
731 Posts
Here's another hint for you:

When showing off whispernet to onlookers, downloading a sample is just as impressive as buying a new book.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Leslie said:
No...you can still shop in the Kindle store on your Kindle, even if one-click is turned off on you Amazon account. I think that even if you are not logged in to Amazon on any computer, you can still buy stuff on your Kindle.

L
I have One-Click turned off on my regular Amazon account and it does not affect using my Kindle. Also I buy things in airports and places where I am not logged on to Amazon and it still works from my Kindle. You do need to have a credit card on file.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Once you have your kindle in your hand I think you may not be lending it to folks.  Do you lend your toothbrush to anyone that asks?

·
Premium Member
19,280 Posts
Dori said:
Once you have your kindle in your hand I think you may not be lending it to folks. Do you lend your toothbrush to anyone that asks?
Hahahahah, good one, Dori!

L

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
If there was a purchasing lock on the kindle...I think my mom could regulate my one-click. It would be good for parents with tweens/teens with no credit card.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
I know you were kidding, but I love accessorizing my K (although on a collegestudent budget)...I also like the idea of locking my K...considering I have been keeping my journal entries on my K, now. (recently been typing them out) There are certain members of the family that have admitted they read my journals (grr!), which is why I prefer to carry my journals with me. Adding it to my K, laptop, and flashdrive labelled as にっき or Nikki (the japanese word for diary/journal...although on my K its labelled as Nikki on my K, since Jap isn't supposed by the K)
my journals from the last five years...not including my current two or digitized ones:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts